Virtual Aviators - Anyone Experienced?

Elvensmith

Well I managed to join but on reading the pilot manual (not publicly available before signing up) sadly realised probably not for me. Despite advertising a relaxed approach, no use of time acceleration on flights less than two hours and no substituting jets on prop routes, to try and get the flight done in the time available for gaming.

Haven't done my initial flight and probably won't be able to prior to the deadline due to work commitments. Not that bothered as a VA where the only flights I could do are short hops from the Isle of Man or Northern Ireland to the UK mainland in a Dash 8, not my cup of tea.

Vern.

Manuals do take time and effort to make and for the more realistic VAs represents a large investment of research and time making them. I know this makes finding that perfect VA a little harder for members, but I understand the VAs that don't want their manuals available to everyone.

Would be nice if the VA registries (VACentral and VATSIM) would offer more than a few lines to describe a VA. Searchable ratings of requirements would be helpful to some.

I would also remark if you find a VA is not for you, then resign. VA management will spend time and energy on new members, even if it is form letters, if you find the VA is not a match for you then please save everyone some time and send a quick letter resigning.

It can also be hard to discern from the descriptions here whether they are any good, though there are clues - non domain websites, multiple threads spamming the same VA, poor grammar and spelling kind of indicates it may be well intentioned but sadly rather out of their depth.

If only our flight sims had worthwhile mission editors or something akin to FS Passengers (with the ability to save a flight in progress) there would be less reliance on trying to find a VA to add that little extra spice.

The one I was a member of for a while and quite enjoyed was based out of South America. Quite laid back, will have to see if I can remember who they were and rejoin.

Edit: And yes I used their contact details to tender my resignation, but as a previous message about the lack of a link to their forum pilots were expected to join went unanswered, I will wait to see if I get a reply.

Oh and the VA I remember having a bit of fun with, was TooMuchFS though not sure if that exists anymore.

Vern.

Archived