Who Is Going To FlightSimCon?

Nels_Anderson

• Founder

The 5th edition of FlightSimCon (not to be confused with FlightSim.Com!) is only days away, so I'm surprised there's no talk about it here.

http://flightsimcon.com/

I've attended all but there very small first year and it's a great event. Last year well over 500 flightsimmers attended and it's had steady growth each year and this year has had to move to a larger venue.

Major companies like Dovetail Games, Laminar Research and Lockheed Martin will be there, just to name a few.

They've even talked me into hosting a panel!

So who is going?

This is the first I've heard of it, Nels. But I've got other commitments at that time anyway, and it's near 2,000 miles away, so I'll not make it. Sorry...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

So who is going?

It certainly sounds interesting, Nels.

Major companies like Dovetail Games, Laminar Research and Lockheed Martin will be there, just to name a few.

What about our old friends NGIS -aka Nexgen Flightsim? Will they be there?

Also, have you heard from NGIS lately? Are they still alive..so to speak?

Any news on when the Nexgen prototype will be rolled out?

Thanks in advance

XY

• Founder

How can this possibly be the first you've heard of this? We've been running banner ads for months, we've run several news announcements, and for past years we've run full feature articles reporting on the event. If you don't see anything of these things, were on the web site should I put them so you do see them?

Just a note, this has become an international event. Last year I believe attendees came from about 40 states and as far away as Japan. The flightsim hobby has had large conventions like this for as long as I can remember, and this one has now become the big event in the U.S.

NGIS is a bit off topic here. Their sim is not far enough along in development to present anything yet. I have heard from them in recent months and as far as I know they are continuing their development.

How can this possibly be the first you've heard of this? We've been running banner ads for months, we've run several news announcements, and for past years we've run full feature articles reporting on the event. If you don't see anything of these things, were on the web site should I put them so you do see them?

I've known all about it in previous years, Nels, but this year I've rarely gone to the News portion of this site, and these days I just briefly scan the forums, once in a while seeing something of interest. Perhaps it's my reduced interest in simming, or... ???

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Considering it's being done in the northeast, I really wish this would be done in New York City, I think it would be more accessible to people in many ways, including those who fly in. Any particular reason why it's done in CT?

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

Considering it's being done in the northeast, I really wish this would be done in New York City, I think it would be more accessible to people in many ways, including those who fly in. Any particular reason why it's done in CT?

But you do know how expensive hotels are in New York City, particularly in June, right?

But you do know how expensive hotels are in New York City, particularly in June, right?
I checked the pricing on the lodging options given on the flightsimcon site and it's at par with what you would pay in the outer boroughs of the city, which are accessible via mass transit. Manhattan hotels are pricey, any time of the year.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

• Founder

I believe it's held in Connecticut because that is where the show organizers are location.

It's a pretty convenient location, right off a major highway and literally right at an international airport. No matter where a convention is located it will be close for some and farther for others, so there's no perfect location.

Me I just wait for the YouTube videos to come out. There are about a half-dozen from 2016 (look for ones saying uploaded '11 months ago'). Most are interviews with developers (15 to 30 minutes). But you do get some 'virtual' touring and can get an idea of how big an area the 'convention floor' covers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• Founder
Me I just wait for the YouTube videos to come out. There are about a half-dozen from 2016 (look for ones saying uploaded '11 months ago'). Most are interviews with developers (15 to 30 minutes). But you do get some 'virtual' touring and can get an idea of how big an area the 'convention floor' covers.

Chuck B

Napamule

Yes, but that hardly gets you the full convention experience. Watching a video after the fact is so different than being their with your fellow flightsimmers, actually meeting and interacting with each other.

I had heard something about it, I think in a thread. But somehow I haven't seen a single ad for flight sim con.

I cm mostly on phone lately, and on that I hardly see any images. Only the ones posted in posts and only ads at top of page, the ones for payware addons.

But no attachments or 'right column' images.

On the pc I use two adblockers. Haven't seen flightsimcon ads there either. I'm not using the pc much lately, but enough that I think I would have spotted them if they were on the page. I expect it's the adblocker stopping them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So who is going?

Nels, I made plans months ago, but not quickly enough to score a room at the airport's hotel. I'll be staying "off campus" a few miles away, but an easy commute!

I'll be leaving Thursday morning and staying about half-way there in Clarion, PA (and again on Monday night on the return trip).

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the folks I've only known "on screen" for the past many decades.

Any hams attending can give me a call on 146.52 MHz. I'll be monitoring!

73 de N4GIX

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

NGIS is a bit off topic here. Their sim is not far enough along in development to present anything yet. I have heard from them in recent months and as far as I know they are continuing their development.

Thanks for that update Nels.

If you are ever in touch with Stephen B and team, perhaps let them know that their website has been down for 2 weeks..with no notification about what's going on. Previously loyal supporters, well-wishers and potential customers of the Nexgen flight sim could well get hacked off at this rate ..even before the prototype Nexgen sim is even launched.

http://www.nexgenflightsim.com

http://www.facebook.com/NextGenerationInteractiveSoftware/

'

• Founder

On the pc I use two adblockers. Haven't seen flightsimcon ads there either. I'm not using the pc much lately, but enough that I think I would have spotted them if they were on the page. I expect it's the adblocker stopping them.

Well, yes I suppose if you run ad blockers you won't see ads. I don't quite get the use of ad blockers, some ads are actually interesting and useful.

The 5th edition of FlightSimCon (not to be confused with FlightSim.Com!) is only days away, so I'm surprised there's no talk about it here.

http://flightsimcon.com/

I've attended all but there very small first year and it's a great event. Last year well over 500 flightsimmers attended and it's had steady growth each year and this year has had to move to a larger venue.

So who is going?

I'll be flying into KBOS and then driving down to Windsor Locks on Friday. See ya there!

Bill Alderson

I'll be there both days. I've been to all except the first one, awesome event! Great to meet up with friends and make new ones. The program has been exciting every year, & getting better all the time. Nels, I look forward to seeing you and saying "hello" again!

Gene

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

Sounds like it was a lot of fun based on the exhibitioners. Is Connecticut where this convention is generally held each year? For me Vegas would be a lot closer as I live in the Fort Collins area of Colorado. They have DEFCON in Vegas, but I never been to one yet. I've always wanted to go, despite my not too savvy hacker skills. HAHA. I just watched the YouTube videos.

So far it's always been head at KBDL in Connecticut. They are considering holding it at a different location next time. I know that would make some people happy but would likely mean I could not go.

Nels, it was a genuine pleasure to finally meet you in person. I thoroughly enjoyed myself there, but am still recovering from the l o n g drive there and back from the Chicago area!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived