Well, there goes our hobby ...

RatRace

or at least of those who fly the tubes or whatever you call them.

Perhaps old news, but

Boeing studies pilotless planes as it ponders next jetliner

Boeing Co is looking ahead to a brave new world where jetliners fly without pilots and aims to test some of the technology next year, the world's biggest plane maker said in a briefing ahead of the Paris Airshow.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-airshow-autonomous-idUSKBN18Z12M

So now at least we know what the NexGen Flight Simulator will look like. We start up the program, and spend the rest of the time sitting in the back as a passenger, while the whole thing flies itself.

Pretty sure that some of you are already doing that :)

On the contrary. I didn't read the article, but wouldn't this be like piloting a drone? And if so you still have to sit in front of a computer and pilot the thing.

But as AI emerges within say the next 50 years, expect to see a lot of things automated. I think it will mostly start from the shipping industry and industrial sector.

So now at least we know what the NexGen Flight Simulator will look like.

:) (giggles)

Seriously though. Please don't underestimate Stephen Borick and his hard-working NGIS team! They will no doubt have some novel ideas up their sleeves to ensure that the NexGen FlightSim will appeal to the public, even without human pilots being at the controls ....

http://images.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/104489.jpg?quality=60&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv

We start up the program, and spend the rest of the time sitting in the back as a passenger, while the whole thing flies itself.

How is that different from what the average NGX driver does now?

;)

My name is Erick Westbrook-Cantu. I used to make flightsim addons. I may or may not endorse this message. I do, however, fully endorse Marshall amplifiers, Gibson guitars, and Tama drums.
"This town is a dump. I'm never going to Las Vegas again." -Adam Donald Stanger: 1986-2015

http://images.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/104489.jpg?quality=60&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv

:D Reminds me of that age-old joke, about a pilot and a dog in an airplane. The dog is there to bite the pilot if the man so much as tries to touch the controls; the pilot's one remaining job is to feed the dog.

So old that only those who are new to the aviation industry laugh when hearing it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
AI is the future. We'd better re-educate ourselves now. Or retire early, which sounds quite attractive if you ask me. :-)

Grtz., Hans

No amount of re-education or training will be able to compensate for the number of jobs that will be automated, no matter how much "new jobs will be created" spin by the corporates and futurists. It's a hot topic at think tanks and research organizations around the world: what will people do, what will society become, when human beings are no longer required for most jobs? One report projects that 83% of workers earning less than $20 an hour will be replaced by an AI system, and sooner than we think.

"There goes our hobby" ... more like "there goes meaningful work and careers for millions, billions of people!" Has my basic income deposit arrived yet? :p

They said all this when the industrial revolution was under way. Back then it was a farm community. Point is, life, huh, finds a way.

Exactly, I recall hunter-gatherers saying the exact same thing when the first farmers started to settle :D

• 3 weeks later...
I get the creeps thinking about self-driving cars, let alone self-flying, no-pilots-aboard airliners.

I'm with you. I'm not fond of the thought of sitting in seat 50F while a robot navigates around thunderstorms over the Equator, perhaps without much thought of what our fuel state will look like by the time we reach our destination far down in South America, for example. I'm probably young enough to own a self driving car at some point, but maybe not the self driving plane.

'Did you mean: Jay, Vermont .... or .... Kay County, Oklahoma?
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived