Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Around the world in 175 days.

1. Default

September 17, 1924: They had hoped to get off early the day but heavy fog lasted all day. The next morning they were off for Omaha Nebraska, landing at Jarvis Offutt field at Fort Crook. Again crowds converged on the flyers, being held off by solders. Again there was a dinner with speeches by local dignitaries, but this time the citizens of Omaha chose a queen and five ladies in waiting who were to be the flyers hostesses for the evening. Instead of shaking hands and expressing thanks for the welcome for hours, they got to hold one hand the whole evening and communicate “in the more eloquent language of eyes”, the idea met with their enthusiastic approval.

October 15, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the BAe Hawk T1. The hawk is a single engine advanced trainer used by the RAF and many other nations. It first flew in 1974 and is still in production with over 1000 being built. The flight to Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha was uneventful. Weather was cloudy with 13 knot winds gusting to 23, overcast at 3900 feet and a temperature of 12C/43F. I climbed up to 3500 feet and headed west. I was cruising along happily at 440 knots when my fuel calculations told me I would not make it the 370 miles (I should have installed the drop tanks) so I slowed down to 240 knots. The weather cleared up as I got to Omaha and I landed after flying 1.5 hours with plenty of fuel remaining.

Here are the pics:

Ready to go.

Climbing out of Chicago.

Heading west.

It all sort of looks the same.

Over a lake some where.

Our destination is in sight.

On final.

Secured.

Thanks for reading.
    ATB.

That 737 that you showed, in the UAL colors, was my father's favorite aircraft. He called it the mini-pig. He even got to where the ATC's at KSFO, his home base, would recognize his call sign as he was coming in. His name is Alfred, but he would call in using the old Cosby Cartoon character's signature: "Hey, hey, hey! It's FAAAAAAT Albert!" The ATC's knew who it was and would give him the landing instructions without asking.

By the way, speaking of the PsA planes: He always called them The Grinning Idiots. They were still flying into San Diego (KSAN) when I went to bootcamp right next door. It was a little hard, watching them fly out as we were running the "Confidence Course", with the Drill Instructors screaming at us. Sure looked inviting to jump the fence and try to hitch a ride on one. To ANYwhere but bootcamp It was just a 6' chainlink along our running course that kept us off the airport. After a while in boot it would have been a piece of cake to jump it.

ANYway, great pictures, and the narration is wonderful. I've been following along the thread, even if I don't say much. Thanks for the whole series!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    That 737 that you showed, in the UAL colors, was my father's favorite aircraft. He called it the mini-pig. He even got to where the ATC's at KSFO, his home base, would recognize his call sign as he was coming in. His name is Alfred, but he would call in using the old Cosby Cartoon character's signature: "Hey, hey, hey! It's FAAAAAAT Albert!" The ATC's knew who it was and would give him the landing instructions without asking.

By the way, speaking of the PsA planes: He always called them The Grinning Idiots. They were still flying into San Diego (KSAN) when I went to bootcamp right next door. It was a little hard, watching them fly out as we were running the "Confidence Course", with the Drill Instructors screaming at us. Sure looked inviting to jump the fence and try to hitch a ride on one. To ANYwhere but bootcamp It was just a 6' chainlink along our running course that kept us off the airport. After a while in boot it would have been a piece of cake to jump it.

ANYway, great pictures, and the narration is wonderful. I've been following along the thread, even if I don't say much. Thanks for the whole series!
    Pat☺
    The Grinning Idiots, I love it!
    Thanks, I am very glad your enjoying it, i'm in the home stretch now, got to get it finished.

4. Default

September 18, 1924: The original plan was to follow the airmail route over the Rocky Mountians through Cheyanne Wyoming and Salt lake city but the lowest point in the continental divide was 6500 feet and the airmail planes often had to fly between 8000 and 9000 feet to safely pass. Lt Smith wanting to avoid the risks of flying at that altitude decided, with General Patricks approval, to fly through Dallas Texas and San Diego California before returning to the 'official' starting point of Seattle Washington. So instead of continuing west from Omaha that morning they headed south following the Missouri river 125 miles to the town of St Joseph Missouri, there they would be treated to a luncheon by the civic leaders and watch an aerobatic show by Lt Rubin Moffatt before heading to there next stop.

October 15, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the Cessna 177 Cardinal. The 177 was a “futuristic successor to the Cessna 172 with both fixed and retractable landing gear versions. Although it never really replaced the 172, at least 4295 were built between 1968 and 1979. The model I am using is the 177RG version by Alabeo and it is quite nice. Weather for the flight was clear and calm, temperature of 4C/39F. The flight itself was uneventful, followed the Missouri River south to the Rosecrahs Memorial Airport in St Joseph Missouri. The 93mn flight took 44 minutes.

Here are the pics:

Ready to go.

Everything looks good.

Cruisin.

Following the Missouri River.

Selfie.

Nice view of the river and the fall colors.

On Final.

Landed.

Thanks for reading
    ATB.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11