Rookie questions about fs95 for win. 10

Angels103959

I will make this as short as possible. I've had flight sims a long time ago on a desktop, both win.95 and pro pilot so I guess I'm not totally new but I went to a garage sale and bought fs2000 and 2 saitek joysticks, brought them home and worked for hours and still couldn't get anything to work. All I wanted was to just get to fly again. So then, I thought I might be able to get a copy of fs95 for free. Couldn't get that to work either. Is my goose cooked?

• Founder

I think the problem is that your computer is running Windows 10, the latest version, but you're trying to use software that's 20 years old. Quite often stuff that old just won't work on a new computer.

Why don't you just get FSX, the most current version of Microsoft Flight Simulator? It won't be free, but it can be found very cheap these days. Even at full price I don't think you'll pay more than $20 and it can be found at times for under $10.

+1 on Nels comments regarding going for FSX. However, the price quoted is very low unless you look at the Steam version - known as FSX-SE. Boxed versions of FSX are relatively hard to find and are often at very inflated prices..........

EDIT - FSX-SE is the latest version of FSX and is effectively the 'Gold Edition' boxed version with a few tweaks added that, if you got hold of a boxed version, you would have to add so that it runs OK. Also worth noting is that, although the game is 'brought' via Steam, there is no requirement to be online to 'play' it - you can change the seetings within the Steam Client so that you can start the game in offline mode without an active internet connection - EDIT ENDS

WRT to your problem - If you want to try and get the sims that you have running you will need to do some checking on what essential libraries and files they need and try to find the most current versions of them available.

For example, Win 10 does not ship with any DirectX (DX) versions below DX10. FSX and FS2004 require DX 9 and FS2000, if my memory is correct, used a minimum of DX 7. As with all older games, any DX version files that are normally included on the installation disks are woefully out of date and incompatible with later versions of Windows and finding compatible W10 versions of older DX may be hard as MS now only officially supports DX 9 and above.

DX is just one of libraries that may be required. Others libraries that may need earlier versions of them installed include .NET and Visual C++ Runtime.

Regards

Brian

Both FS2004 (FS9) & FSX work perfectly with Windows 10! Nothing else needed at all.

Just install into C:\Flightsims (or any other name) instead of C:

Program Files (X86). For FS9, use the nocd patch & run as ADMIN.

All will work perfectly! Additional DX libraries not needed.

Keep Windows 10 updated.

I have 3x versions of FS2004 working perfectly!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I will make this as short as possible. I've had flight sims a long time ago on a desktop, both win.95 and pro pilot so I guess I'm not totally new but I went to a garage sale and bought fs2000 and 2 saitek joysticks, brought them home and worked for hours and still couldn't get anything to work. All I wanted was to just get to fly again. So then, I thought I might be able to get a copy of fs95 for free. Couldn't get that to work either. Is my goose cooked?

Hi Dave,

As mentioned, the sims you're attempting to run are quite elderly and as such, aren't going to play too nice with a modern OS.

However, in saying that, there is a glimmer of hope :-)

You can attempt to run the simulators in question by way of a virtual machine!

As you're on a PC, I would recommend VirtualBox by Oracle (freeware):

https://www.virtualbox.org

It's a great program to use, especially if you need to run software which is incompatible with your current OS (age, platform etc).

All you need is the desired operating system, in this case, Windows XP and earlier.

One thing to remember Dave; a virtual machine will always run a lot slower than normal (especially in regards to graphics), so expect a fair degree of performance loss.

Let us know how you get on :-)

Regards

Dominic

• Founder
hi everybody ,

i used to fly on fs2004 for years ,now im living in the Philippines and would like to restart with my passion ,how or where can i buy the latest version from fs2004 ,thanks in advance

The latest version is FSX: Steam Edition:

https://www.fspilotshop.com/fsx-microsoft-flight-simulator-steam-edition-fsxse-p-5893.html

• 2 weeks later...
hi everybody ,

i used to fly on fs2004 for years ,now im living in the Philippines and would like to restart with my passion ,how or where can i buy the latest version from fs2004 ,thanks in advance

There is no latest version of FS2004.

Maybe a google search as to where to buy it, as well as a search for the 9.1 update.

It's still the good old FS2004, that just works.

It works very well in Windows 10, if installed in the root C:\ drive & not where MS wants to install it, patch it with the 9.1 patch (nocd), Turn UAC down & run as Admin.

It will run perfectly, always, unlike FSX where you will spend more time tweaking than flying, & P3D where you will have to have good hardware.

And I agree, Flightgear is great free fun, with an amazing Space Shuttle. Their scenery is good as well. All free.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived