Photocell or LDR for screen detection?

Guest Dad Rail

Guest Dad Rail

Hi Everybody, my first post on this forum!

Strictly speaking I'm not building a flight sim cockpit but rather a train sim cab, however there doesn't seem to be a community for such projects!

What I would like to find out is can i use an LDR or a photo cell to detect when part of my computer screen goes from black to white? The software i am using OpenBVE has no way of sending data to external programs, however i need to get information from the software to trigger relays to make various aspects of the simulator work.

I am able to change the way various indications are shown in the game and displayed on the screen, for example i can have a bank of indicators showing either black for off, or white for on displayed at the bottom of the screen. If i was to build a surround for each of these indicators and point a LDR / Photosensor at them, would the change in colour and light level be enough to activate these sensors? I can then link the sensor to a relay to display the nessecary indications in the real cab.

I can interface commands back to the software using an x keys interface, and plan to use a 2nd monitor to display the speedo and other gauges,

Any help or advice would be amazing, and hope you don't mind me invading your forum, but some of your work is amazing so I'm sure that the experts in here will be able to help.

Archived