FSX:SE My Logbook.BIN is corrupt and I'm sort of at a loss

Austinboi

Okay, so I just figured out about the logbook thing about 2 hours ago. I had noticed FSX didn't want to start up so I ended up reinstalling it. Before doing so, I had removed all the files/folders under the steamapps files, and didn't touch the FSX Documents folder. And after about 2 hours of download waiting, It had finally installed. I tried starting it up again, and it didn't work. After attempting to do so about 4 or 5 times, I took it over to Google, which is how I found out about the logbook thing. So, I downloaded FSXlog, which stated that it didn't seem to find anything wrong with the file, which was wrong because it still doesn't work when I start up FSX. I then tried the email they provided at the bottom of the "nothing wrong" notification, or whatever you want to call it. I'm still not sure whether the email is even used anymore, but I didn't have a choice. So I try to upload my Logbook.BIN, but Gmail wouldn't upload it because "The file is under 0 bytes". I then tried to compress a copy of the file, but Gmail won't accept some of the files that are in the rar, so I'm just so confused at what to do atm. Any help is very appreciated.

Btw, sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this, I'm new to the forums >~

Rename that logbook.bin file to logbook_old.bin. Now restart FSX and it will rebuild a new logbook.bin file and everything should work. Worry about fixing the original one.....later! Go fly!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

There is a file in the library, a program you can repair the old log file with. Name could be logfix.zip or logbookrepair.zip but not sure. Click at top of page on advanced search if that's not it.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a file in the library, a program you can repair the old log file with.

It's fsxlog11.zip.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fsec=0&fname=fsxlog11.zip

A good advice: don't use the built-in FSX logbook editor for editing.

Strangely enough it's the most common cause for logbook corruption.

Other (and safer) utilities are available here in the library.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Thank you guys for the help. Unfortunately renaming the logbook doesn't work, and it does the same thing. Also fsxlog11 was something I already used stated in my first post. Is it safe to delete all FSX files and just redownload and start over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You made a wrong diagnosis yourself from the start, and posted it as the thread title. No wonder the suggested solutions didn't work.

I'm not a Steam user (well, not for FSX I mean), but you could try to "Verify Integrity of Game Files". https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Posting a proper Crash Report from the Event Log would be helpful as well.

Wim

Another common cause for the issue is corrupted save files associated with the last flight - these are located in the same folders as the logbook.bin file.

There are 3 files associated with a saved flight with the following file extensions

.WX, .FFSAVE and .FLT

I would suggest deleting the files named Previous Flight and/or, if you have saved a flight with another name prior to the problem starting, also delete the files associated with that flight. This will cause the sim to load with the standard default flight (i.e. the ultralight at Friday harbour).

Regards

Brian

restoring the default flight (ultralight friday harbor) may be a good ifdea.

The way to do this, is different.

First close fsx.

Open folder

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

If you don't see a folder named AppData,

in a Windows Explorer Window, click:

[Organise]

and then

Search and Folder Options

Then click the 'Display' tab.

in the list, put

a check mark in:

*Show hidden files, folders and drives

and remove a check mark from:

*Hide extensions of known file types.

-

Then you will find the AppData folder and:

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

In that folder find file FSX.cfg

and open it.

Find the line:

Situation=

Change the line to:

situation=

close and save the file,

then start FSX.

Now your default flight is back to "utralight over Friday harbour".

(And maybe now fsx will start)

>Renaming saved flights is not the best idea.

-------------

When I gave my first answer, I hadn't really read your question. I just responded to add a little to what MrZippy had said.

I read it now, and it is not very clear to me.

What exactly happens when you try to start fsx?

Any messages on the screen? And what exactly do they say?

Also add the error log Wim asked for.

You can find in one of the "Sticky" posts how to find that. The one titled:

Sticky: Help us help you - FSX problems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ il88pp.....

Whilst your method will indeed force a reload of the default flight, if the cause of the problem is a corrupted file linked to the previous flight then it may still fail to allow FSX to start. By deleting the files it forces FSX to write new ones based on the parameters defined for the default FSX flight. An indication of a problem is sometimes given by an error message similar to 'Unable to load saved flight. Attempting to load default flight'

As with a number other required FSX files (such as the FSX.cfg and Scenery..cfg files) these files are created the first time you run FSX after installing when it loads the default flight. If these files are missing, FSX 'assumes' that it is an initial install and creates new ones.

For the benefit of the OP - the Situation= line points to the last flight made by the user and will give an indication of the file name used when the flight was saved - be it a manual save by the user or a 'forced' save when an error occurs or the sim is closed without saving the flight.

For example, it may state something like C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Previous Flight - this means that it is pointing to a file called Previous Flight.FSSAVE, which in turn is 'linked' to the main FSX.exe file (hence its blue FSX style icon picture) and thus what FSX attempts to load on startup. If the .exe file is able to read this file it then looks at the .WX file and .FLT files to load the relevant data.

If you have chosen to save a flight with specific settings of your choosing (for example cold and dark cockpit or so you start at a specific airport) then the Situation= line will state something like............\Flight Simulator X Files\Filename

Regards

Brian

No renaming flights is not needed at all.

When you change to:

situation=

in the fsx.cfg file

you get a new startup situation.

and that's all that's needed.

You then set up a new flight, and fly it. done.

(If FSX is set to not show the opening menu's then you are flying Friday Harbor straight away. But still, FSX starts again.)

All he needs is to get FSX starting again, remember?

If you later find that, when using: "Load Flight", and select one, and you then get an error in starting the flight. Then it is time to look at perhaps deliting it. But better, to see where the cause is, because that can be fixed too most of the time. (The cuase there is usually that the aircraft in the saved flight, is not on the system any more, or has been renamed by you.)

Anyway, that's a whole different problem.

If fsx is not starting because of a corrupt default flight, then

changing to

situation=

will fix it right away every time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, so testing the integrity in Steam said everything seemed fine, but the game still won't start. There is no crash report because the game never crashes. It just sits there and doesn't to anything besides show the splash screen. I usually just have to go to task manager & end the task. Then I took a look at situation= in the fsx.cfg, but it didn't do anything. Also, not sure if its all that relevant, but when I start it up, an error message showing "SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory (Addon Scenery\New FSX Library Objects\SCENERY) in scenery Area.122 not found. Click OK to continue". I didn't add this because I usually get similar messages and it works fine. Also after looking at the scenery.cfg, I noticed that there was no area.122. So yeah, idk if that particular segment is necessary, but maybe it is.

Ok, so fsx does start.

THe error means a scener area (an addon scenery you had once installed)

is not installed any more.

But that fsx, when loading, is stilltryuing to load this missing area, and can't find it.

(the area is listed in the "scenery library" list in fsx/settings,

but the folder and files for that area are not there.)

Not strange, because you reinstalled fsx, so all your old addon scenery is now gone.

The reason fsx is still looking for the area, is the "Scenery Library"

You can't access that menu without fsx starting.

But..

ou can get around it.

The "Scenery Library" list is listed in a file called: scenery.cfg

What you want to do is replace the file with a fresh copy. One that lists no extra area's.

The way to do this is:

Close FSX (important),

open folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

and rename file:

scenery.cfg

to

scenery-old.cfg

When next starting fsx, it will create a fresh file called: scenery.cfg

and fsx should start normally.

(Btw, I said to change the line to situation=

I did not say to just look at it.

It's not clear from your answer what you did, but it doesn't matter any more. It seems that wasn't the issue.

As you explained fsx does start.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Renaming the scenery.cfg to scenery-old.cfg didn't work. It just still does the same thing as before. Also, just to see, I tried renaming the other scenery.cfg in the main FSX folder, and tried starting it up. This time it just showed that the scenery.cfg is lost or damaged, and that I should reinstall to repair it. I just ended up renaming it back, and it still does the same thing.

Make sure that in:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery

there is a folder called

..\scenery

If it is not there, create it. Simply an empty folder.

--

Also look in:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery

and see if there is a folder called

..\texture

If it is not there, create it. Simply an empty folder.

---

Then start fsx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They we're both there. Ran it, and nothing happened. And yes, I renamed the file in both %appdata% and under Program Files, but renamed the program files one back to scenery.cfg because it told me to reinstall after doing so.

Do not rename the scenery.cfg file that is in:

C:\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

leave that file alone. I never said anything about that one.

-----------------------------------------

The file I told you to rename was:

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

when you do that, fsx will create a new one on restart.

The area 122 in that new one is pointing to:

..\Addon Scenery\scenery

and

..\Addon Scenery\texture

So as long as those folders are there, and you renamed the correct scenery.cfg file, it should start up without error messages.

----

A lot has been said already. Be specific when you respond.

Do not just say: "I did what was said"

but explain what you did in your own words each time.

And be specific about the folder names. It matters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ austinboi......

First thing to note is WRT your comments in post #12 about the scenery issues you have experienced. These errors CAN cause problems but you will only experience them when 'flying' to an area and/or airport that is covered by the problem area. This can manifest it self in a number of ways. For example, the airport buildings might not show or be incomplete or, in a worse case scenario, it will cause the sim to crash.

When you click OK to the error message all that you are telling FSX to do is to continue loading other areas and to ignore the problem area - the end effect is that FSX doesn't load it and, if you keep away from the specific area or, in the case of your specific Area.122 problem, away from any airport scenery that uses any of the objects you won't experience any issues.

As the problem area, based on your folder name, is an scenery object library, please check/confirm that:

A. The folder still exists and.....

B. That scenery based files (those with a .bgl extension but sometimes you will also see some with .txt extensions) are placed in the Scenery subfolder and texture files (.bmp, .dds etc) are placed in the Texture folder

If any of these files are placed into the wrong folder or are placed within the root folder of the library main folder then issues will occur. It is OK to have non-scenery related files (such as readme files in .txt, .doc, .pdf format) to be located in the subfolders and/or main root folder as they shouldn't cause an issue but you could move them to a safe location for future reference if you so wish.

Once you have confirmed that all the files are in their proper location, start FSX and once it is loaded go to the Scenery settings page and locate the entry for the object library. Untick the box next to the entry and then click OK. Let FSX rebuild the scenery list. Select the object library again and remove the area, click OK and let FSX rebuild the list and then close FSX.

Optional - Reboot the PC. Some will say this is not necessary whilst others will say that you should do so - the choice is yours. When it comes to FSX, my preference is to always reboot after adding or deleting payware stuff, as such products tend to have entries in the Windows Registry - rebooting allows the registry entries to be updated

Restart FSX - You should get no error message for Area.122. Go to the Scenery settings page and try activating the scenery again. Let FSX rebuild the list and exit FSX. Restart FSX and see if you get an error for the library again - NOTE if may not be re-assigned as Area.122 so yo need to pay careful attention to the full name in the error message to see if it refers to the object library.

If the object library errors out again, and you are sure that all of the files are in the correct sub folder, then it is likely that there is a problem with one or more files in the library itself.

Regards

Brian

First thing to note is WRT your comments in post #12 about the scenery issues you have experienced. These errors CAN cause problems but you will only experience them when 'flying' to an area and/or airport that is covered by the problem area. This can manifest it self in a number of ways. For example, the airport buildings might not show or be incomplete or, in a worse case scenario, it will cause the sim to crash.

I have had that error message numerous times. Always caused by user error (yes, by me...).

For example ditching a downloaded scenery I didn't like after testing, and forgetting to remove it in the scenery library first.

But that error NEVER prevented me from going to the FSX start screen, as is the case with the OP.

Once you have confirmed that all the files are in their proper location, start FSX and once it is loaded go to the Scenery settings page and...
Good advice, if only the OP would be able to start FSX.

Which he still isn't, unless I missed something very important in this (rather confusing) thread ?

Wim

@ austinboi.....

Lets concentrate on one issue at a time.....

If your FSX is still not starting try the following.....

Go to C:\Users\\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and rename the FSX.cfg file to FSX_Old.cfg.

Start FSX and see what happens. Make a note on ANY error messages that are displayed - write them down fully irrespective of how long they are - before clicking on the OK or Continue button. Report back on what has happened with as much details as possible - for example; did the sim load fully and presented you with the Home or Free Flight screen or does it hang/shutdown with a particular error message.

@ F16jockey_2.....

Hi Wim,

Although I stated that I was replying to the OPs comments at post #12, perhaps I should have made it more clearer in my post (that you have quoted from) that my comments specifically addressed the scenery error message and that it was not a fix for the starting issue.

Regards

Brian

Thank you everyone for helping

I ended up just deleting every file related to FSX and reinstalling, which fixed the issue. I apologize for not being very clear in my past posts. Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived