Lear 45 HSI question

I was just thinking about how I should learn to not depend on the FMC in aircraft that I use in the sim that have a FMC in case of failure. I want to practice FMC failures and I know this has something to do with timing and VORs. But I just thought of something. I've been flying in the default Lear 45 and I don't see an HSI. I also have looked at real world Lear 45 cockpit pictures and don't ever recall seeing an HSI either. The only basic gauges I see (for lack of the proper term) are altitude, speed, and the attitude indicator. So my question is, how do you nav from one fix to another in a Lear 45 without an HSI when your FMC isn't working?

Thanks!

Most fixes are intersections of VOR radials. You can tune these in your Nav1 and Nav2 and plot the intersecting position. Since this is quite the challenge, I just ask ATC for a route from VOR to VOR in these cases (simulated, not r/l).

Is that what you meant?

I fly Cessna's reallife and use VFR navigation. No FMC and VOR only as a double check of calculations. Mostly just landmarks like traintracks, highways and buildings. You could do that in any aircraft but you need clear vis with the ground.

Grtz., Hans

? The HSI is displayed just below the attitude indicator!

Yeah, that's in the PFD though, it's not a back up gauge like the altitude, air speed and attitude indicator.

What happens if you lose the PFD? Shouldn't there be an HSI like what a 737 has for example?

Most fixes are intersections of VOR radials. You can tune these in your Nav1 and Nav2 and plot the intersecting position. Since this is quite the challenge, I just ask ATC for a route from VOR to VOR in these cases (simulated, not r/l).

Is that what you meant?

I fly Cessna's reallife and use VFR navigation. No FMC and VOR only as a double check of calculations. Mostly just landmarks like traintracks, highways and buildings. You could do that in any aircraft but you need clear vis with the ground.

Grtz., Hans

Yeah. See when you use an FMC you should enter the VOR frequencies so that when the FMC goes down you can Nav with timing and the radials provided by the VORs. Very odd that the Lear doesn't have a HSI back up gauge. I'd be worried if the PFD goes out.

The 737 has the whole backup set: an RMI, but also a speedometer, altimeter and artificial horizon. All mechanically.

As for the Lear: I don't know it that well. But you could do without an HSI when you have a turn indicator. Maybe it's there? I'm quite sure there must be a backup RMI in the real thing though.

Grtz., Hans

As I wrote, the 737 does not have a backup HSI.

Airspeed indicator, altimeter and artificial horizon is a must.

No, there's no requirement for a backup RMI and if you look at RW Lear 45 cockpits, there isn't one either.

Btw, a turn indicator doesn't help with navigation ;)

What's this? RMI?

http://i.imgur.com/qQTP9tE.jpg

Archived