Newly Discovered Photo Show Amelia Earhart?

CRJ_simpilot

It has been 80 years since Amelia Earhart vanished while trying to become the first female pilot to fly around the world, and her 1937 disappearance has become one of the great mysteries of our time.

History

Did Amelia Earhart Survive Plane Crash? Newly Discovered Photo Offers Clues

Now the makers of a new investigative special from the History Channel believe they have "the smoking gun" that answers the question of Earhart's disappearance aboard her Lockheed Electra once and for all: an old, cracked photograph found in the National Archives, showing a group of people on a dock in the Marshall Islands. Among the figures: two people who just might be Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/06/535861448/does-a-newly-discovered-photo-show-amelia-earhart-survived-a-crash-landing

Clearly, none of you watched Star Trek Voyager. They were among a group people spirited away to another planet by aliens!

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Every few years another such theory surfaces. I like the one where she was on a clandestine mission for the US government, photographing Japanese bases, and was shot down and captured.

But Occam's Razor applies. The most probable explanation is simply a major malfunction of the aircraft, so sudden and/or so violent they had no time to use the radio. By today's standards even the best aircraft of that era were not paragons of reliability.

This just gets better. Forensic sniffer dogs have found the spot where Amelia Earhart died:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/amelia-earhart-castaway-sniffer-dogs-10773111

The original FOX NEWS piece from 2 days ago is now missing as well... Coincidence, or CONSPIRACY!!! We have the right to know!!! :p

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Right! I had completely forgotten about this. It's cucumber time, a.k.a. the silly season :rolleyes:

Apparently there's an Amelia Earhart two-hour special coming up on CNN, I suspect it's all a publicity stunt for that. I hope it all does lead to the remains being found, the lady deserves a decent burial on her home soil.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Apparently there's an Amelia Earhart two-hour special coming up on CNN, I suspect it's all a publicity stunt for that. I hope it all does lead to the remains being found, the lady deserves a decent burial on her home soil.

True, but according to National Geographic the chances of extracting DNA from that kind of tropical environment are rare,

I doubt there will ever be conclusive evidence that she died on Nikumaroro, but who knows?

Many of these hard-to-believe claims come from individuals and groups seeking financial backing for new search expeditions. Amelia is a great, politically-correct historical figure, even though Gore Vidal, who knew her well, stated more than once, "She just wasn't a very good pilot." Others who knew her shared that opinion, like photographer Andrea Fisher who said, "One thing is that I don't think she was a very good pilot and if I was as bad as her, I never would have started off around the world."

Gillespie believes Earhart died as a castaway on the island of Nikumaroro, Kiribati, where a partial skeleton was discovered in 1940.

Do they still have the skeleton? Do they know if it's a female or not? And what about the navigator?

• 3 weeks later...
Do they still have the skeleton? Do they know if it's a female or not? And what about the navigator?

If my memory serves me correct, those skeletal remains got lost during the WW2. I believe it was originally classified as a male, but based on some surviving measurements and info, another expert later thought it could have been female. As it is no longer available for study, we'll most likely never know if it had anything to do with Earhart or Noonan.

Archived