Does FSW have better standard scenery than FSX or X-Plane?

timhomer2015

I prefer XP11 default scenery, but that is a matter of taste.

And you can combine XP11 scenery with photoreal scenery, mostly for free, but that does require some work.

If photoreal scenery out-of-the-box is your thing, your best choice would most likely be Aerofly FS 2, but ... at the moment limited to a few areas.

Which has the best scenery pre-installed (no addons)? Are there any flight simulators with real-world photoscenery pre-installed?

When it comes to default scenery, I'd have to say X-Plane 11. In saying that, it is important to remember that FSW is still in early development, so things may change.

In my opinion X-Plane 11 has better mesh, landclass and autogen (uses OpenStreetMap and is continuously updated).

As mentioned though; AeroFly has fantastic photo-scenery, albeit in a very small area.

All of the above are highly enjoyable simulators in their own right!

Dominic

It does look better than vanilla FSX or FS9 but land class is a bit dodgy. Flying over the north east of Scotland "flow" country which should be dun coloured moorland seemed to be just field pattern.

Having lived in Scotland during my childhood I'd have to agree with you on that :-)

Default ground textures could do with an improvement. However...when using HD Mesh v3 there is a considerable improvement.

Dominic

I do not care for the Orbx textures, but it looks like people are already adding photoscenery to FSW which looks very nice.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

And if Scotland was disappointing, check out the Grand Canyon. Awful. Same low res terrain and awful bleached textures - I honestly thought I had gone back in time to 1997 and in fact that view probably an insult to some of the 3DFX based sims of the time.

One of the first things many people buying this product are going to want to do is check out iconic world locations. Not expecting every rock or gully to be accurately depicted but IMHO the whole system of drawing and rendering rocky formations and mountains needs to be over-hauled. Triangular or meringue shaped mountains might have been acceptable 15 years ago, but not in a so called "next gen" sim, initially at least selling itself on the GA experience.

Vern.

• 4 months later...
I think the scenery is really improved over previous maturations, however I really wish they had not dropped the slew function. We have lost addons from people like Flight1 and Aerosoft that really need to come back at some point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Guest lavochkin
FSW has a long way to go. I am excited to see the final product. I bought it and have set on off the side to see where is goes. I did not like the scenery, but I used the sim when it first come out for 5 hours and have not used it since. Waiting.

• 2 months later...
I feel XPlane 11 is the leader here when it comes to this. Its scenery looks just fantastic right out of the box. Its so good that Im not even going to bother with any 3rd party stuff. To get my FSX looking that good I had to get the Orbx global addon.

Can you give me a screen shot of the Detroit city skyline please?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Archived