Please help:- scenery error message on fsx se

tmckinnin

The most common reason for this error is that either the scenery is missing completely (i.e. deleted) or that the entry in the scenery.cfg file has become corrupted.

Depending on which of these are the cause will determine the course of action to be taken.

First, I think it is important to point out that , as you are using the steam version of FSX, it is essentially FSX with the Acceleration addon. This means that the area entry in question [Area.120] is likely to be the last default FSX location referenced in the listing (namely Edwards_AFB. Of course, this assumption only stands it you have not made any priority listing changes to the default areas.......

There a number of ways to check this error out - all done with FSX closed......

Before doing any of the following, confirm that the associated files for the missing location are still installed - if it is as I have assumed that the problem area is related to the default FSX Edwards AFB area the associated scenery can be found in the Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB folder located within the FSX root folder.

Option 1 - Delete and rebuild the scenery.cfg and scenery list.

1. Locate the current 'live' scenery.cfg file - it is usually found at either:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (for the boxed version or the SE version if no boxed version has been installed.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE - for SE version if installed alongside a current boxed version install.

NOTE - there are a number of FSX locations where you will find a 'copy' of the scenery.cfg file. All but the 'live' versions are cached copies that are written to when FSX loads using the data from the 'live' version. DO NOT DELETE/RENAME ANY OF THESE.

2. Rename the file to something like scenery.bak, scenery_copy.bak or scenery_old.bak.

3. Run FSX. It will build a new .cfg file based on what it finds.

Option 2 - Edit the scenery.cfg file

Al that may be wrong is that the entry in the scenery.cfg file has become corrupted. The main culprit is the Local= entry. This entry 'tells' FSX where to find the files associated with scenery

1. As with Option 1, make a backup copy of the scenery.cfg.

2. Open the scenery.cfg using Notepad - don't use any other application (such as Word etc) to do this as they may insert hidden format characters that will cause issues.

3. Find the [Aera.120} entry It should look something like this

[Area.120]

Title=Edwards_AFB

Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

NOTE This example is a correctly formatted entry for the default FSX Edwards AFB entry BUT if you have mad changes then you need to change the line highlighted in red to point to the correct location.

If you are not sure as to what should be entered report back to the thread with details of the scenery and its location on your system

Regards

Brian

The error is being caused because that particular entry is pointing to the scenery subfolder of the addon scenery folder ("addon scenery/scenery") - it should be pointing to the parent folder ("addon scenery") and FSX will automatically find scenery and texture subfolders.

If you are going to manually edit your scenery.cfg, you can just delete the "/scenery" part of that path.

Let me know if you need any help.

The easiest fix is to find the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery Library and uncheck it.

If you can find your FSX-SE folders, there should be a folder in the FSX-SE folder named Addon Scenery.

In that folder should be a folder named scenery

Adding those folders, if missing, will also make the error message go away.

First, I think it is important to point out that , as you are using the steam version of FSX, it is essentially FSX with the Acceleration addon. This means that the area entry in question [Area.120] is likely to be the last default FSX location referenced in the listing (namely Edwards_AFB. Of course, this assumption only stands it you have not made any priority listing changes to the default areas.......

[Area.120] is not Edwards, it is Addon Scenery in a default FSX-SE.

It becomes Edwards if you have, I believe, some Orbx scenery installed.

BTW, if you look at the OP's screenshot it says that FSX cannot find Addon Scenery.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

The error is being caused because that particular entry is pointing to the scenery subfolder of the addon scenery folder ("addon scenery/scenery") - it should be pointing to the parent folder ("addon scenery") and FSX will automatically find scenery and texture subfolders.

That statement is not correct. FSX adds the \SCENERY bit to the error message.

If you do not believe me, test it yourself.

If you are going to manually edit your scenery.cfg, you can just delete the "/scenery" part of that path.

Let me know if you need any help.

I would advise against new users manually editing the scenery.cfg as anything you do manually can be done safely in the sim, except screw up the scenery.cfg. That is much easier to do by editing it manually.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

The most common reason for this error is that either the scenery is missing completely (i.e. deleted) or that the entry in the scenery.cfg file has become corrupted.

Depending on which of these are the cause will determine the course of action to be taken.

There a number of ways to check this error out - all done with FSX closed......

Before doing any of the following, confirm that the associated files for the missing location are still installed - if it is as I have assumed that the problem area is related to the default FSX Edwards AFB area the associated scenery can be found in the Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB folder located within the FSX root folder.

Option 1 - Delete and rebuild the scenery.cfg and scenery list.

1. Locate the current 'live' scenery.cfg file - it is usually found at either:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (for the boxed version or the SE version if no boxed version has been installed.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE - for SE version if installed alongside a current boxed version install.

NOTE - there are a number of FSX locations where you will find a 'copy' of the scenery.cfg file. All but the 'live' versions are cached copies that are written to when FSX loads using the data from the 'live' version. DO NOT DELETE/RENAME ANY OF THESE.

2. Rename the file to something like scenery.bak, scenery_copy.bak or scenery_old.bak.

3. Run FSX. It will build a new .cfg file based on what it finds.

Option 2 - Edit the scenery.cfg file

Al that may be wrong is that the entry in the scenery.cfg file has become corrupted. The main culprit is the Local= entry. This entry 'tells' FSX where to find the files associated with scenery

1. As with Option 1, make a backup copy of the scenery.cfg.

2. Open the scenery.cfg using Notepad - don't use any other application (such as Word etc) to do this as they may insert hidden format characters that will cause issues.

3. Find the [Aera.120} entry It should look something like this

[Area.120]

Title=Edwards_AFB

Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

NOTE This example is a correctly formatted entry for the default FSX Edwards AFB entry BUT if you have mad changes then you need to change the line highlighted in red to point to the correct location.

If you are not sure as to what should be entered report back to the thread with details of the scenery and its location on your system

this is scnmery 120:

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

what should I do

[quote=StringBean;2022451......

[Area.120] is not Edwards, it is Addon Scenery in a default FSX-SE.

It becomes Edwards if you have, I believe, some Orbx scenery installed.

BTW, if you look at the OP's screenshot it says that FSX cannot find Addon Scenery.

peace,

the Bean

OK, I stand corrected if that is the case. I don't have the SE version but based my remarks on the info contained in the scenery.cfg files on my two rigs. Both have a boxed install of FSX - one based on the Gold edition and the other on a Deluxe install W/Accel addon pack added at a later date. In both installs the default Addon Scenery entry is at [Area.115] and [Area.120] is Edwards. I have made no changes to the priority listing of the default areas but have made many changes to other areas over the years when installing 3rd party stuff.

WRT to the area number changing if you add ORBX scenery - IME any 3rd party addon, be it payware or freeware, always gets added as #1 in the list (when viewed in the Scenery Settings page) and to the next Area AND Layer # to be used - this will then be at the bottom of the list if viewed in notepad.

The only way to know if a scenery has been moved within the 'Priority' listing (other than you making the change yourself) is to view the contents of the scenery.cfg file in notepad - the Area # doesn't change but the Layer # does.

So for example, if you install a new scenery and its the 200th item it will be at P1 in the settings page and [Area.200] and Layer=200 in notepad.

Moving it down the priority listing 5 places the entries in notepad view will now be [Area.200] and Layer=195

Regards

Brian

this is scnmery 120:

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

what should I do

As it has been pointed out by the Bean, this may be the correct entry for the default FSX-SE Addon Scenery folder - see my post in response (post #9). The entry looks OK.

Have you tried the procedure I listed at Option 1 of my original post (#3).

Additional thing to check - does the Addon Scenery folder contain ONLY two subfolders, named Scenery and Texture, at the next level. If you have added any other scenery folders at this level it will cause issues.

Regards

Brian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198310[/ATTACH]

I have add-on scenery folder but were do I go to change or fix this iussue

Open that folder named Addon Scenery and verify there is a folder in there named scenery.

If it is missing, and I suspect it is, add it.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

The only way to know if a scenery has been moved within the 'Priority' listing (other than you making the change yourself) is to view the contents of the scenery.cfg file in notepad - the Area # doesn't change but the Layer # does.

The best way to verify priority is to look in the Scenery Library in the sim.

I appreciate you are trying to help, however, I believe counseling new users to manually edit the scenery.cfg is inappropriate.

I say this because over the years I have had to help many folks who did try to manually edit the scenery.cfg only to screw things up worse than they were to begin with.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

...does the Addon Scenery folder contain ONLY two subfolders, named Scenery and Texture, at the next level. If you have added any other scenery folders at this level it will cause issues.

I have added dozens of scenery addons at that level without issue.

As long as you understand those addons have to be registered in the Scenery Library to work you should be fine.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Open that folder named Addon Scenery and verify there is a folder in there named scenery.

If it is missing, and I suspect it is, add it.

peace,

the Bean

This is inside of my Addon Scenery folder.

addon scenery folder.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

It sounds like you do not understand what the scenery library is.

It is inside the fsx program.

You start fsx, and go to 'settings'

There select "scenery library" and you will see it.

When you "add an area" there, the change will be saved in the scenery.cfg file.

Make the changes there, and not directly in the file scenery.cfg file. Much safer to make changes inside fsx.

What you need to do is to make sure that in the folder: ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

you have a folder called: "Addon Scenery"

and you have to make sure that in:"

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\

there is a folder called: scenery

and a folder called: texture

Then you need to start fsx and look in the scenery library.

If the folder: Addon Scenery

is not in the list, you need to add it. To add it use the buttons on the right.

If it is in the list, and you still get the message on startup,

then remove it from the scenery library list,

click OK to get back to the main fsx screen,

open the library again,

and then add the "Addon Scenery" with the buttons on the right.

Then back to the main fsx menu's

and close fsx.

Next time the error should be gone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What you need to do is to make sure that in the folder: ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Ain't got no folder called "texture" inside of my FSX/Addon Scenery folder.

I had a look in the backup of fresh fsx I made just after the fsx install.

In /Addon scenery

are

/texture

and

/scenery

(fsx-accell. disk edition.)

Interesting! What textures are stored in there?

Both were empty originally.

I installed some scenerys (airports) in /addon scenery

(some addon makers give that instruction).

Their .bgl files go in /fsx/addon scenery/scenery

their textures

in /fsx/addon scenery/texture.

Later I gave those airports their own separate folders later.

Sort of:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\EDDF_Frankfurt_Liebe\scenery

and

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\EDDF_Frankfurt_Liebe\texture

In the:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery

and

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\texture

I do still have object libraries .bgl files, and their textures.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It sounds like you do not understand what the scenery library is.

It is inside the fsx program.

You start fsx, and go to 'settings'

There select "scenery library" and you will see it.

When you "add an area" there, the change will be saved in the scenery.cfg file.

Make the changes there, and not directly in the file scenery.cfg file. Much safer to make changes inside fsx.

Then you need to start fsx and look in the scenery library.

If the folder: Addon Scenery

is not in the list, you need to add it. To add it use the buttons on the right.

If it is in the list, and you still get the message on startup,

then remove it from the scenery library list,

click OK to get back to the main fsx screen,

open the library again,

and then add the "Addon Scenery" with the buttons on the right.

Then back to the main fsx menu's

and close fsx.

Next time the error should be gone.

in my add-on scenery I don't have scenery or textures do have to manually add these folders myself

The info on .bgl files was only for mrzippy. It's about how I installed some addon scenery. (Airports.)

that has nothing to do with fixing your error message. You just need to fix the startup message using the steps I explained to you.

(The fix I explained for you is the same method that stringbean explained. Just in different words.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived