Serious Newbie looking to go mainstream

Guest 151515

Guest 151515

I haven't Flown last since 2007,

Right when FSX Deluxe edition came out, and it was a $70 game.

I recently bought a new laptop with the following specs.

2.4Ghz Core i3 7th Gen Processor

6 GB RAM

1TB HDD Space

Windows 10 Operating System

Looking to get back in the air for the first time in 10 years. need advice

• 2 weeks later...

Forget it. 2.4 Ghz and no video card. Get real. FSX won't happen.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi Chuck,

A bit rude and over opinionated in your response........as usual.

You, like many other people, seem to have forgotten that, whilst FSX has not evolved, the PC has.

First, it is evident from many posts in the forum that there are users out there that can and do run FSX on low powered CPUs like an i3 2.4s. Yes, they don't get the 'sparkling' performance that a more powerful CPU offers but they are able to still run the basic sim at a reasonable level but must give careful thought as to what addons they may add.

Second, just because the user has not stated any video card details does not mean that there isn't a dedicated one fitted. That said, again it is evident that some users can run FSX using the inbuilt GPU.

The OP states that the rig is new with a 7th gen CPU and, therefore, it is likely to be made to very recent specifications. As with many things. PCs and their internal fittings (be it the CPU, GPU, drives, memory chips, etc) are constantly evolving and it is standard nowadays for many laptops to have fairly decent internal GPU specs to meet modern consumer requirements of streaming/playing HD quality videos and to do other multi-media tasks etc. In some cases a 7th Gen i3 GPU can be more powerful and capable than a 3rd, 4th or 5th or even some low end 6th generation i5 CPUs and possible some older low end i7s.

@ 151515.....

As requested by jeroen79, can you be more specific about what advice you want. For example, do you still own your original copy of FSX and are looking to install it or are you wanting advice on what other sims are available etc......

Regards

Brian

Brian,

Hey if you can't handle the truth, at this point, then you will have to handle it later. Why give him false hopes. You say can run FSX. Yes, but at 12 fps you can't land a 747. Why you choose to pretend he has a didicated GPU is beyond me. Other than for arguments sake. He wanted advice he got it. If you deem that being 'rude' then continue to live in your fantasy world but don't put me down for what is YOUR hang up. Nicey nice gets you no where in the Sim world OR in real life. Facts are not opinion. So you owe me (and the OP) an apology.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Brian,

Hey if you can't handle the truth, at this point, then you will have to handle it later. Why give him false hopes. You say can run FSX. Yes, but at 12 fps you can't land a 747. Why you choose to pretend he has a didicated GPU is beyond me. Other than for arguments sake. He wanted advice he got it. If you deem that being 'rude' then continue to live in your fantasy world but don't put me down for what is YOUR hang up. Nicey nice gets you no where in the Sim world OR in real life. Facts are not opinion. So you owe me (and the OP) an apology.

Chuck B

Napamule

The fact is modern 2.4 GHz processors are faster than the same speed models from even 5 years ago. Same goes for the integrated GPUs.

Also, many run the sim on similar machines quite happily. The settings must be kept down and frame rates won't be great, but the users are still happy. You don't get to decide whether they will be happy or not.

Well he is going to need a LOT of help. Are you willing to invest your time to help him get FSX running? I am. But since he is a 'newbie' at both computers and FSX it's going to be a task that will take weeks. He is not going to be happy about THAT.

He had 1 HDrive. He needs 2 HDrives. It's be shown that installing FSX on C: drive creates a bottleneck that can't be overcome with more ram, for example. Virtual memory has to set up. He has to download and update his Motherboard Chip Set Drivers. He needs to get rid of bloatware (I am sure it's there - unless he built the rig himself) that runs in the background if he expects FSX to run at more than a slide show. He needs to tweak the FSX cfg. He needs to run FSX with no clouds and reduced sliders for everything. And when he does run FSX his rig will overheat and shut down in mid flight even on short trips. Got the picture?

Chuck B

Napamule

He had 1 HDrive. He needs 2 HDrives. It's be shown that installing FSX on C: drive creates a bottleneck that can't be overcome with more ram, for example.

No he doesn't. Two may run better, but is in no way a requirement.

Virtual memory has to set up.

The default page file settings generally work quite well, even for FSX. And setting them to a fixed size isn't that difficult.

He has to download and update his Motherboard Chip Set Drivers.

Again, good to do, but not a requirement.

He needs to get rid of bloatware (I am sure it's there - unless he built the rig himself) that runs in the background if he expects FSX to run at more than a slide show.

Why don't we wait to hear more about the system before making assumptions?

He needs to tweak the FSX cfg.

There are plenty of guides to use. And many also find they don't need to edit much, if anything, in the config file.

He needs to run FSX with no clouds and reduced sliders for everything.

Sure, As has been said a couple of times now, some settings will need to be reduced.

And when he does run FSX his rig will overheat and shut down in mid flight even on short trips.

Unless the PC was very poorly built, no it will not overheat.

Got the picture?

There are plenty of people here willing and able to politely and respectfully help.

None of the above is particularly complicated and would be applicable no matter how powerful or not the computer is.

