Is FSW dead all ready?

Guest lavochkin

Guest lavochkin

What I mean is no fsuipc in 64 bit, no simconnect.dll in 64 bit. Nothing is able to connect FSW. No weather, no acars, no fspassenger, no fs comander, no nothing.

Will prepar3d meet the same fate when it goes 64 bit?

The only 64 bit flight simulator moving forward is xplane. It has an xfsuipc that will work with 64 bit.

Will someone please tell me FSW ain't dead all ready!!!!:confused:

DTG visited Aerosoft a few weeks before the pre-release of FSW.

A visit that did not lead to anything fruitful. Apparently DTG could not even promise if and when an SDK would be released.

Without serious 3rd party support FSW is as dead as a doornail.

Guys, un-bunch your panties and wait until it's out of Beta. Or better still, suggest these things to DTG - that's what they released this Beta version for, remember? :confused:

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Maybe someone should explain exactly what early access/beta means?

We know, or should, as we have been told, that there is no fsuipc. Obviously, the developers of the programs that you are 'moaning' about, have not done any developing for FSW, & maybe will not?

You must remember, as well, that DTG has said there is no compatibility with older sims, so you MUST regard FSW as a completely new sim, NOT an update or upgrade of anything else!.

YOU should also be aware that DTG is releasing an update for FSW. An amazing feat, as the sim is only a week old.

Also remember that this is, as DTG has called it, a 'for entertainment' product, & cannot be compared to a 'not for entertainment' market. (but that's another story!)

Also, if you are so upset, claim your refund.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

FSW has both a 32bit and a 64 bit SimConnect.dll. One you will find in the x86 subfolder and the other in the main simulator directory.

But the API has changed, so a developer has to use new SimConnect libraries to compile his addons specifically for FSW - when those libraries are released. Currently someone could use those DLLs to hack his way into the sim, but that would be a severe breach of the licensing agreement. When it comes to functionality, the new SimConnect has been expanded compared to the previous versions, it has a few completely new procedures to call - and they are very different from P3D too by the way, there will not be any compatibility in those areas between both simulators.

DTG have stated clearly, that only registered/licensed developers will get the SDK, if and when they contact the DTG third party group. But a Steam Workshop implementation is under way too, for "user generated content".

In the main simulator directory there also is the EULA - well worth reading, especially the chapters 10, 11 and 16. The highlights: all altering of and tinkering with the sim is prohibited. All user generated content (=addons) are automatically licensed to DTG and they are free to do with it whatever they want, even sell it as their own. As a developer you are obliged to not develop your addons for any other platform at the same time, and you have to add a disclaimer that holds DTG free of any harm that your program may cause. Needless to say that the Steam client is the perfect platform to enforce these rules. Every update could simply overwrite and negate anything that you did to the simulator, be it tweaks or addons.

Guest lavochkin

That is what I thought. I will give FSW a year. See what prepar3d does. X-Plane continues to move forward. Right now x-plane is the sim of the future. But for now I will stick to fs2004 and let everything play out.

A refund is not an option for me. 25 bucks is pocket change compared to the money I have wasted on flight sims.

What use is it to tell us? Tell DTG, like they asked you to when you bought FSW! :rolleyes:

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

"Sim of the future" in relative terms. The X-Plane API is a lot less capable than SimConnect, and unless LR invests one full version update only for expanding the API instead of the visuals, a developer has a very hard time to create anything "outside of the box" for XP. It is either completely impossible or at the very least a massive effort - a lot more than making the same addon for SimConnect (=programmatic stuff, like external tools, sophisticated aircraft systems, ATC and weather addons etc.)

"Sim of the future" in relative terms. The X-Plane API is a lot less capable than SimConnect, and unless LR invests one full version update only for expanding the API instead of the visuals, a developer has a very hard time to create anything "outside of the box" for XP. It is either completely impossible or at the very least a massive effort - a lot more than making the same addon for SimConnect (=programmatic stuff, like external tools, sophisticated aircraft systems, ATC and weather addons etc.)

You can also push this connectivity thing too far. Problem with FSX + add-ons today is that in some cases it's 90% add-ons running on top of a Steam engine (no pun intended).

Maybe someone should explain exactly what early access/beta means?

YOU should also be aware that DTG is releasing an update for FSW. An amazing feat, as the sim is only a week old.

Also remember that this is, as DTG has called it, a 'for entertainment' product, & cannot be compared to a 'not for entertainment' market. (but that's another story!)

Also, if you are so upset, claim your refund.

Well there's varying degrees of early access. What's still missing from DTG is a road map for development, what's set in stone and the areas they will be making changes.

I hardly see the release of an update as an "amazing feat", this may well already have been known about and stage managed to get the "wow" factor going and is no more or less than one would expect for an ongoing piece of early access software.

I do agree re the "Not for Entertainment" product though. Would just need a certain publisher to insist on documented evidence of entitlement to burst quite a few bubbles.

I will continue to watch FSW evolve from the sidelines and at this stage see no real evidence to reverse my decision to refund.

Vern.

Use your refund for this....

Lockheed Martin is proud to announce that the next generation of simulation and training will start on May 30, 2017 with the public release of Prepar3D v4. The release culminates over eight years of Lockheed Martin development and welcomes major enhancements and new capabilities.

Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D v4 – available May 30, 2017

Prepar3D v4 completely changes the simulation landscape with a comprehensive baseline update to a 64-bit architecture. Higher resolution visuals, more objects, increased data precision, larger scenarios, and improved performance are now all possible at levels never seen before in the product’s history. The sky’s not the limit!

Additionally, the release brings dynamic lighting, rain/snow particles, global 3D trees, a fully reworked software development kit (SDK), new default vehicles, and countless improvements.

More details will be released over the next week with Prepar3D v4 being directly available from Prepar3D.com on May 30, 2017 at 2:00pm EST.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I do agree re the "Not for Entertainment" product though. Would just need a certain publisher to insist on documented evidence of entitlement to burst quite a few bubbles.

I think it's very likely that certain publisher is collecting a royalty off every copy of P3D sold so I doubt they'd do anything to disrupt that stream of essentially effortless revenue.

Guest lavochkin
I think it's very likely that certain publisher is collecting a royalty off every copy of P3D sold so I doubt they'd do anything to disrupt that stream of essentially effortless revenue.

Jim, I agree. thank-you.

Archived