Scenery.cfg file error

wschneid

I recently started getting an error message while loading FSX. It says "Scenery.cfg file error. Invalid remote scenery path in scenery Area.048. Click OK to continue."

It doesn't seem to effect the program running, although there are so many scenery files I may have just not gotten to that file yet. What does it mean and how can I correct it.

wschneid

It usually means you deleted, or moved, or something like that, a scenery file, without first removing it from the scenery library.

It should have given you the name of the file it's looking for, or you can open the scenery library and find it by number. Then, remove it from the scenery library.

Restart the sim, and see if it happens again. Shouldn't, I don't believe.

There are many posts on this very problem in the forum. Try doing a quick search through to see what others have recommended too. There may be an easier way that I don't know about.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

First, you will only notice any problems if you try flying in the area that is covered by Area.048.

The invalid remote scenery path is an indication that the scenery is either missing, or more likely, referenced wrongly.

A normal scenery entry in the scenery.cfg file looks like this.....

[Area.002]

Title=Default Scenery

Local=Scenery\BASE

Layer=2

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

The entry that 'tells' FSX where the scenery files are is the Local= line. If this line gets corrupted you get an error. Likewise, if it can't find the scenery at the specified location you get an error. Sometimes, when you look at the entry it will actually say Remote= instead of Local=.

WRT to the comments by Pat about using the setting page to remove the entry. First it should be noted that, if you have not added any new scenery OR changed the priority listing of any of the FSX Default scenery then the error area is most likely a FSX default one - this is based on the fact that when you install FSX the default areas occupy Area.001. to Area.115 (Standard/Deluxe versions) or Area.120 (Accel) - subsequent scenery items you install then take the next area number in sequence.

The second thing to note about this is that, when viewed via the Scenery setting page, the listing is in reverse order- the item at P1 is actually the last item installed so, for example, in the case of only default items installed, P1 = Area.115 or Area.120

Two options to try -

1. Rename the current scenery.cfg to scenery_copy.cfg and then start FSX - it will rebuild a new .cfg based on what it finds. This may resolve the issue.

2. Manually check the entry in the scenery.cfg file. This can be done by opening the file in notepad and check that there is a valid Aera.048 entry. Use the info givne to check that the scenery files are in the location specified. If the details are wrong you could edit the entry using a similar entry as a guide. Again I suggest making a backup copy of the current .cfg before making any changes.

If unsure of what may need to be changed you can copy and paste the info into the thread so that I/others can give advice.

A handy freeware tool that might help you here is Scenery Config Editor - it can be downloaded from HERE and details of what it can do and instructions on how to use it can be found HERE.

Once installed it will read the current .cfg file and give indications to error areas. It has a built-in text editor that opens directly at the problem area.

Regards

Brian

Open the folder at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and look for your scenery.cfg.

If you are running FSX Steam the path might be C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE.

Open the scenery.cfg with Notepad (not Word or Wordpad, simple text editor only) and look for [Area.048]

Copy everything in that entry and post it in a reply, please.

The second thing to note about this is that, when viewed via the Scenery setting page, the listing is in reverse order- the item at P1 is actually the last item installed so, for example, in the case of only default items installed, P1 = Area.115 or Area.120

I assume by P1 you mean priority one.

The last item installed may not be at priority one, it could have been moved down the list.

Also, while you are correct that the priority in the Scenery Library is the inverse of what you see in the scenery.cfg, priority in the scenery.cfg is the Layer= line, not the [Area.nnn] line.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• 1 year later...

Thanks Brian,

Opening up the config file in notepad, then scrolling down to the path number which for me was 125 showed me which add-on FSX was having problems with, for me it was UK airfield volume three.

I went back into the scenery configuration in FSX, deleted the UK airfields volume three, then manually added it again. All is now well!

Archived