Here we go again...

KCD

I'm one week into trying to get my FS9 functioning the way I want it on my new Win7 Pro 64 machine. I know the machine itself is a lesser version of what most simmers are using, but it's the O.S. that seems to be causing my issues. everything I have read indicates I should not be having these issues, but I am!

You can read about my issues, if you choose, in other threads. What we have here is a brand new thread with new issues. I cannot proceed until this issue is resolved. This is a fresh install, done this morning after removing all vestiges of the prior install. As far as the MSFS disks and install program were concerned, this was a virgin install. For this install, I followed instructions provided by Mark (flyer8) who had gotten and collated them from Opa. Considering the source (Opa), I felt I was on solid ground for a change and proceeded to install; it went well.

Once installed, per the instructions, I installed the no CD patch. Then I attempted to install the 9.1 patch; it would not install! I deleted the file on the assumption that it had somehow become corrupted, and downloaded a new copy. That would not install either. I get an "Update type 34" error message when I try.

That's where I am, stuck on the way to first base. And I know (from past experience) that once over this hurdle, when I try to load Ultimate Terrain, it will mess things up for a fair thee well.

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong, then I would not have to ask for help. But I don't. As I said, I've been at this for one solid week with nothing to show for the effort. From what I read, I shouldn't be having these problems, but I am. Can anyone guide me through this awful process. Here is what I want to do...

1.) install FS9, patched to 9.1 and no CD.

2.) Install Ultimate Terrain of FS2004

3.) Install FSGenises for eastern US

4.) Install Ground Environment

All of these were in operation on my XP Pro machine that recently died. The new machine is a Dell Pentium G4400 @3.3 ghz w/4 GB RAM. Not great, but enough for me and FS9, I think.

Can anyone help me, please?

Mark is spot on.

Back in the days when Microsoft maintaned the site linked to from within FS, they specifically stated you should remove that patch before using the 9.1 upgrade. Sadly that site is long gone (as is the evidence that MS did not disapprove of such things, as some people like to think).

Personally, if you are starting again from scratch, I wouldn't install the patch until everything else is in place.

But there is another way, this is what I have done a couple of times to move from one computer to another:

1. Install FS9 from disc.
  2. (Optional) Upgrade to 9.1, and then take a zipped backup so that you have all the system files handy for emergencies
  3. Copy your entire installation from the old machine (or latest backup) into your new directory structure, over-writing when necessary

This will give you a properly installed FS complete with path in the registry, with your cherished add-ons exactly as they were. The only items that might not work immediately will be any add-on items that require you to re-register when on a different machine.

Hoping this helps,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Just installed FS9 on my Win 7 pro 64bit Machine. Works OK. (trying some FS9 aircraft in FSX)

1 - installed from factory CD's - would not run

2 - installed 9.1 upgrade - would not run

3 - rename original fs9.exe to fs9.orig (whatever extension you want)

4 - installed 9.1 fsx.exe nocd and it started working.

If you uninstall and try to re-install make sure you delete the fs9 install directory before re-installing. This has held me up in the past.

John C.

Thanks, guys. That hurdle has been overcome. We now have a clean copy of FS9, patched to 9.1 with the v9.1 NOCD. Now on th the next hurdle...

Yesterday, when I installed Ultimate Terrain to a different FS9 installation, the results were awful. No coast lines, just straight lines and angles outlining various land masses; I removed it and started over; obviously I did something terribly wrong.

Who can provide me with the proper next step in this installation. Remaaining are:

Ultimate Terrain for FS2004,

FSGenises for eastern US. and

Ground Environment,

not necessarily in that order. Please, someone advise me which is next and how to do it. Thanks...

when I installed Ultimate Terrain to a different FS9 installation, the results were awful. No coast lines, just straight lines and angles outlining various land masses

To fix this you need to open up the UT Setup Tool and reset everything to default, then reset it to the options you want.

This should fix the coastlines, etc.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Bean...

After reinstalling UT into my fresh FS9.1, properly patched install, I applied the suggestions you made in the post immediately above. FYI, No Go! Once UT is configured, and the sim is opening, it gets to a point after the initial scenery updating screens where the screen goes black and I get the following message...

MFSFS has stopped working

. Click on line for solution to problem

. Close program

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fs9.exe

Application Version: 9.1.0.40901

Application Timestamp: 4135a208

Fault Module Name: StackHash_fb8b

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: fb8b

Additional Information 2: fb8bd1bf7dcc44d047c58f37f56ad727

Additional Information 3: fa63

Additional Information 4: fa63c80ebf2b9d98cfa9fc211d9a92ad

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I don't know, or understand what any of that means, but I will await suggestions before I uninstall UT for the last time. I sure hope this can be fixed! If it can't, and I have to dump UT, what alternatives to UT are there that might make for a better FS9 presentation?

I have had similar problems on a number of occasions setting up new PC's for simming friends, each time its came down to the FS2004 disks. I read somewhere a long time ago that CD's only have a life of ten years, I was steered to a site by a friend but FS.com would prefer me not to mention it here. I downloaded a copy from there of FS2004 all disk installer for a DVD I used it ran straight though without prompting for disk 2 3 or 4 loaded and ran like a dream, and no more problems.

You will need to email me for more details

Howard

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (Sorry No Friends please)

Hey Klee,

Sorry these issues are creeping around, odd. Have you had the chance to look at the "Virtual Memory" configuration of your box. It's located by using one of the Win7 applets. Get to it by opening the "Run Dialog" from the start menu button and typing the following, and I usually make a shortcut link to it as well...

C:\Windows\System32\control.exe sysdm.cpl,,3

When the dialog comes up and under the "Performance" section of the "Advanced" tab, click on the settings button.

System Properties

SystemProperties.jpg

When the "Performance Options" dialog opens, please navigate to the "Advanced" tab. In the "Virtual Memory" section, there should be a message naming the "Total paging file size for all drives:" followed by a number. Mine is 12262 MB. Click on the "Change..." button.

Performance Options

PerformanceOptions.jpg

A third dialog should appear. You're now three dialogs deep!!!

This dialog is all about the "Virtual Memory" page file. It allow you to delete the current page file and then recreate it. The way to delete and recreate it is by setting the system to "No paging file" and the closing the dialog. Then and after closing it, reopen the dialog and use the "Recommended" size for the "Custom Size:" option.

If it was my system, I would delete the current "Virtual Memory" paging file and then recreate it. No big deal at all.

Virtual Memory

VirtualMemory.jpg

I mean, at least from what I've read, this could be about memory. Might be an illicit texture causing the sim to crash as well. Don't know for sure but I would start with the paging file first. I would also make sure that the large address aware bit is set on the FS9.exe. It helps a lot, at least from my experience.

Anyway, it's only a flag, which means you can run the NT-Core 4gb patch a thousand times if you like. It just keeps setting the flag bit to on in the FS9.exe file. No big deal and you could even use a Hex-Editor if you wanted.

4GB Patch

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

4gb_patch.jpg

Also, you might want to make sure the FS9 install doesn't have any crummy DXT textures hanging around. I always run DXTFixerX when installing anything with textures.

Typically, I select the root FS9 folder as the starting location and make sure that the "SCAN ONLY (no files will be altered)." checkbox selected. That will allow DXTFixerX to run and produce a list of DXT textures which can be backed-up before fixing them.

DXTFixerX FS9 and FSX (Peter Nyman)

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=183172

Can you imagine that one bad texture, out of many thousands of them, could crash your sim displaying a "StackHash_fb8b" memory error? Yuck...

DXTFixerX

DXTFixerX.jpg

Like David Lee Roth says..."Tell Us How You Do"...Used to see Van Halen in back yard parties in the Pasadena Area of L.A. They were called Mammoth back then and that's where I grew up!

Some stuff to try at least...Best Regards,

Mark

Another thing to try - right click your FS2004 icon on the Desktop and choose Properties. Then on the Compatibility tab check Disable Desktop Composition and Disable Visual Themes. If that doesn't work, try choosing Windows XP Compatibility Mode in the same window.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. Tried it last night, no better.

Mark, I appreciate all your help, I really do, but I'm just so beaten down at this point I've not tried your latest. I've removed UT completely and had to reinstall FS9 three times from the back-up you suggested. I've even had problems installing ground environment (which I have uninstalled, and I was very surprised when I loaded FSGemesis (Freeware) and noticed no difference! This is weird; I do not know what the problem is, but boy do I yearn for my trusty old reliable XP Pro!

I'm beginning to think that I had better find a more modern solution to my scenery issues, one compatible with Win 7. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears! How about Birds Eye View, or Sasha's program?

Klee,

Sounds like you need to take a breather. For my part, I simply do an install and things seem to work. But then again, I do the Windows install as well. No one does it for me and in that way, I know what has been done to the system. Win7x64 Pro SP1 is what I'm up to.

I don't allow Windows Update to run so there has never been software pushed to my system. I can't help but wonder what's been pushed to your box.

I suppose when you get your second wind, you can have a look at the control panel, the place where it shows the software installation history of your box. That would mean the service packs and updates, etc...

Then, have a look at the current FS9 Scenery.cfg file and the FS9.cfg file. I wouldn't worry to much as I'm certain you'll get to a comfort zone soon.

Mark

I get the same stackhash error due to clashes between some scenery bgl files. It seems after you installed GePro and UT, perhaps some LC files, something didn't gel for some reason.

I've always had issues with VOZ and other textures I've installed. Painstakingly finding and removing some scenery files fixes it.

But that doesn't explain why it's not working now if it did before. Unless you've added something extra.

I've been lurking this thread watching your problems and I am confounded. I have Win 7 Pro 64 in two installations and I have FS9/Genesis/GE Pro/UT2/UT/ASE and I had no problem installing or running. Smooth as silk. I do not however use the NOCD patch. I went out and bought up two extra copies of FS9 to be sure I'd have extras.

I will offer a couple of comments though.

1. As one of the posters mentioned, I have Win update shut off on both my machines. I do not update at all. I believe once something is working well the only way it can evolve is bad. My machines are on the internet only seconds to download the day's weather or to install something needing a connection. I would suggest you look at your Win 7 update history and considering rolling back to a state to be determined.

2. FS Genesis, as you know, is a mesh so the differences are subtle and noticeable to me (maybe) in mountainous regions.

3. I have never had any issues with GE Pro or the other scenery titles. Only gripe on GE Pro is all the choices on textures. Too many things to do:)

4. My recommendation tracks what several guys have said. Uninstall everything to do with FS9, including FS9, including allsceneries, add ons, and really scrub all the files and folders out. Then I would go attack the Win 7 update issue. I believe my Win 7 installations are OEM in the machines 2013, and 2015. So whatever version was offered as OEM is what I have. The first thing I do with a new Windows install is turn off updates. If you need more information, PM me. From there I would go for a straight stick FS 9 install. I don't try to do anything exotic in the install. Mine have gone smooth with no tips and tricks. Just installthe CDs. Forget the patch for now and try out FS9 for a bit and be sure everything is working correctly. Then I would install the sceneries and add ons in this order: FSGenesis/GE Pro/UT/UT2. After each individual install I would launch FS9 and fly around a bit to be sure everything is working OK.

I'm not sure I'm helping but thisis my best!!

Richard... For your information, I'm working with a new, out of the box Dell; it has not been updated since I got it, updates were turned off as soon as it was plugged in. If win 7 was updated at all, it was done by Dell before they packaged it up to sell.

Additionally, the FS9 installs have all been straight off the disks. I loaded it up, flew around (all was OK), then I loaded the 9.1 No CD patch. That screwed up the 9.1 patch install, so I uninstalled the whole works and started over. This time, after flying FS9, I added the 9.1 patches in proper order, flew to check things out, all OK.

Per Marks suggestion, I then backed up the entire FS9 file in a quiet folder tucked away on a separate hard drive. Then I added UT, and FS9 wouldn't load! Uninstall UT, FS9 OK. Reinstall UT, checked the files, all looked OK, booted the sim, crash half way through the boot! UT gone! Problem is without UT (or a viable substitute) the coast lines in the area I fly (New England) are awful. If I didn't know the area it would be fine, I could get by, but FS9's coast lines suck and because of that reliable VFR also sucks.

Mark is right, I've done a burn-out. I have no confidence that UT will ever work, so I'm now looking hard for alternatives. I have just downloaded TRW2017, we'll try that next (comments please). If that fails, I'll give Birds Eye View (USA) a shot, and failing that, I'll go to Sasha's program. Would love any comments about each and any of these, as well as any others I should consider, sooner rather than later, I'm afraid I won't remember how to land it's been so long!

