Experiencing crash with Thunder Bay UT Scenery...

Guest brownbee89

Guest brownbee89

With an FS2004 setup that includes Ultimate Terrain USA and Canada/Alaska installed and upon installing and activating Flight Ontario's Thunder Bay UT scenery (designed to be compatible with Flight1's Ultimate Terrain), when I try to load a flight at CYQT (thunder bay airport) or at one of the float plane bases at thunder bay, I experience a CTD at around 47% load. I have been told there is a conflict between the thunder bay scenery and the ultimate terrain usa scenery and that a *.bgl will have to be deactivated in the UT USA for the thunder bay scenery to be fully functional...does anyone here know about the *.bgl file in question and/or has anyone here experienced a similar issue and if so would you be willing to share how you resolved it?? I know it is a scenery conflict issue, i.e. a bgl incompatibility with the ultimate terrain scenery because the thunder bay scenery works fine on an older setup which has no ultimate terrain sceneries installed. I am also unwilling to de-activate the ultimate terrain scenery to enjoy the thunder bay scenery as I'd lose my sim flying experience in rest of Canada/US and none of my other sceneries have any incompatibility with Ultimate terrain...just this one.

In any case, I'd greatly appreciate any assistance rendered...thanks!

Guest brownbee89
Have you tried giving your new scenery a higher priority level in your FS9 scenery library or even experimenting with those priorities ?

Hans

much appreciate your response; already tried that by following the scenery priority illustrated for one of Flight Ontario's other releases and which incorporates the scenery priorities for Thunder Bay Scenery, Ontario Landclass, UT USA, UT Canada/Alaska...In any case, I was lead to believe that a scenery priority out-of-order ought not to cause a crash; instead merely distorting the terrain generated where perhaps rivers/coastlines/buildings are out of place as opposed to a CTD or??

I have had Thunder Bay installed for several years, within a year of it being posted, at a higher library level than UT Alaska Canada and UT USA. I have no recollection of ever removing a UT bgl file and I have never had a problem; I suspect a texture file conflict, not a bgl. Have you looked at what new airport scenery you have installed on the new setup compared to the older one, other than UT? Then check the textures are all DXT3 or DXT1 and there isn't an oddball 32 bit texture? Or one that isn't mipped when all the others are? Could be in a scenery up to thirty miles away, only just on the far horizon.

Guest brownbee89
Thank you for the response. I don't have any airports in the thunder bay area other than the one already included in FlightOntario's thunder bay scenery. When I de-activate the scenery in the library and load a flight at CYQT(thunder bay scenery) or anywhere for that matter everything runs fine as it should; I checked and the sim also runs fine when I load (with thunder Bay scenery activated) at one of the smaller included airstrips (CNE6) in the thunder bay area...so really not too sure what's going on at CYQT and at the two float planes bases in thunder bay (where the sim crashes when trying to load a flight). I will check with the AI slider to zero and get back...thanks so much again; appreciate it!

Guest brownbee89
Sorry, it appears not to work, still getting a CTD - I set the AI slider to 0 and removed the AI planes for the thunder bay scenery but no change, still a CTD...and I am unable to find any airports in the area that would be a cause for concern...not sure what to do next...

Is the problem only when you load a flight? If you can create a flight at one of those airports and all is well, if you can fly through the area without problems, if you can fly in and land at one of those airports, I doubt the airports are the problem and would suspect an issue with the saved flights you are trying to load.

Guest brownbee89
er my mistake...that's what I meant...I am unable to create a flight at the thunder bay airport CYQT or at any of the floatplane bases...I messaged flight ontario and they plan to get back to me with a solution when they are able to...in any case thanks!

One last thought, are you always using the same plane when you try to create a flight? Planes have textures too...... And one other thing, what happens when you fly through the area, starting at some other airport? I don't think you mentioned anything about that.

I checked my Thunder Bay textures. They are mostly a mix of DXT1 and 8 bit, which is not a problem. But, while I did not check all of them some are definitely 16 bit textures, for instance "ant33", which is the 6th one in the folder. I cannot swear that this is the problem and everyone's system is not identical, but making scenery has demonstrated to me that mixes are potentially problematic. Years ago it took me days to discover that one airfield with unmipped textures was clashing with another ten miles away that had mipped textures, while mipped and unmipped had never previously been a problem for me.

Guest brownbee89
thanks for the input; in any case flight ontario got back to me and queried about the number of texture files in my installation and as it turns out, it was one less than required - the installer only installed all the files when run as administrator...in short, it was a case of a missing texture file...

But you were right about it being a texture issue.

(It doesn't help that FS9 isn't consistent with its reaction to missing textures, sometimes it just displays an untextured object, other tiems it CTDs.)

Archived