He says he wants to 'go mainstream'. To me that means he has high expectations. But no experience with computers ('newbie'). I guess we could all gather our collective wisdom, and experience, and provide him with what he needs to be able to succeed with FSX. After all is said and done all we can REALLY give him is advice. And hope? How about overclocking that i3 to jam like a i7? Maybe shoot for 4.5 Ghz to start? Etc, etc, etc. (NUTS!).

Chuck B

Napamule

@ Chuck......

You will be getting no apology from me - indeed it is you that should be apologising to the OP. The initial comments you made offered no encouragement or, to use your own word FACTS, that were of any use to the OP and are just as likely to turn the OP away from using the forums and possibly resuming simming altogether.

Yes I've got the picture - and in my view nothing has changed with regards to the comments I made and your general attitude towards others. WRT what you consider to by my 'HANG UP' and 'putting you down' - I think its a bit rich of you to say that when clearly looking at your 'history' of comments, some of which I have commented on in the past, you regularly put others down and yet, it seems, don't like it when someone calls you out over it.

In fact, all of your comments just reinforces the fact, IMO, that YOU are lost in a fantasy world where nothing has progressed and that the only opinion that matters is one based on your own belief that everything you say is gospel, must be adhered to and that all other comments from others are wrong or irrelevant.

WRT your comments about the OP being a 'newbie'. He/she maybe but the fact that he/she has clearly stated a previous experience of using FSX in the past would suggest that he/she may not be such a 'newbie' as you assume, both in respect of the sim world and knowledge of PCs.

EDIT.....WRT your comments about me 'pretending' that he has a dedicated GPU - this shows your lack of knowledge WRT to modern laptops. I have two laptops that I run FSX on and both have Intel based 'integrated' GPUs and 'dedicated' GPUs - one with an ATI based board and the other with a NVDIA board. Laptops with such configurations have been around for years and are very common these days.....EDIT ENDS

As loki has commented on, many of the things that you have pointed out in your subsequent posts will have some relevance but many of them are personal choice and not necessary to run FSX.

YOU could have, of course, highlighted these issues in your first post instead of making such comments as 'get real' and 'FSX wont happen' - because clearly you have shot yourself in the foot with those comments considering that, when criticised, you end up offering more info on how you can make FSX work despite saying it won't.

EDIT.....I will, however, offer an apology to the OP WRT the tone that the thread has taken.....EDIT ENDS

Regards

Brian

Naw. You are messed up. I was just baiting you to see how 'gruff' you would get. Typical.

Chuck B

Napamule

A little empirical evidence:

I have a seven-year-old Toshiba laptop with integrated graphics. For many years I successfully ran the Gold Edition Of FSX and, later, FSX:SE. Intel Core Two Duo, 2.13 GHz, 4 Gigs of RAM.

No, the pictures weren't like my newer i7 desktop with an NVIDIA card, but I could get around 30fps with my A2A Mustang, so I was happy. I gave up the pursuit of prettier pictures a long time ago. For me, it's all about the FLIGHT experience. Others differ.

Interesting exchange, guys. Carry on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ianhr,

And I guess you are going to tell us that you have a 5400 rpm HDrive (which I bet the OP got stuck with).

Chuck B

Napamule

I haven't Flown last since 2007,

Right when FSX Deluxe edition came out, and it was a $70 game.

I recently bought a new laptop with the following specs.

2.4 Ghz Core i3 7th Gen Processor

6 GB RAM

1TB HDD Space

Windows 10 Operating System

Looking to get back in the air for the first time in 10 years. need advice

Well, with that system, unless it has a dedicated graphics card you're not telling us about, then the experience will be marginal.

You could however, actually provide fuller and further details of the hardware you plan to run FSX with. Joystick, yoke, throttles, rudder pedals etc etc.

If you don't at least have those, and they are USB ported, and you have many spare USB ports, then you have little chance of `mainstream` operation without considerable further investment, before you even get to the addons for the product to help you achieve your mainstream dream.

Naw. You are messed up. I was just baiting you to see how 'gruff' you would get. Typical.............

Even if you were 'baiting' as you claim (and if so, it is something that you seem to do a lot of), or your comment is meant to be a 'half-hearted' attempt at an apology, it still says a lot about you and, therefore, how others perceive you.

Simply providing an answer that is rude in tone and contains no 'useful' information whatsoever is disrespectful, especially more so if used, as you have admitted, in the context of 'baiting' (AKA trolling), not only to the OP but to other members, be they 'old' hands or other 'newbies' that may read the thread, be it in the present or in the future.

Regards

Brian

Longbreak. If just have him the bad news on his laptop. Nothing wrong with or rude about that. Your personal attack however...

With all due respects it is not a personal attack on Chuck. I would say the same if any other person had posted the same thing. If you think that such comments arenot rude, then that is your opinion to which you are entitled to.

As I have stated, such comments are more likely to discourage than encourage someone. Consider the subsequent comments were HE admits that he was 'baiting' - that is simply another word for 'trolling' - and, if you look at his past 'history' of posting, it is a common theme, The fact that HE does so is, IMO and as previously stated, disrespectful to other forum users.

Regards

Brian

Archived