Unable to start FSX

quincysw1

I am running windows 7 pro 64bit and when trying to start FSX get an error message ' Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microsoft DirectX® installed on you computer is incompatible. Please reinstall Direct X9.0 by running FS Setup or download the current version, '

I have reinstalled FSX several times and installed the current DirectX but still cannot start FSX and get the same error message.

Any help would be much appreciated

regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

There appears to be conflict between one or more of the DX9 files or that some of them may be missing.

When you say you have installed the 'current' DX what do you mean? For example, do you mean a later version (the current latest version is 12). If so, that won't work as, although DX versions are supposedly backward compatible, essentially they are not as they don't include the files of earlier versions.

Try downloading the DX Redistributable package from MS (found HERE) to a temp location and then run the file using Admin rights.

The pack covers all the latest version of DX currently supported (V9 10 11 and 12) and will only install the necessary files to replace missing/corrupted/out of date ones....

Regards

Brian

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 6/23/2017, 14:44:41

Machine name: BRIAN-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170512-0600)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP

System Model: HP ProDesk 400 G2.5 SFF

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/22/15 11:18:53 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8152MB RAM

Page File: 4645MB used, 11654MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Hi Brian,

Something simple you can try is to rename the fsx.cfg to something like fsx.bak and then start FSX. It will build a new one and it may resolve the issue - it may be something as simple as a 'bad' entry in the current file.

Another option may to be delete the Shaders cache. Note, that I have never done this myself but if you do a search of the forum you will find some threads on the subject.

Regards

Brian

I have uninstalled FSX and am trying to reinstall but when starting the dvd get a message repair/remove. Tried repair with no effect. When selecting remove get message ' Error number 0x80040702 '.

I am really stuck now as I can neither completely uninstall or install Fsx

Archived