Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best Windows version for FSX?

Quote Originally Posted by lesh View Post
    you really shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet!
    There's nothing that I'm reading about on the Internet. A) It does spy on you to serve ADs, does it not? It's like they made your OS like a smartphone and B) I said it forces updates on you which it does, am I wrong? Do you not have to use a bunch of asinine tools to take back control of your own OS?

The only thing going out to M$ on my computers is the Internet query to check for a live Internet connection. And it was also the time but I changed that to time.nist.gov.

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | i5 6600k | 2666 MHz Ballistix Tactical RAM | Crucial MX300 256GB SSD | 1 TB Hitachi platter | GTX 560TI |Logitech Z 5300 5.1 audio | Logitech mouse/keyboard, feed the mouse
    My forum project

I actually want the updates. Before Windows 10, I always updated my operating systems to keep them current. I certainly am not happy with obsolete stuff on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    There's nothing that I'm reading about on the Internet. A) It does spy on you to serve ADs, does it not? It's like they made your OS like a smartphone and B) I said it forces updates on you which it does, am I wrong? Do you not have to use a bunch of asinine tools to take back control of your own OS?

The only thing going out to M$ on my computers is the Internet query to check for a live Internet connection. And it was also the time but I changed that to time.nist.gov.
    To answer your questions (for me at least):

A. I've never had a single ad since installing Win10. It's nothing like a smartphone. My desktop looks remarkably like earlier versions of Windows (not a tile in site) and, in my opinion, even has a slightly better version of the Start Menu.

B. As I said in an earlier post, you can completely stop updates if you're foolish enough to want to. Far from being asinine, O&O Shutup10 is actually quiet a simple, clever piece of software which is very effective.

If you have a live Internet connection, even if you're not actively using the Internet, your system is potentially at risk if you don't install security updates. If you're happy with that, fine. I'm not, which is why I regularly install security updates.
    Last edited by lesh; 07-26-2017 at 08:59 PM.

If you have a live Internet connection, even if you're not actively using the Internet, your system is potentially at risk if you don't install security updates. If you're happy with that, fine. I'm not, which is why I regularly install security updates.
    Well, to each his own I guess. But I gotta tell you. I haven't used hardly any M$ updates since I had my first laptop with 98se in 2004 and I have never gotten a virus or have been "hacked" or anything like that. I do run a tight ship and use many malware scanners including ones meant to get rid of what was known as government spyware. Nothing ever shows up. Like I already stated. You can update to your hearts content, but you WILL still be just as vulnerable to acquire a polymorphic malware or virus, etc. It's the nature of the beast that is Windows. Linux on the other hand has a lot going for it. Though it's not full proof, but certainly better than Windows in terms of security.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say no one should use updates and all that. You should, but I chose not to unless it's to fix an issue I have encountered and that's been far a few between. I do install Service Packs and I run Win 7 with SP1.

How good is shutup10? I've heard these little tools aren't that great and some how M$ reverts its settings right back to default somehow. I may install 10 in VMware and check out shutup10 and monitor the network.

Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | i5 6600k | 2666 MHz Ballistix Tactical RAM | Crucial MX300 256GB SSD | 1 TB Hitachi platter | GTX 560TI |Logitech Z 5300 5.1 audio | Logitech mouse/keyboard, feed the mouse
    My forum project

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    How good is shutup10? I've heard these little tools aren't that great and some how M$ reverts its settings right back to default somehow.
    It's very good. My experience is that it's generally only the major updates (like the Creators Update) which reset the settings as your effectively getting a new version of the OS.

+1.

And the price is right....

Jorgen

It's very good. My experience is that it's generally only the major updates (like the Creators Update) which reset the settings as your effectively getting a new version of the OS.

So despite running Shutup10, a giant upgrade is forced on you anyway? Or do you have the option to allow it?

My forum project

You can disable the automatic updates in Shutup10.

Jorgen

There are times, late at night I really miss my Pentium 60 Acer computer with if I remember FS95. No Viruses to be concerned with, great frame rates. Meigs was still an operational airport.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Blog Entries

I still use Vista64 it's best to me and the only thing I use from Internet with FSX is the Wheater any other new things you run in computer now in days you have to be on the game tha Microsoft PLAY "Control " the World

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast