ILS landing problem-plane keeps going on

thenikos

hi, im new to the sport of flying with fsx and no experience at all in real flying. all my ... training is from the youtube videos.

some days now i try to make with the 737 plane an approach and landing. i think im doing everything right but all the time the plane, when arrives over the airport, it doesnt automatically go down.

my flight style is this: i start from an airport with flight plan, using a waypoint a little before i reach the destination airport, so the plane will level and go straight on the ils direction (green lines on the map). till there i go with gps.

after the plane levels with the ils direction, i come down to around 2000m (6500ft) and i pass from gps to nav mode. everything is working fine. you see the plane turn on the right ils heading (i put it on the course section as i have seen) and around 10 miles before, i press the app button to make it land.

as i can see in the youtube videos, under 10 miles away, the alt light goes off automatically, the plane starts descending, till the last moment when we take off the autopilot and we make the landing manualy.

any ideas what i might do wrong?

thank you

Glideslope goes up from airport, about 300ft per NM. So at 10 Nm it's at around 3000 ft. You have to be below it when pressing App.

Often you can even catch it at 15NM.

Height in ft is of course height above the ground. (above the airport)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi, im new to the sport of flying with fsx and no experience at all in real flying. all my ... training is from the youtube videos.

some days now i try to make with the 737 plane an approach and landing. i think im doing everything right but all the time the plane, when arrives over the airport, it doesnt automatically go down.

my flight style is this: i start from an airport with flight plan, using a waypoint a little before i reach the destination airport, so the plane will level and go straight on the ils direction (green lines on the map). till there i go with gps.

after the plane levels with the ils direction, i come down to around 2000m (6500ft) and i pass from gps to nav mode. everything is working fine. you see the plane turn on the right ils heading (i put it on the course section as i have seen) and around 10 miles before, i press the app button to make it land.

as i can see in the youtube videos, under 10 miles away, the alt light goes off automatically, the plane starts descending, till the last moment when we take off the autopilot and we make the landing manualy.

any ideas what i might do wrong?

thank you

Are you guessing at these numbers? I have learned that one of the most important things to learn is the reading of a flight chart. I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong, but the average glide slope is 3 to 5 miles.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

At 3 NM the glideslope is 3x300=900 ft above the ground. (Or actually, above the airport elevation really.)

That's about 300meters above ground. A bit late to catch the glideslope. (in a 737).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now repeat it 100 times at the same airport until you develop a routine and feel confident that what you are doing is correct and the result is a 'perfect landing' everytime. I never counted how many times I did an ILS landing. But it could of been more than 100 times in the past 10 years. Easy. By the way, you (me too) learn something new everyday.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Most ILS are at a GS (glideslope) angle of 3.00 degrees .

For GS 3 degrees the height above runway elevation for various distances to run are ,

1 nm = 318' , 2 nm = 636' , 3 nm = 954' , 4 nm = 1271' , 5 nm = 1589' , 6 nm =1907' ,

7 nm = 2225' , 8 nm = 2543' .

While most ILS use a 3.00 degree glideslope angle , or very close to 3 degrees , however there are exceptions , one example is London City airport ( EGLC ) UK , the glideslope at EGLC is 5.50 degrees .

The attached shot shows an autopilot coupled ILS approach to London City , the ILS is centered in the Right MFD ,

The Left MFD is showing a "Synthetic ILS" also centered , the synthetic ILS GS has been set at 5.5 degrees .

You can see that with 4 nm to run the height above the runway elevation (S-HT) is 2368' , whereas if a 3 degree GS was used that height would be 1271' .

This Synthetic ILS instrument has a settable Intercept distance , in this case the intercept of the ILS approach path was set at 7 nm displaying a height above runway of 4070' for the intercept position , again if a 3 degree GS was used it would be 2225' .

Note , due to steep GS approach angle the airbrake has been deployed to keep approach speeds in check .

Have repeated an enlarged Left MFD to make detail more readable .

Cheers

Karol

London_City.jpg

Archived