If and when I decide that I've exhausted every potential alternative, I'll open a new thread and try UT once again, but at this point I truly hope I find an adequate substitute; if I never see UT again it would not bother me a bit!.

Just in case there is a need to grab original files from the CDRoms...

FS9 Disk-Directory

disk-directory.gif

I don't remember if I got the image from another post or from a download. Don't want to step on anyone's copyright. If the image is removed by the admins and if posssible, post the location where it can be reaquired!

All the Best,

Mark

Mark,

That file is from Jim Robinson's web site. I've seen it before. I doubt he'd mind your pointing to it under the circumstances. Thanks for your help. I've heard nothing about possible alternatives to UT. I have found BEV at the Pilot Shop, but it might be a fake offering as I've heard it went out of business years ago. I guess I'll add FreeFlow New England and the FSGenesis freeware for the region and some of Holger's stuff out west and call it a day.

I read you, looking for alternate UT stuff. OK, I use UT USA along with UT Alaska Canda with no problems. I also use GEPro with no issues either. At least that I've detected so far.

Your begining to sound on-top again and that's good to read. Stay with us as I think that the help that's now being provided might be a bit more succinct.

The followng code blocks are for the sake of posterity as it might help to clear the list of things that aren't issues any more.

Scenery.cfg

And in case you need a clean Scenery.cfg file to use or to match to what you currently have in place...

Maybe verify that the current [General] and [Area.001] sections are identicle to the same sections in the following code block...Really important is the Texture_ID=1 line in [Area.001].

[General]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Description=FS9 Scenery Data
Clean_on_Exit=FALSE

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Local=Scenery\World
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Texture_ID=1
Layer=1

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\BASE
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=2

[Area.003]
Title=Africa
Local=Scenery\Afri
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=3

[Area.004]
Title=Asia
Local=Scenery\Asia
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=4

[Area.005]
Title=Australia
Local=Scenery\Aust
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=5

[Area.006]
Title=Eastern Europe
Local=Scenery\EURE
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=6

[Area.007]
Title=Western Europe
Local=Scenery\EURW
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=7

[Area.008]
Title=Central North America
Local=Scenery\NAMC
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=8

[Area.009]
Title=Eastern North America
Local=Scenery\NAME
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=9

[Area.010]
Title=Western North America
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=10

[Area.011]
Title=Oceania
Local=Scenery\Ocen
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=11

[Area.012]
Title=South America
Local=Scenery\Same
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=12

[Area.013]
Title=Amsterdam Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Amsterd
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=13

[Area.014]
Title=Anchorage Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Anchor
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=14

[Area.015]
Title=Atlanta Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Atlanta
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=15

[Area.016]
Title=Chicago Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Chicago
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=16

[Area.017]
Title=Dallas Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Dallas
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=17

[Area.018]
Title=Denver Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Denver
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=18

[Area.019]
Title=Heathrow Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Heathrow
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=19

[Area.020]
Title=Hong Kong Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Hongkong
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=20

[Area.021]
Title=Kitty Hawk Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Kittyhwk
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=21

[Area.022]
Title=Las Vegas Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Lasvegas
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=22

[Area.023]
Title=Los Angeles Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\La
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=23

[Area.024]
Title=Miami Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Miami
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=24

[Area.025]
Title=New York Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\NewYork
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=25

[Area.026]
Title=Niagara Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Niagara
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=26

[Area.027]
Title=Oshkosh Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Oshkosh
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=27

[Area.028]
Title=Paris Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Paris
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=28

[Area.029]
Title=Phoenix Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Phoenix
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=29

[Area.030]
Title=San Francisco Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Sanfran
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=30

[Area.031]
Title=Seattle Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Seattle
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=31

[Area.032]
Title=St. Maarten Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Stmaarten
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=32

[Area.033]
Title=Sydney Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Sydney
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=33

[Area.034]
Title=Tokyo Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Tokyo
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=34

[Area.035]
Title=Generic Libraries
Local=Scenery\Generic
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=35

[Area.036]
Title=Vehicle Libraries
Local=Scenery\Vehicles
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=36

[Area.037]
Title=Propeller Objects
Local=Scenery\props
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Layer=37

[Area.038]
Title=Addon Scenery
Local=Addon Scenery
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=38

ModVer.vbs

I have not seen a heads-up that all of the FS9 Modules have been properly patched. It doesn't mean that they aren't or it hasn't been written yet, just that I may have missed it.

In case a listing of the FS9 Modules and their file versions is required, the following code block can provide it. The output can be matched to the table at the end of this post.

Also, this VBScript file could then simply be left in the modules folder for ever. In that way, anytime a listing of dlls and their version is required...just thinking out loud again.

'1 Create a file named ModVer.vbs
'2 Copy the contents of this post into the file
'3 Save the ModVer.vbs to your C:\FS9\Modules folder
'4 Open a command prompt
'5 Navigate to the C:\FS9\Modules folder
'6 Type cscript ModVer.vbs
'7 A list of all of the FS9 module versions along with their names will appear

Option Explicit

Dim FileSystem
Dim Folder
Dim File

Set FileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set Folder = FileSystem.GetFolder(".")

For Each File In Folder.Files
   If LCase(FileSystem.GetExtensionName(File)) = "dll" then
       WScript.Echo FileSystem.GetFileVersion(File) & "  " & File.Name
   End if
Next

Default Modules Folder

My FS9 SP1 Modules folder list, along with the correct versions.

C:\FS9\Modules
SuccessVer ModuleName
9.1.0.40901 ABLSCPT.DLL
9.1.0.40901 ACONTAIN.DLL
9.1.0.40901 AI_PLAYR.DLL
9.1.0.40901 ATC.DLL
9.1.0.40901 CONTROLS.DLL
9.1.0.40901 DEMO.DLL
9.1.0.40901 DYNAMIC.DLL
9.1.0.40901 FACILITIES.DLL
9.1.0.40901 FE.DLL
9.1.0.40901 FLIGHT.DLL
9.1.0.40901 FSUI.DLL
9.1.0.40901 G2D.DLL
9.1.0.40901 G3D.DLL
9.1.0.40901 GLOBAL.DLL
9.1.0.40901 gps.DLL
9.1.0.40901 gps_export.dll
9.1.0.40901 INSTRUCTOR.DLL
9.1.0.40901 MAIN.DLL
9.1.0.40901 mpchat.DLL
9.1.0.40901 MULTIPLAYER.DLL
9.1.0.40901 PANELS.DLL
9.1.0.40901 REALITY.DLL
9.1.0.40901 SIM1.dll
9.1.0.40901 SimScheduler.DLL
9.1.0.40901 SOUND.DLL
9.1.0.40901 SYMMAP.DLL
9.1.0.40901 TERRAIN.DLL
9.1.0.40901 Traffic.DLL
9.1.0.40901 UTIL.DLL
9.1.0.40901 VISUALFX.DLL
9.1.0.40901 Weather.DLL
9.1.0.40901 WINDOW.DLL

We'll figure this out Klee and by we, I mean all that are both trying to help and inadvertently, slow things down like me!

Mark

One thing you can check...make sure you have no files in the windows "virtual store".

You can google how to check this.

I'm sorry, but I'm not technically oriented. Mark has stretched the limits of my abulity with very succinct instructions... I don't have a clue what you're talking about or even what to google!

Mark,

I'm afraid you're loosing me. I'm at the limits of my ability! I'm the type that buys a product, loads it per the instructions, and EXPECTS it to work properly; I'm not the type who wants to spend hours, weeks, months trouble shooting. I don't "overclock", or any of that nerdy stuff; I wouldn't know how. I play by the rules and expect providers to do the same. This seems to me to be a major plot by MS (and their cronies) to move people away from software products they have used for years, forcing replacement product on them. I can see no reason to be having this kind of difficulty, but I'll tell you this, I'm considering buying and installing a second HD, loading XP on it and starting over again. I just cannot figure how to get the machine to recognize which HD I want it to boot from yet.

Did it work fine BEFORE you installed UT?

So FS9 runs ok default?

It runs ok when you add some aircraft - payware / freeware?

It runs ok when you've added GePro?

But it DOESNT run when you've added UT?

That's what you need to check. Because as I said before, the only time I see appcrash's like yours, and stachhash errors is an issue between some - that's some - scenery bgl, landclass, texture files. And 100% every time it's involved VOZ and new textures I've added.

So it tells me UT is doing something similar for some reason.

Archived