Wibbly-Wobbly Flight Trajectories When Using FS2004 Real World Weather.

flyingheavymetal

Every time I use FS2004 I go for the real world weather option in order to maximize realism instead of using a default pre-set theme. However I frequently encounter what appear to be upper level wind 'shears' during climb and sometimes during cruise which cause my aircraft to zig-zag across the sky in the most unrealistic of fashions. These mostly seem to occur between FL 270 or 27,000 feet and FL 330 or 33,000 feet and also have been known to affect surrounding AI aircraft into flying wibbly-wobbly flight trajectories too when present.

Now I have 3,500 hours real world flight experience under my belt and at no time have I ever come across such violent and disruptive wind exchanges when flying through and in upper level winds. This I can compare with wind shear encounters mostly involving LLWS (low level wind shear) which I have encountered in the past and even at one point written a lecturette on for the Royal Aeronautical Society's N E Rowe Competition - so I know my wind shear mechanics.

Lucky me ... Once every so often the same thing affects my real world weather again but this time at low level and approach altitudes. Two weeks ago I descended to 7000 feet IFR doing the ILS 06 Approach into Edinburgh Turnhouse / EGPH without a problem. Then between 7000 and 3000 feet I encountered frequent shears every three minutes which altered my airspeed -15 knots below target IAS and caused the nose to swing 7 degrees left and right of target heading. Below 3000 feet the disruptions which occurred every two minutes altered my IAS so dangerously I nearly abandoned and diverted to alternate. In fact with an approach speed of 167 KIAS I was very surprized that the aircraft didn't stall on every -20 knot airspeed drop. The nose only stopped veering wildly too when APP or Approach Mode was engaged using the Autopilot.

What causes FS2004 to behave like this as it has always been highly annoying for somebody wanting to emulate real world flying conditions. Can anything be done please or is anybody aware of any fixes which are available / where from so this issue can be alleviated or dealt with?

'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

It's the wind shift bug as you move from one weather level boundary to the next. The fix is to use a 3rd party weather program that attempts to smooth out the shifts. Default FSX has the same thing.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Jim, Hi and i hope you are well.

Thank you for this advice and your suggestion which points me towards using Activesky or something similar for FS2004.

I will seriously look into this - I have nominated Activesky as I have heard of that before but understand that it is one option of several which are available. Away goes me to do some homework :o)

Thanks Again!

'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

Archived