analog cockpits vs. digital cockpits

Not much of a glass cockpit guy here. I was trained and licensed using aircraft that have traditional instruments. Love the analogue gauges, the basic T layout and the scan pattern you develop and seeing everything is on the green arcs.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Although I have a mixed bag of each, I much prefer the steam gauges over the digital displays.

When was steam ever used in an aircraft instrument? :cool: :pilot:

Analogue (usually mechanical, too) instruments tend (over time) to not be quite as reliable as the digital ones (real world, obviously), but they are often easier to interpret and don't take as much specialized training to use them properly as the digital ones do. Of course the digital versions sometimes (usually?) provide more info (too much??), but lose the multiple power source "backup feature."

Of course in the sim, it's (for me, at least) dependent on the specific aircraft, but given that I mostly stick with older (preferably tail wheel) aircraft...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

When was steam ever used in an aircraft instrument? :cool: :pilot:

Sorry, Larry....just showing my age. I still remember cars that came with curb-feelers!:eek::cool:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

That's OK -- I've never been very fond of that term, but it's very commonly used in real world, as well as sim aviation. Still, I occasionally take a moment to point out the incongruity.

As to age, I suspect you're not any older than me. Yep, I recall those curb feelers, too, along with metal sun visors over the windshield, fender skirts, chopped and channeled, flathead V-8s, radio shows, TV that started at 5 PM and shut down at 11 PM, and much more.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

That's OK -- I've never been very fond of that term, but it's very commonly used in real world, as well as sim aviation. Still, I occasionally take a moment to point out the incongruity.

As to age, I suspect you're not any older than me. Yep, I recall those curb feelers, too, along with metal sun visors over the windshield, fender skirts, chopped and channeled, flathead V-8s, radio shows, TV that started at 5 PM and shut down at 11 PM, and much more.

sorry folks I don't usually poke my nose into convos, but now that you brought it up, anyone remembers this too (this mirror/searchlight is on a 1960 Impala):

ba73491d5707c253530c4c3df58fc1e9.jpg

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, along with the adjustable driver-side and passenger-side spot lights and strapping on the desert waterbag to the bumper for long trips......the "good ol' days".:)

And now a word from our sponsors....."Oh, crap! We're off the air!"

RCA_Indian_Head_test_pattern.JPG

I don't have a choice, whatever is in the flightsim aircraft is fine and great with me ..as I just like to get the plane in the air....and I am 76 yrs old...and of course I remember the curb feelers and if I didn't have stuff...my daddy did...I do know there are older guys than me...but I am old enough to now forget some of that stuff pictured on the internet...LOLLL

Sorry, Larry....just showing my age. I still remember cars that came with curb-feelers!:eek::cool:

Wow... I thought about curb feelers for years. Things just seem to go hide in your brain until something reminds you of it!! :)

Wow... I thought about curb feelers for years. Things just seem to go hide in your brain until something reminds you of it!! :)

Did you ever walk through the automotive section at Sears Roebuck and see the naked lady steering wheel spinners? Couldn't convince my dad to buy one for some reason??;)

Sorry, maybe it was Pep Boys!

Archived