Microsoft Does It Again

Art_P

The latest Windows 10 update has eliminated FSX from the start menu on my computer, and I can't find a way to put it back. The start menu box includes guberish instead of "fsx" and the icon, and it does nothing when clicked-on. FSX is not included under Microsoft Games on the program list, so that may be what caused the problem. I can start FSX from icons placed on the taskbar and the desktop or by double-clicking the fsx.exe file. The desktop icon looks like this: fsx_shortcut.JPG Pin to start from the desktop icon results in the same box with giberish. I tried a repair from the DVD, but it just locked up while "installing files".

Options: Go to restore point before Windows 10 update, restore from disk image, reinstall FSX from disk, any others?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Guberish?

Google and Youtube can show you how to manage Windows 10 Start Menu items. But you really ought to consider Classic Shell or one of the other good, reliable, free desktop alternatives to the awkward "Metro" Win10 interface and it's Start Menu thing. It blows, always has, a real time waster, as you are finding out. Why abandon all the experience and training we've had for 22 years with the Windows Desktop? An alternative gui can restore that familiar desktop and start menu.

Goober_Main_2014.png

I'm not going to debate that OS, but I know from the countless forums I've been on numbers of people have had issues. Especially with the constant updates.

What gets me is that people claim to hate the NSA and the spying yet are going to defend 10 till the death.

Won't see me use it anytime soon. Will stick with 7. And if I do I'm throwing Pfsense in my network and blocking their ASN's. But that's just me. Do what ever you like. I don't care.

I never had any problem with Windows 10 to be honest. In my experience it's fast, stable and I personally love the interface once you know what it's doing.

And I'm totally not blocking ASN...I hate default weather. [emoji16]

Grtz., Hans

Dito. I'm running it in desktop mode instead of tablet-mode. It's an option given by MS btw, so there is no problem at all as far as I'm concerned.

In fact...I like the functionality of the W10 start menu better than the other windows versions.

Grtz., Hans

Does anyone know what the blue-yellow shield means on the desktop icon?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

It means that the program will run in Administrator mode.

Yeah, dumb question. I need to just quit worrying about the issue and start FSX from the desktop icon, or I have a favorite key assigned to it on the keyboard anyway. Just like to gripe about Microsoft updates and stir up feelings of others (apparently).

I will not join the dissenters of Windows 10, as it runs extremely fast and smooth on my computer. I realize my installation of FSX is not in line with recommendations of the community, but after adjusting (including running as administrator) to some anomaiies, it's doing fine.

I've seen this debate lots of times on forums as CRJ_simpilot says above, my Grandson runs FSX no problem with 10 and he likes it, I myself hate it.

I had it one PC and took it off and put 7 on, I now have 2 PC's and a laptop and all three are running on 7.

There are lots of posts on forums of people having problems with 10 and lots of posts of people not having problems with it, so what causes it if someone can run FSX and not have a problem and the next person has issues?

All I can think is the way it is setup and or other programs perhaps have something that throws FSX out of sync, as you know no two PC's are the same.

Like lots of other people post a problem question and the reply might be: "Did you tick this box or disable the so and so first" etc.

Archived