Questions on FSX Steam multiplayer server hosting

I would like to open an FSX server and I've found a guide on steam on how to host a server, but it requires "forwarding" my router ports.

What does that exactly do?

Does it affect my internet connection?

Can someone hack into my PC or steal any information?

Is their any risk with opening your internet ports?

Is their a risk of screwing up your router and internet?

Last, can you close your internet ports if your done hosting??

google is your friend... try this steam solution:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/626329820847354305/

I've had my fsx ports open for decades with no issues. you might want to also do a little 'extra credit' reading on the subject first just to get comfortable with the idea.

hope that helps

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

google is your friend... try this steam solution:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/626329820847354305/

I've had my fsx ports open for decades with no issues. you might want to also do a little 'extra credit' reading on the subject first just to get comfortable with the idea.

hope that helps

Loyd

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely read more on this subject. So nothing is affected with my router or internet connection??

When hosting a multiplayer session you are essentially setting up your computer to act as a server that others log on to.

Everyone has acces, and if you password protect it the only those that know (or guess) the password can get in.

Your fsx is then logging everyone's position, speed, heading, aircraft type, and texture.

Then it is transmiting that to all other users. So they see eackh other's planes while flying.

All that data is transmitted through your Internet Subscription, so yes, data use goes up.

(And unless you have an unlimited data plan already, that means your costs go up too.)

It will put a load on your computer as well, making the pc work harder.

When it can't keep up, users will experience slow connections. That gives them stuttering while flying online.

When connections get swamped they get disconnected and have to start over.

Also, when you switch your computer off, everyone else is disconnected too. That wil also mean you have to announce every session, so people know when they can log in.

The online forum I used to be a member of was set up on a separate server. The person that ran it, also had a separate pc for his personal use. To me that seems like the best way to go. The online server was online 24-7, so people could log on whenever they felt like flying. Also his personal files were safe from people trying to get in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When hosting a multiplayer session you are essentially setting up your computer to act as a server that others log on to.

Everyone has acces, and if you password protect it the only those that know (or guess) the password can get in.

Your fsx is then logging everyone's position, speed, heading, aircraft type, and texture.

Then it is transmiting that to all other users. So they see eackh other's planes while flying.

All that data is transmitted through your Internet Subscription, so yes, data use goes up.

(And unless you have an unlimited data plan already, that means your costs go up too.)

It will put a load on your computer as well, making the pc work harder.

When it can't keep up, users will experience slow connections. That gives them stuttering while flying online.

When connections get swamped they get disconnected and have to start over.

Also, when you switch your computer off, everyone else is disconnected too. That wil also mean you have to announce every session, so people know when they can log in.

The online forum I used to be a member of was set up on a separate server. The person that ran it, also had a separate pc for his personal use. To me that seems like the best way to go. The online server was online 24-7, so people could log on whenever they felt like flying. Also his personal files were safe from people trying to get in.

Thanks again for the feedback. I kinda figured I would need a separate PC for server running, but I currently only have one PC that can run FSX. I also don't have the money or space to buy another PC. So looks like I won't be opening any server anytime soon. Oh well at least I can still play multiplayer.

Archived