Proper braking usage

So I was wondering if there's a proper way to brake in real life from everything to a Cessna 172, Lear and a 737. What I have been doing in the sim is brake the moment wheels hit the runway until 60 knots then release and bring the thrust to idle then apply brakes as necessary until the turn off. Is there a proper way to brake considering brake wear and tear?

Someone has to have some Info. I just would like to brake like they do in real life. So far my braking procedure works, but is it HOW you brake in real life? Is that what they teach you?

I'd take a private pilot Into. class, but I'm precluded from flying according to the FAR. So a Sim is all I have. :(

Well, on the C172, as far as I know, you don't use the brakes at all unless the runway is short enough to need them. You should chop the throttle just before TD, then just let her coast down to taxi speed. Unless you're on a pretty short runway, it should coast down very nicely without ever touching the brakes. They may need a small tap to get to the perfect taxi speed for turn off.

As to the jets, as far as I know, you chop the throttle about the fence as you pass over it, then on TD, you apply the reversers and spoilers. This is presuming you are at the proper landing speed, and your flaps configured properly. Slow down to about 60Kts, only using the brakes if needed. Then at 60Kts, take off the reversers, spoilers, and put your flaps up, and let her coast down to taxi, again, using brakes only if required. You may well need to either due to runway length, landing weight, or taxi-way assigned by Ground. Some jets have enough thrust at idle to make them taxi too fast, so you may need to keep tapping the brakes to keep you taxi speed under control.

Aero-braking helps sometimes. Once the mains touch down solidly, apply the spoilers and reversers, but hold the nose up in the landing configuration until it settles down on it's own. With the nose held up that way, the wings and body make a big drag. HOWEVER, some kinds of planes won't allow the spoilers and/or reversers without the nose-gear down, so it depends on what you're flying as to whether aero-braking is an effective method. This is a very popular procedure, less reversers obviously, for current military jets, again, with the nose stuck way up that way, the wings and tail make a big sail, with a huge drag to it. Although there is a British fighter, Tornado(?) that has reversers. Only modern fighter I know of that does. You just keep pulling back the stick (yoke) until the nose drops on it's own, and it will.

Most modern commercial jets have several auto-braking settings you can use, and procedures written for when and how much of that you need. You should read the operational instructions of that particular plane for information on when and how.

Finally, always ensure you turn on anti-skid, usually even before you take off in case of a reject take-off. FSX does have it, although you must set a key to toggle it. I have it on a joy-stick button, mainly because you don't use anti-skid on-board a carrier, but you do for shore-based recoveries. I like to be able to turn it on or off easily.

Does this help at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

That does help, thanks. I do use reverse thrust though and I always use proper flap settings. And I have been idling thrust at 60 knots. I never knew that you don't brake much in a Cessna though. I guess that makes sense for such a small light weight plane. That thing is a cinch to fly in FS. Although god awfully slow. I used to fly the Cessna Caravan amphibian all the time in FS9 and landing on water around the Hawaiian islands.

I never knew about Aero braking though. I did see a YouTube video that I thought was odd. It was a Lear 45 I think, could have been 35 and he flared down the runway forever. Now that I know what Aero braking is, I guess that's exactly what he was doing. It's very hard to flare the Lear 45 in FSX though. I try as I might, but the nose hits the ground very easily. My landing speed, depending on fuel load is anywhere between 140-150 knots in the Lear 45. At that makes the AOA at .2 coming in at that slow speed. Maybe I should throttle down to something as low as 130? I can't imagine going that slow. I bet my AOA would be .4 and I'd be pitching up like hell.

Well, I've never flown the Lear 35, so I can't speak to the correct landing speed/AOA. I wager there's a POH out there someplace though :D

I actually got to meet Mr. Lear several times. He married a good friend of my fathers' (an AA pilot, where my father was UAL) ex wife. Lovely woman named Helga Ausman. They used to come to parties my folks would throw, even though her ex was there. Name of John Ausman. Nice guy, smoked like a chimney :D She sure made a step up, from a senior AA pilot to Mr. Lear...

Anyway, Mr. Lear was a very friendly, and intelligent man, from what I recall. Sure seemed nice to me, but then I was about a 10 year old kid at the time.

Anyway, glad I could help :D

I am sure there's any number of aero-braking vids and explanations on the net. YouTube strikes again :) I use aero-braking when I land the FSDT F/A-18 or Dino's plane's, the F-14 or T-45, on shore stations. They stay up for a while, but they have warnings in the NATOPS not to rotate until take-off speed, or you'll never get there, so I bet they can rotate at a low speed. BIG horizontal stabs helps. It may be the 45 doesn't rotate at a very low speed, so the nose falls through more quickly. Much smaller horizontal stabs, I know that. Another bird I've never flown. I'm not much of a passenger driver.

Anyway, have fun with it!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Well, I've never flown the Lear 35, so I can't speak to the correct landing speed/AOA. I wager there's a POH out there someplace though :D

I actually got to meet Mr. Lear several times. He married a good friend of my fathers' (an AA pilot, where my father was UAL) ex wife. Lovely woman named Helga Ausman. They used to come to parties my folks would throw, even though her ex was there. Name of John Ausman. Nice guy, smoked like a chimney :D She sure made a step up, from a senior AA pilot to Mr. Lear...

Anyway, Mr. Lear was a very friendly, and intelligent man, from what I recall. Sure seemed nice to me, but then I was about a 10 year old kid at the time.

Anyway, glad I could help :D

I am sure there's any number of aero-braking vids and explanations on the net. YouTube strikes again :) I use aero-braking when I land the FSDT F/A-18 or Dino's plane's, the F-14 or T-45, on shore stations. They stay up for a while, but they have warnings in the NATOPS not to rotate until take-off speed, or you'll never get there, so I bet they can rotate at a low speed. BIG horizontal stabs helps. It may be the 45 doesn't rotate at a very low speed, so the nose falls through more quickly. Much smaller horizontal stabs, I know that. Another bird I've never flown. I'm not much of a passenger driver.

Anyway, have fun with it!

Pat☺

Cool. :D I mostly like the Lear 45 in FS mainly due to the ability for me to go great distances and get in and out of small fields relatively easily. I don't know if my Lear upgrade I installed here from the library is correct, but I was able to fly from Hawaii to Los Angeles without running out of fuel. In fact I think when I landed I had about 80 gallons left after a full tank. LOL

Another reason why I like the Lear is because my late great uncle flown them. He even flew the moon rocks somewhere. Don't know where and don't know all that much about the story. I'll have to ask my great aunt about that. My great uncle and I loved to discuss UFOs and all things paranormal. He had quite the stories from being in the military.

Archived