I've been wondering thru the years...

I have been playing all MS Flight Sim's since about when they first came out. And have always been wondering - WHY, at an altitude of at n over 10kft - jet aircraft will NOT fly much over 100-250kts. I find this a bit of a problem, since I know most, if not all civilian passenger aircraft fly around 400-550kts @ alt ~30k - n up.

Could someone please shed some light on this please!

Thanx

If you are flying in RL on a commercial jet and either the captain announces the speed or it's displayed on a screen in the passenger compartment, that will be the ground speed. I just did a flight in my POSKY 737 at AFL360 ground speed was 459 knots while indicated speed was around 249 knots.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have been playing all MS Flight Sim's since about when they first came out. And have always been wondering - WHY, at an altitude of at n over 10kft - jet aircraft will NOT fly much over 100-250kts. I find this a bit of a problem, since I know most, if not all civilian passenger aircraft fly around 400-550kts @ alt ~30k - n up.

Could someone please shed some light on this please!

Thanx

Down the list, under Real World Aviation, the Real World Tutorials & FAQ section has a lot of information that might interest you, perhaps answer a number of questions you have such as this.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I decide what's useful.

Cheers,

What's useful for you? True.

But the original statement was in regard to aircraft performance, not to any other factors. It would be interesting to see how you find GS useful in respect to aircraft performance (not to travel time, just to the way an aircraft performs).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived