Piper Cherokee 180

Nels_Anderson

• Founder

So, what planes have you been flying? I did some of the lessons with the Super Cub but found it unstable and difficult to fly. So the Cherokee 180 was my next choice since it's also featured in the lessons, and since I have over 1400 hours in the real world flying the Piper Archer which is pretty much the same plane.

The real world Cherokee family is very stable and pretty easy to fly. The FSW version? I don't think so. It seems to be just as unstable as the Super Cub and frankly rather difficult to fly. I've only managed to land it about half the times I've tried, and none of those landings were anything I would be proud of. Near the ground I find it rocking back and forth and any tiny movement of the stick seems to be too much.

I played around with control settings without success.

So, out of ideas I decided to try a different plane. The DA40 seemed like a reasonable choice. In the real world I have all of 2 hours and 1 landing in a DA40 so I'm not exactly familiar with it. I don't remember the speeds, throttle settings, etc. like I do with the Cherokee so I'm flying it be feel.

Went to KHFD for some touch and goes. The first landing was OK, the second was practically a squeaker and the third and fourth were also very satisfying...smooth and under control. A completely different experience from the Cherokee 180.

So, is it just me or are others finding 180 way too difficult to fly?

• Founder

I never used Flight School so not familiar with what it included. Given that the Cherokee 180 plays such a prominent roll in the lessons system they really need to get it to fly right.

Thanks for the info on the airspeed indicator, that does explain a lot.

Nearly half the aircraft I tried can't even accelerate down the runway in a straight line. I'm not talking a slight pull to the left but a grappling the stick to hold it steady. Let go for even a second and you're doing cartwheels.

As I just posted at Avsim, this isn't a problem in FS9 or FSX. Either something is wrong or they've overdone the realism by a factor of about 10. I kid you not, what with this and the complex autopilot systems I can't see flight sim beginners (who are presumably a main part of the target audience) lasting long with this if you can't achieve a smooth take off.

Vern.

Well I've configured the joystick several times and as noted not an issue in FS9, X-Rebirth etc.

The only thing I can possibly think of is a conflict with the Xbox 360 pad which is also plugged in. I already noted despite the Thrustmaster being selected as the primary flight device, when I crash FSW is sending the force feedback "rattle" to the pad. When I test later on I'll temporarily unplug the pad and see how it rocks.

Edit: Well I pulled the joypad out the PC, but still getting excessive pull to the left going down the runway. Which of the realism sliders do you reckon might affect this? (I was thinking gyro). I'm assuming all the way to the left turns the feature off. Might try that next.

Vern.

The "miles per hour" on the airspeed indicator is actually correct. Nearly all 180's and in fact nearly all PA-28s built prior to the mid 1970's used statute miles for airspeed. Nautical miles did not become standard until the Warrior/Archer/Dakota lines replaced the Cherokee 140/150/160/180 and 235 lines.

• Founder

I'm getting better with the Cherokee but still find myself rocking back and forth all too often. Especially on landing this is problematic.

One thing I found that helped me was setting the null zone to zero in the joystick settings. But I still wish I could set the sensitivity lower than the current minimum. The controls just seem too touchy.

• 7 months later...

Vern, when I have that problem I know it as wheelbarrowing as I have experienced it in real life in a 172. A little up trim takes the weight off the front wheel and smooths out the tracking on take off.IMHO

Jeff

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8Gb

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say this is my two cents, but Canada doesn't have cents anymore, so I guess this is my nickel.

I just downloaded FSW and have only tried a few flights with the Super Cub and Piper Cherokee.

So far I have no issues with control. I have realism set to hard and generally find the feel to be similar to FSX. I have had no problems with takeoffs, landings or general control. I am using a Saitek X52 stick and Saitek Rudder Pedals. Sensitivity and null zones are at default values.

My overall impression so far is quite favorable. Everything looks good. The sim runs in the 60-70 fps range with all settings near max. Textures are crisp and flicker-free even when looking around or panning quickly.

One thing that caught me by surprise was during a less than glass smooth landing the sunshades fell down with the landing bump! That gives an unusual sense of reality. :) -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Archived