Historic Jetliners Group

asos

Kenny,

Thanks again.

I am sorry to hear you had a health problem and cannot fly anymore because of it. The sim is a good alternative I guess and will do at a pinch.

At least you were fortunate enough to fly for real, while most simmers only fly in the sims...

I, for one, have only flown as a passenger...but 150 flights or so...6-7 in Greece, 2 to England, 1 to Moldova, 1 to Chechoslovakia, 1 to Poland, the rest to France --all from Greece, my home--I live in Athens, the capital and was born in it.

Nick

Yup. Love that website. I use their DC9-30 and B727-200 almost daily. I love flying the old way and not with a GPS or flight computer. I have many other aircraft from their site but those two are my favorite. The Caravelle is really good too!

One additional comment; I also have used the HJG airplanes and like them very much. The panels, though, contain many not-obvious details and are problematic unless you follow the user manual, which can be difficult to find. I usually do a google search for it.

I believe all the HJG aircraft have a very realistic panel available...not an alias to MS default, and much more complicated.

I have the Convair 880, DC-8-50 and DC-9-30. I also have my sim defaulted to load aircraft with everything off, so I must do a complete startup.

I found, for all three aircraft, that just using experience and intuition, it's not possible to start these aircraft. I must use a user's manual that I found via google search.

For example, the CV880 and DC-8 must have bleed air supplied by a ground cart first before starting the first engine; remaining engines can be started by cross-bleed. It's absolutely realistic, but not something I could figure out on my own.

Please don't misunderstand. I really love the HJG models and enjoy them. I do like the realism of the panel and associated procedures. I was just commenting that use of the manual is essential.

Nadlzfw

nadlzfw

Thanks....

If you did download some panels for the aircraft, for which aircraft were they?

All of the panels, sounds, and manuals are on the HJG websites. They are in seperate areas on the website. Make sure you download the proper panels for the aircraft you downloaded. IE a DC9-30 has a specific DC9-30 panel in the panels section. HJG also has a very good user's forum if you have any questions. Most questions are already answered in the forums. Enjoy!

I'm catching up with all this at a fairly late stage.

Thanks for your appreciation of our/HJG's efforts .... those of you whom have taken a moment to express such sentiments ;)

On the subject of something I "skim-read" here in regard to panel/support manuals ....

We/HJG compile our own data based on both RW operations and how each simulation "wants" to fly within FS .... the latter being the factor which governs everything.

This data, for each aircraft type/panel version, is accessible from each of our aircraft type support pages .... in the form of "INSTALLATION & HANDLING NOTES" postings .... and are the "official guides/manuals for HJG supplied simulations.

This data is usually very comprehensive .... extending way beyond just recommended installation procedures and aircraft/panel/engine type and thrust/weight and other technical information .... to include correct/recommended base pack, pane, sound configurations .... as well as the recommended panel preflight preparations, engine startup tutorials, and "basic" flying guides also.

Pretty much everything one needs to know (or be aware of at least, is covered within these HJG forum based presentations.

MRC

HJG

On the subject of something I "skim-read" here in regard to panel/support manuals ....

We/HJG compile our own data based on both RW operations and how each simulation "wants" to fly within FS ... the latter being the factor which governs everything. This data, for each aircraft type/panel version, is accessible from each of our aircraft type support pages .... in the form of "INSTALLATION & HANDLING NOTES" postings ... .and are the "official guides for HJG supplied simulations. This data is usually very comprehensive .... extending beyond just recommended installation procedures and aircraft/panel/engine type and thrust/weight and other technical information .... to include panel configuration and engine startup tutorials .... as well as recommended "basic" flying guides also.

I am having trouble finding these - could somebody give me a link? They certainly sound like they are just what I need.

John

Update - found them now on their "Messageboards" which I didn't know existed:

http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/board/2/boeing-support-forum

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

• 4 years later...
i just downloaded this aircraft since there where more repaints of it. i am not a pilot in real life so i would stick with the old 747-400 panel in the sim already. I know this is an old topic but i bought a new computer and FS9 is the 1st thing i installed. does anyone know if any of the HJG group stil do reapints? i downloaded the Republic repaint by Nicholas Botamer. has the black nose and the black anti-glare paint under the cockpit windows.it is prefect. .. i was looking to see if someone could reapint a 717 with the Republic blue goose livery.

Do you mean the US Republic Airlines Herman the Goose scheme? The 717's were apparently owned by Republic Airways in Venezuela. The US Republic was merged into Northwest in 1986, before the 717's appeared in 1998.

I do know there was a US commuter airline called Republic Airways after that, but I cannot find any 717's owned by them or painted in those colors. They did take over the routes flown by the Midwest 717's, but flew Embraers on them.

But I could be wrong and welcome corrections. :)

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I believe you're right Tom .... in regard to all of the above.

HJG do occasionally undertake what some people refer to as "FAKE" (WHAT IF) liveries. Some people just like a certain airline livery, on a particular aircraft type, despite the fact such equipment was never flown by an operator.

The group doesn't go out of its way to do this though simply because representing "FAKE" (WHAT IF) subjects can be a right royal "pain-a-place-where-the-sun-don't-shine" since its focused on historic reality primarily, but again, it does occasionally venture into the realms of "BS" .... usually as the result of requests that have been made to it as per the following -linked subjects ....

https://simviation.com/hjg/fantasy/fantasy.htm

I perhaps need to say most of (but not all of) the above linked "FAKE" (WHAT IF) livery subjects are aircraft types that were actually planned/considered (acquired i some cases too), but, ultimately never eventuated or entered service .... or .... it's been done just to see how the identity of a particular airline/operator might have looked on an certain aircraft type.

People are "welcome to ask" .... if they wish .... but .... HJG don't guarantee such requests will be honored (technically speaking the group isn't a repaint service) given its primary focus on "real world history".

MRC