Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spreading the load across all threads of CPU

Thanks
    It seems I should go for a faster CPU.
    Not sure if I want to fork out a lot of money to upgrade my whole system although I could upgrade my CPU. I saw a new new 4790K (sticker states 4.0Gkz and can be overclocked) for $400 which is an option (I could possibly sell my old 4770 for about $200) but how much faster would FSX run at 4.0Ghz compared to 3.4Ghz? The numbers indicate the CPU is 17.5% faster but how does that 'equate' in FSX. Maybe the law of 'diminishing returns' The more you pay the less you get (as you go higher) so maybe not not 17% more fps.

(ADDED LATER)
    After 'googling' 4770 compared to the 4790 I found at least web sites which performed tests and published the results and for single threaded software the 4790 was only 3% faster, hardly worth spending money on I think although the 4790 is capable of overclocking which I have never done and not sure if I would try unless someone can tell me that it isn't difficult.
    Last edited by jparnold; 06-18-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: replace text
    Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 m/b CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.40 Ghz
    Memory: Single 8Gb DDR3 1600 ram
    Video - Radeon HD6770 1Gb ram
    Operating System: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Yeah, what you have now is about as good as it's gonna get. Perhaps an i7 7700k would be a little faster with some fast RAM. But then you have to run Win 10 if not already. I personally despise Win 10 and it will be a very long time before I move to it and when I do I'll have a Pfsense firewall blocking all of M$'s ASN's. But that's a whole other story.

Bottom line, just change the settings you have now to a lower number IF and only IF you have stuttering, etc. If you use clouds that are high def consider using lower def clouds. For example, I have REX textures and I just use the 512 pixel textures. Even though I know I proabbly could use higher def textures, I just don't want to saturate my CPU. It's bad enough that despite me using an i5 6600k overclocked to 4.4 GHz, I still get about 15 FPS in New York which is where I really see an FPS drop. No where else. It's primary due to all of the buildings and the third party airports I have. I shun to think what my FPS will look like when I finally get the PMDG 737NGX and fly around NY.

The future is VTOL
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM.
    My forum project
    A/C Config file settings.

One other factor to consider is the Turbo Boost speed of each CPU. This is basically built in dynamic overclocking that Intel CPUs have. Under the right conditions, the CPU will overclock itself. For the 4770 this means going from 3.4 to 3.9GHz, while the 4790K can go from 4 to 4.4 GHz.

Whether the difference is worth the price is up to you. You can certainly play with the settings to smooth out the performance with what you have. Moving to the faster CPU would give you a boost, but its hard to say exactly how much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2