Contemplating a new PC build.

I am ready to start building a new PC for my P3Dv4 and FSX-SE.

Here's what I'm looking at, so far:

CPU - Intel I7-7700K with Corsair Water Cooler H55

MoBo - Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7

Mem - 16GB (2x8) G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3000

Video card - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 8GB

or

- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 8GB 11GBps

or

- Gogabyte GTX 1080 Extreme, Water Cooled

Drives - 32gb Optane + 3TB HD (any performance brand).

Power - Corsair CX750M 750W

I'm still debating video card option, the three listed are all similar in performance and price.

Or should I go all out and get the 1080ti. Is it worth the $100 plus extra cost?

Any suggestions, critiques or suggestions welcome.

I'm not planning any huge overclocking, but will play around with some moderate ones.

Pete S.

• 4 weeks later...

@Pete,

Sometimes posts like yous can get numerous replies where some will tell you what to get and what not to get, what they have etc.

I had a PC that I was running FS9 plus a few other sims, it ran not too bad but I like you decided to build another better one mainly for FSX.

I'm on an old age pension, so I was limited to what to buy, my grandson who has built a few PC's helped me to choose the parts with my limited budget.

It took me a few months to get everything needed, and he came round and built it for me, so far it has been very good, it runs FSX without a problem.

So going off what you posted, that PC when built will be great, you will see from time to time someone posts screenshots or does a YouTube video of their FSX/P3D and how well it runs, they post what settings they have.

You try it and it might not look very good, but as you may well know, no two PC's are the same, what works on one may not work on another.

I will admit, I've seen things and thought, I must try that only to find it mucked things up or I found no difference, so course you know what I'm going to say, back up before you try.

To make use of all of the 8gb Ram you will need a 64bit Operating System. (Windows Version).

How much Ram is actually usable depends on what OS you use.

And not only on what OS, but also which version of that OS. Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, or Pro.

Here are the numbers for Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-memory-on-windows-7-b

For the more recent versions of Windows. (Win8, Win10) these limits are much higher.

(Higher the the Win 7 limits for the 64bit versions only. For these OS versions the 32bit versions stay limited to 4gb.)

The WIn10-64 limits are very high. wIN8 also. so for those OS's it doesn't matter that much. Just make sure to get a -64bit version.

If you are planning on using Win7, and also planning to use more then 16gb in the future, then you will do good to get Win7-Pro. No home premium.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Pete

I am running a very similar PC and am very happy. I was/am intimidated by liquid cooled so I had it built by Jetline Systems.

Here are the specs:

Gravity GT2

Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)

Chassis: Cooler Master Storm Scout II

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z270x Gaming 5, LGA 1151

Processor:Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K (4.8GHz Overclock) Quad Core

CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling

System Memory: 16GB Kingston DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz

Graphics Processor: 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, PCI Express 3.0

System Power: 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply

Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio

Primary SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 850 (SSD)

Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB WD Black 7200 RPM

Optical Drive: 20x DVD/CD Burner Drive

Media Drive: None Selected

Networking: Integrated High Speed Network Ready (10/100/1000)

I am running FSX boxed with the following software:

A2A P-51D MIL / CIV, T-6 and C-172

FSUIPC

LINDA

SPAD.neXt

Air Manager

Active Sky 2016

REX WX Advantage Radar

Rex4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds

ORBX FTX Central V3

ORBX FTX Global Base

ORBX FTX Global openLC Arctic Alaska and Canada

ORBX FTX Global openLC North America

ORBX FTX Global Vector

FTX NA KCGX Meigs Field

FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation

Airport Enhancer HDX

MegaSceneryEarth

Florida

Florida Airports Aligned

Hawaii

Jacksonville

Orlando

Tampa

You can see my setup in the Cockpit builders section under P-51D cockpit build. Photobucket killed my previous pics so go to the last page for the latest.

Good luck!

Ed

Archived