Firefox saved password facility gone.

ColR1948

After a few recent updates to Firefox, I have lost the facility to save any passwords, luckily I have then written down but I go on lots of sites and it has now become a pain having to keep looking up what password is needed plus even going in my email and having to keep typing in user and password.

I have looked online and a lot more are complaining about the facility has gone, I have tried a few addon/plugins but for some reason they don't seem to work, the original popup asking if you wanted to save the login was great, just answer yes or no and that was it.

I have been using Chrome because as yet that saves your passwords but I like FF, does anyone know of a easy addon for it like the old popup facility?

Col.

Hi Col,

Is these a FF related issue - by that I mean have they dropped support for such plugins. If that is the case then you might not be able to use a replacement manager.

However, two good freeware password manager I can recommend are

Norton Identity Safe - there is a freeware version of the tool that is integrated into their Internt Security suites - I currently use it as I have NIS as my AV suite.

LastPass - a tool that I have used in the past. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that you need to download a specific plugin version for the browser in use.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian, I found one called Roboform, I installed the free version first to try it, the paid version is £6 something, anyway it works like the old password popup manager, type in your password then you get a popup asking if you want to save or not.

Also if I decide to buy I can use it on more than 1 PC so no paying again for another install.

Firefox is going to hell in a hand basket. I used FF right after I had used the Mozilla browser. But now I dropped it since it changed radically trying to become Chrome's cousin. I now use Pale Moon. I have been using an addon called PWDhash. Check that out. All you do is remember one long password and that is it. Each password is unique based on the URL.

I don't recommend anything that saves passwords or saves them in the "cloud." That is rife with hacking potential. For my other passwords and what have you I use Keepass. I back up the database to multiple sources including a DVD/RW disk and store that in my fire proof safe. There is also a Keepass App.

Do use Two factor Auth if available. Most of my logins use 2FA. When I don't have my smartphone handy I just use Team Viewer with the Team Viewer App on my phone to grab the 2FA code.

Lastpass is an excellent free plug in for saving your passwords, and its encrypted so even if the file was compromised it cannot be hacked. The issue with Firefox's native password save feature is that it saved them in plain text in a directory.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the latest Firefox, 5.0.3 version. It still offers me to save passwords, just like it always did.

And it remembers them too.

It's all working just fine.

And if I click yes when it asks, then after browsing I do: Logoff, close FF, CCleaner, shutdown, restart, open FF. I then go to the same site and simply clicking in the "username" box makes my username appear. Clicking the password box give me the password, and login works.

So it remembers it correctly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was going over some of my old post's at my own forum and forgot about this gem. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/browser-autofill-profiles-can-be-abused-for-phishing-attacks/

Better off using PWDhash or Keepass. I've used PWDHash for well over 9 years now if I'm not mistaken.

After installing Roboform my thoughts:

Sometimes it doesn't work! I can click on a website that I have the password saved for and it lets me in as a member no problem.

Go to another and it does nothing, I try again, nothing, so I end up looking in my little book where all my passwords are kept and typing it in, bit of a pain.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I decided to sack Roboform and had the idea of downloading an older version of Firefox and that worked, I now have the facility to save my passwords again, when I get the reminder to upgrade I select 'Ask Me Later'

That's strange il88pp, I forget wich version of FF I updated but after that the saved password went, since then I have updated a few times but it never returned.

That is why I ended up looking for an addon to do it, but like I said above I downgraded my FF to get it back.

Archived