Which is the best Windows version for FSX?

Badger

Hi, I am planning to upgrade or completely rebuild my desktop PC.

Currently, I have Win10 on it because "it has upgraded" me.

Win10 runs alright but this computer will primarily be use for FSX. Since upgrading the motherboard I will have to buy a Windows CD.

In your opinion, which Windows version is working best with FSX...Win7 ...Win8.1 ...or Win10?

Also, my pc is about 5 years old and has a liquid cooler installed. Would the liquid cooler not be as effective with time? Should I replace it?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

It may be worth bearing in mind that support for windows 7 ends in January 2020. So no security updates.

Some have reported issues since upgrading to Windows 10 but many use it without issue, as I do.

Don't want to have to rebuild again !

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for your replies. I appreciate it very much!

About the liquid cooler, since it is a sealed unit, it should be ok after 5 years?

My wife and I built our 1. desktop pc especially for flight-sim about 10 years ago and it worked well. 5 years later we had one build. It was expensive but worked

well. Now, after so many add-ons we would like to build or rebuild one

again. We hope to save some money this way and build a pc where most of FSX could run pretty much maxed out.

At a later date, I would like to post what we have in our current FSX PC and what we would like to replace it with. We have a large case with some very good fans. So, that should be a good starting point.

Again, I if I could get your opinions for the next desktop, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks again.

Win 7 would be best. Hell! Win XP would be best! But since you didn't know how to shut off the Win 10 update you're stuck unless you want to reinstall. You can still get Win 7.

I don't use updates so I don't care about Win 10 crap. No, I've never had malware or anything. Yet I bet people that use Win 10 still get malware. I only use an update if it fixes an issue. Win 10 IMO is garbage.

Oh, liquid cooling is fine. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Yes my friend, As the other friends said, the best windows for running FSX smoothly is Windows 10. If you have a good PC with a good graphic card and DX10 fixer, Windows 10 will have a better performance than Windows 7.

I myself have a very good hardware and months a go, I used windows 7 but I always had problem tuning FSX but after I upgraded to Windows 10 now everything is working better with now stutter :)

+1.

The thing that makes people not like Win 8/8.1/10 I believe is the user interface, and I do think that MS really screwed things up for themselves by wanting to have the same interface for phones, tablets and PCs. Interestingly, I have read somewhere that the product manager that pushed the decision on that interface through is no longer with MS.

But why run things like that manager wanted us to? I run everything off my desktop, that at least gives it the look of Win 7 and before. And, under that shell that the interface is, the OS itself is fast and reliable.

Now, I do have one question: I have Win 10 Home Single Language. Will there be any performance benefits, FSX-wise, by upgrading to Win 10 Pro?

Jorgen

Something else to consider is that the latest generations of processors from both Intel and AMD are only supported under Windows 10. Earlier versions of Windows will probably run, but won't be able to take advantage of new features in the CPUs, and there won't be any bug fixes if there's a problem.

I only use an update if it fixes an issue.

That is precisely what most of the Windows updates are doing, fixing something, especially security holes. The recent WannaCry ransomware attack was only a threat to those that hadn't updated their OS, for example. No version of Windows is completely immune to viruses and malware, however, each version is more secure than the last.

No doubt in my mind...Windows XP Professional x64. It's still the best OS for FSX but it's not so good for almost everything else. That said, the next best bet is Windows 7. Life is full of of trade-offs.........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

That is precisely what most of the Windows updates are doing, fixing something, especially security holes. The recent WannaCry ransomware attack was only a threat to those that hadn't updated their OS, for example. No version of Windows is completely immune to viruses and malware, however, each version is more secure than the last.

If I'm not mistaken, WannaCry gets into your computer via port 445. I turn off Netbios and don't use Winblows networking. I don't even share the printer over the network. I do run a pretty tight ship. I haven't had an infection since 2004 when I ran Windows 98se. Since then I've learned quite a bit about computers, networking security and websites. I have my own website. It's not to say you shouldn't update your computer, but I just chose not to. I have seen more problems then they fix. I have maybe a total of 4 updates in my new computer build and so far I don't have any issues related to not using an update.

Here's a partial list of what updates do can do. Never mind the fact it can prevent FS from running.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i-have-three-machines-all-saturating-a-cpu-core-forever-with-windows-update.2491444/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/windows-10-updates-automatically-reboots-and-then-stuck.2491473/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/windows-10-update-dam.2489532/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win-7-update-headaches-and-confusion.2489403/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/odd-windows-update.2489266/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win7s-windows-update-may-be-made-of-squirrels.2489213/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/windows-10-anniversary-update-has-me-pulling-my-hair-out.2489857/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/issue-with-windows-10-update.2492601/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win10-may-have-a-new-networking-issue.2494274/#post-38625961

https://www.computerforum.com/threads/i-need-help-because-this-is-pisting-me-off.240871/

No, I don't use Win 10 and plan on never using it for may years to come too. I don 't like there forced updates and spying/AD crap they have integrated into YOUR OS now. When and if I do use Win 10 I'll deploy Pfsense firewall and block the ASN ranges of M$.

Ain't no one got time for that! i.e. Spying, AD BS and all that rot.

Full disclosure, I use Win 7.

The phrase "don't knock it until you've tried it" springs to mind here - you really shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet! I remember many reports of Windows 7 updates which apparently caused problems for some people but had no effect for most so it's nothing new. Windows has to work with an almost infinite number of possible software and hardware combinations so it's inevitable that it will occasionally come up against something that hasn't been anticipated. No OS is infallible in this respect.

Windows 7 and 8 collect almost as much data as Windows 10, they just don't get the same amount of publicity. The amount of personal data you give away to the likes of Google and social media apps every time you use them would probably make Microsoft green with envy. Using free software like O&O Shutup10, it takes just a couple of minutes to disable all of the data collection functions in Windows 10. As for updates, it's easy to restrict them to just security updates (which I consider essential if you ever connect your system to the Internet). If an update does affect your system, it's quite straightforward to unload it and prevent it from re-updating. If you are determined not to have updates at all in Windows 10 (a bad idea, in my opinion), you can turn off the update process, but then you potentially leave your system vulnerable.

If you're happy with Windows 7, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that you should change. However, I would say that you shouldn't criticise Windows 10 based solely on what you've read about it (particularly on forums), especially when so many industry professionals praise it in reviews.

I agree! There are so many urban legends on the net about Windows 10.

Google knows far more than MS would ever know.

For those that have mobile (smart) phones, obviously, with Android, you sign up using a Gmail account, the minute you do that......

Google actually knows exactly where you go, what places you go to, & how much time you spend there, & will ask you about it. If you have your phone with you, it knows how many times you go to the loo, & how long you spend there. It tracks your google searches, & recommends sites based on that.

Myself, I rather prefer an updated operating system, with all the necessary patches, running on current hardware, than an older OS, running on hardware that is obviously not optimised for older software.

But, to each their own!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

you really shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet!

There's nothing that I'm reading about on the Internet. A) It does spy on you to serve ADs, does it not? It's like they made your OS like a smartphone and B) I said it forces updates on you which it does, am I wrong? Do you not have to use a bunch of asinine tools to take back control of your own OS?

The only thing going out to M$ on my computers is the Internet query to check for a live Internet connection. And it was also the time but I changed that to time.nist.gov.

If you have a live Internet connection, even if you're not actively using the Internet, your system is potentially at risk if you don't install security updates. If you're happy with that, fine. I'm not, which is why I regularly install security updates.

Well, to each his own I guess. But I gotta tell you. I haven't used hardly any M$ updates since I had my first laptop with 98se in 2004 and I have never gotten a virus or have been "hacked" or anything like that. I do run a tight ship and use many malware scanners including ones meant to get rid of what was known as government spyware. Nothing ever shows up. Like I already stated. You can update to your hearts content, but you WILL still be just as vulnerable to acquire a polymorphic malware or virus, etc. It's the nature of the beast that is Windows. Linux on the other hand has a lot going for it. Though it's not full proof, but certainly better than Windows in terms of security.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say no one should use updates and all that. You should, but I chose not to unless it's to fix an issue I have encountered and that's been far a few between. I do install Service Packs and I run Win 7 with SP1.

How good is shutup10? I've heard these little tools aren't that great and some how M$ reverts its settings right back to default somehow. I may install 10 in VMware and check out shutup10 and monitor the network.

It's very good. My experience is that it's generally only the major updates (like the Creators Update) which reset the settings as your effectively getting a new version of the OS.

So despite running Shutup10, a giant upgrade is forced on you anyway? Or do you have the option to allow it?

• 2 months later...
There are times, late at night I really miss my Pentium 60 Acer computer with if I remember FS95. No Viruses to be concerned with, great frame rates. Meigs was still an operational airport.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Archived