Sling load FUN!

Here's a little fun I had tonight with the MV-22 from SOH

AICarriers for the sling loads,

And a little AI carrier file called Carrier Tracks.

The carrier is Javier's, nicely lit up, and moving at 25Kts, the load is a generator from Hovercontrol

On approach to the boat:

ScreenHunter_2690 Jun. 27 22.54_A.jpg

The load is placed on the deck, bird is in a hover, matched to the carrier

It's a little hard to see, but look closely behind the plane on the carrier's deck, almost centered...

ScreenHunter_2693 Jun. 27 22.57_A.jpg

I had a LOT of fun doing this. I actually managed to place 2 loads tonight, a first for me!

Hope you enjoy the pictures :D

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi, Zippy!

It's a very well done bird, but has it's quirks. Read the included manual carefully. Once you get used to it, though, it's lots of fun.

You'll have to add the [sling.0] section to the aircraft.cfg "manually", but it's not difficult. Read my latest post(s) on the MV-22 thread in the FSX forum, and I give lots of details about adding, and adjusting, the hoist settings. I haven't done anything about the actual "sling", only the hoist settings. I will add the sling settings later, but I don't know the details of where it's located on the bird, or if it even has one. And what it's capabilities are if it has a sling.

I also adjusted the .cfg settings for AICarriers, from the .cfg file included from Hovercontrol. I added some loads, changed some to different kinds, like a fuel bladder instead of a pallet of boxes, things like that. Super easy. I can post the .cfg file for AIC if you want, but you'll have to get some loads downloaded from Hovercontrol. I can try to find the links again, if you want.

Once you get it set up for hoist ops, though, it's a lot of fun. Rob Barendregt created the VTOL gauges, and hoist camera, a radar for finding either airborne targets or ground targets, particularly carriers (and other ships), and so on. It's called Addon 3 (original, huh? :D), and is in the SOH library. I am pretty sure a link to it's in the thread, back a few pages. He's working on an updated version of it atm (I'm beta testing it now), but took a vacation, so it'll be a week or two before it's available.

Someone, a guy named Kalong, I think, updated a KC-130 from FS2002 to FSX native for mid-air refueling operations, and it's works very well. It's back a few pages in the thread as well. I tested the mid-air refueling, but it worked perfectly, so I'm focusing on the hoist ops.

Anywho, have fun with it! I sure as heck am :pilot: :cool:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Hi Pat!

Is that MV-22 a payware or freeware plane? I'd love to give it a try if it doesn't mean I pay a Kings Ransom to find out it had, has no RW flying characteristics similar to what I felt while flying Ch-34s and Ch-46s!

I have heard from more than one or two old RW chopper guys who flew years after I couldn't that the RW Osprey was hugely scary and dangerous!

Having said that, I must admit the Ch-46s were also criticized in the same manner because as a twin main rotor aircraft their predecessor was the "Piesacki Widowmaker" which also had twin main rotors but they were side by side and canted enough to each side they could decapitate a tall person on the ground who was approaching them from the side while the rotors were turning! Which I think we can all agree, isn't a good thing!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

It's freeware. All I can afford :D

You know, it will have the same problem they all do for you: No "seat of the pants" feel, but other than that...

I never flew a rotorcraft other than in FSX, but I am thoroughly enjoying the MV-22. Closest I ever came was nearly getting decapitated by the SAR Huey in Yuma while working on top of a Kfir for VMFAT-401. Interesting story, but not relevant here :D

The big difference between the MV-22 and the '46, aside from the whole "airplane mode" part of it, is that a) the rotors don't intersect one another, so no problem with a broken gear tooth or drive shaft causing instant destruction, and b) they will hold the bird up, at least in airplane mode, and I believe in partial helicopter mode, if one engine fails, as they both will be powered by either engine. Not a change-over if one engine fails. They are both driven by both engines constantly, so if one fails, there's no power interruption, just a loss of 50% of their total power available.

The main things I've read in Approach Magazine about the Osprey is that it's somewhat underpowered. Lots of stories about lifting off the deck, sliding out of the ground effect, and winding up with very wet troopies in the back. Even with the Emergency Power setting available.

ANYwho, this MV-22 is available over in the Sim Outhouse library. I can dig up the link to it, and Rob's improved VTOL gauge it needs, if your need.

How scary and dangerous it is, you'll have to decide for yourself :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pat,

As always, thanks for taking a few words to respond!

46's, 53's, & other multi engine birds typically had multiple engines feeding a common primary "main transmission" and the input from each engine had a sprag clutch. In other words, if the main transmission output shaft or either engine input shaft was spinning faster than either or both engine output shafts, the clutch decoupled the slower turning engine/s shaft so there was no drag on the transmission. In fact all choppers I'm aware of use a sprag clutch between the engine/s and the "main transmission" to allow the aircraft to "auto-rotate" after engine failure as well

As to the Osprey being "under-powered." I believe in combat and overly hot weather or at high altitude every chopper could be considered "under-powered!" More often than not, when first taking off for a mission we were "over-gross" and had huge problems getting enough airspeed up to lift out of ground-cushion. Though when over-gross and taking off from land, having wheels helped a lot!! In fact that's why you often saw Hueys wizzing along a few feet off the ground during land based takeoffs. They didn't have wheels to roll on!!

However taking off from a ship's deck or from a high cliff, such as at Avalon, you very quickly didn't have a ground-cushion to work with! Hence, you took a dive to get the nose down and pick up airspeed to, hopefully, avoid a stall!

And yes, we've had many a trooper throw-up on the cabin floor when we went over the edge of the LPH, lost ground-cushion, and the plane almost fell into the ocean! More than once by the time we got the airspeed built up enough to "fly," we were running the windshield wipers because of spray off the ocean itself! I don't recall actually dipping the gear into the water on take-off but we sure came very-very close on a regular basis!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the info!! I'll probably download the the "Osprey" soon and give it a try.

Michael

ANYwho, this MV-22 is available over in the Sim Outhouse library. I can dig up the link to it, and Rob's improved VTOL gauge it needs, if your need.

How scary and dangerous it is, you'll have to decide for yourself :D

Pat☺

Linkozoid, por favor!

While searching, I did find this one. A bit complicated to start but good graphics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WtzIE3_ECjMjBqVVJNeGdjSEk/view

Never mind pat, it's all part of the same link that I found. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/104919-new-MV-22B-Osprey-is-released

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Don't forget, you'll need to add Rob's VTOL/Refueling/Hover-over-a-moving-ship gauge: HERE. He gives the hoist's [sling] section to add to the aircraft.cfg, but you might want to make the changes I showed in my post on the SOH forum to it to "optimize" it. Otherwise the cable will break on you a LOT, and it becomes very frustrating.

Very nice AI plane for mid-air refueling is the update KC-130, found right HERE. However, I sidled up to a C-208 and got a big load of fuel from it. Amazing how much fuel a C-208 can hold! :D

I use the Carrier Tracks file to provide me moving carriers without having to place them with AICarriers. It's in the Flightsim Library HERE. Easy to use. Unzip, install IAW the Readme, and voila!

I got the sling loads from Hovercontrol's Scar Creek scenery add-ons. Just go to Hovercontrol and search for SCAR. There are several, but I will post the links for them if y'all want. I'm just being lazy :rolleyes:

I added the included AICarriers config file to the conf.d folder from the Scar Creek Outposts, but I made a few changes to it. Added some things, changed some positions, things like that. At the moment it's the only config file I'm using, other than the main config file for AIC. I don't like having the menu crowded so I have to go searching through it. I can post my changed .cfg file if you want, or just use the original included in the Scar Creek downloads. You will need the Scar Creek stuff for the hoist-able objects, though. Boxes on pallets, generators, crated propane tanks, all kinds of fun goodies to hoist and place. Be careful, though, some are very heavy and will break the cable more readily than others :eek:

There are two ways to utilize them. The Saved Flight method, or the AICarriers method. To me, the AICarriers method is a lot easier, and as I may have noted a time or two, I'm lazy :rolleyes: :p

Hope all my babbling helps a little!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FINALLY! Managed to get the buzzard started and "as they say" GOT IT UP! Even got it down on to terra firma! Woohoo!:D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198434[/ATTACH]

As we used to say in the real world. "All takeoffs are optional. But after any take-off, landing is mandatory!"

Some of my landings would have reminded me of Jan's or worse if I read his posts back then. But they were all still mandatory!

Michael

As we used to say in the real world. "All takeoffs are optional. But after any take-off, landing is mandatory!"

Some of my landings would have reminded me of Jan's or worse if I read his posts back then. But they were all still mandatory!

Michael

Thanks, Michael! Just did another quick test flight. Finally figured out the cold and dark startup. Their posted procedure is hogwash. It's as simple as move the nacelles to 45 degrees, turn on battery and press CTRL+E for engine start. Turn the gen switches on and move the prop levers down to engage the props.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Oh, just wait till some of the other paints in the pipeline come out.

I agree, though, it's an UGLY bird. Neither fish nor fowl, as the saying goes, but it seems to do the job well. Great for carrying supplies to the troops in the field, carrying troop about, unrep asea, disaster relief, SAR ops, lotsa stuff. With the airplane mode, it can go a pretty long way with a heavy load aboard, and in helicopter mode perform VTOL ops, tight LZ's, unrep, all that fun stuff.

Ugly, but not a bad idea, really. At least IMO, for what that's worth :rolleyes:

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived