More on the new FS9 install to Win 7...

KCD

This is a new install of FS9.1 to a new win 7 pro 64 computer. It was not an easy beast to find, but I got one! I loaded FS9 to C:\FS9, then applied the 9.1 patch and finally the no CD patch. I can get it to run, but we are not without issues. I hope there might be some here that can assist me in getting this install squared away so that I can begin the process of slowly, one-by-one, adding my myriad add on elements.

Problem 1.) The no CD patch iis not recognized until after it asks for the CD. It will work, but the extra steps needed are annoying.

Problem 2.) As FS9 boots, I receive an error message... "SCENERY CFG file error. Remote scenery directory (Scenery\World CAB\SCENERY) in Scenery area 001 not found. Check OK to continue." This message repeats a total of 23 times, leading me to believe Win 7 does not like much of the FS9 scenery and has not loaded it.

FYI, the install was a full install, the only difference was the C:\FS9 location. Anybody have any ideas? I have done one quick flight and the lack od scenery is obvious in spite of all the sliders being maxed.

It sounds like you didn't launch and run FS9.0 before applying the FS9.1 update, this step is essential because that's when FS2004 builds it's global scenery database. Unfortunately the quickest fix is to uninstall FS2004 and re-install it again.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

New issue... I followed Tim's instructions and uninstalled FS9.1 so that I could reinstall 9.0 and run the program so that it can build it's global scenery database. Now that I've got the program reinstalled as FS9.0, it will not run in win 7 pro 64. It continually requests that I sign on as an administrator. I already am so signed on. Don't know what to do now, any ideas?

Did you just take out the FS9.1 and leave the rest of the program still in or did you uninstall everything?

Also FS9 if you already know then forgive me, works better if you don't install in in program Files (x86) put it outside of that folder.

FS9.1 was completely uninstalled, and the folder was cleaned out before the new install. FS9.0 went to a clean C:\FS9 folder, NOT to program Files but directly to the C drive.

Although you may be signed on as administrator, that does not mean programs will run in administrator mode. You have to locate the exe and open the properties window and then compatability tab and check the box for run as administrator. If you run from a desktop shortcut, you can set the shortcut in the same way instead of hunting for the exe.

Well, I don't have a clue what I did, but FS9.1 is now working! I have installed one add on aircraft and already have issues with the panel, but I expected that. I'm just going to have to remake (to one degree or another) all the panels I created using gauges Win 7 recognizes. It will keep me busy and give me something to do; I'm just delighted to be back with FS9! Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement!

Klee, in memorium for your XP box and for everyone, please feel free to adjust these instructions as needed! AND by the way, these instructions actually came via the Opa from Plano Texas, but he provided them in pieces and over a period of time.

One more important note. I'm using "C:\FS9" as the target installation folder for the installation instructions. The target can be any folder as long as it's outside of the "C:\Program Files" and outside of the "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders. Also, don't install to your Desktop or any of the Library sub-folders underneath it.

The install on my system is actually "C:\Flight Simulator 9".

01) No Need to ever run FS9 as administrator

02) No Need to ever run FS9 in compatibility mode

03) Disable Win7x64 Pro UAC (slider all the way down)

04) Create a clean FS9 Install to C:\FS9 using your Original FS9 CDROMs

(
SUPER IMPORTANT: DO NOT RUN FS9 UNTIL STEP 13
)

05) Create a clean FS9 SP1 install following these steps exactly...

a) Download fs91upd.exe from flyawaysimulation...

Flight Simulator 2004 Update v9.1

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/

c) Place the fs91upd.exe file in the C:\FS9 folder

d) Open an MS-DOS Window

e) In the MS-DOS Window, navigate to the C:\FS9 folder

f) In the MS-DOS Window, type fs91upd.exe and then press enter

g) Watch the update run and finish

h) Now check for a file named "C:\FS9\BACKUP\unpatch.bak"

if the file exists then success but please note that sometimes the file

does not get created and yet the update was still successful.

Match the file versions of your C:\FS9\Modules folder using the table at the end of this post

06) Make a backup copy of the current FS9.exe file somewhere safe

07) Download the NO-CD Patch from flyawaysimulation...

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 v9.1 No-CD Patch for FS2004

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/15244/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-v91-no-cd-patch/

08) Copy the v9.1 No-CD Patch FS9.exe to your C:\FS9 folder overwriting the current file

09) Download the NTCore 4gb Patch from http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

10) Extract the 4gb_patch.exe program into the C:\FS9 folder

11) Run the 4gb_patch.exe program

12) Make a backup copy of the patched FS9.exe program somewhere safe

13) Now for the first time, RUN your shiny new copy of Flight Simulator 9.1 4GB Patched!!!

Klee, I would download any needed files first, although in the instructions, I've placed them in sequence for the sake of clarity.

Best Regards,

Mark

C:\FS9\Modules

SuccessVer ModuleName

9.1.0.40901 ABLSCPT.DLL

9.1.0.40901 ACONTAIN.DLL

9.1.0.40901 AI_PLAYR.DLL

9.1.0.40901 ATC.DLL

9.1.0.40901 CONTROLS.DLL

9.1.0.40901 DEMO.DLL

9.1.0.40901 DYNAMIC.DLL

9.1.0.40901 FACILITIES.DLL

9.1.0.40901 FE.DLL

9.1.0.40901 FLIGHT.DLL

9.1.0.40901 FSUI.DLL

9.1.0.40901 G2D.DLL

9.1.0.40901 G3D.DLL

9.1.0.40901 GLOBAL.DLL

9.1.0.40901 gps.DLL

9.1.0.40901 gps_export.dll

9.1.0.40901 INSTRUCTOR.DLL

9.1.0.40901 MAIN.DLL

9.1.0.40901 mpchat.DLL

9.1.0.40901 MULTIPLAYER.DLL

9.1.0.40901 PANELS.DLL

9.1.0.40901 REALITY.DLL

9.1.0.40901 SIM1.dll

9.1.0.40901 SimScheduler.DLL

9.1.0.40901 SOUND.DLL

9.1.0.40901 SYMMAP.DLL

9.1.0.40901 TERRAIN.DLL

9.1.0.40901 Traffic.DLL

9.1.0.40901 UTIL.DLL

9.1.0.40901 VISUALFX.DLL

9.1.0.40901 Weather.DLL

9.1.0.40901 WINDOW.DLL

From my prospective, that concept was a myth promulgated by various websites. It was a theory that I never subscribed to, and because of that, I've enjoyed disk free boots ever since FS9 entered my life. To me, it was sort of like sex; what I did in my own bedroom, behind closed doors, was no business of anyone but me and whoever happened to be with me.

Update on the install: Five add-on planes added, no scenery added. All planes operate as they should; however, there are 2D panel issues. Not all gauges are showing up, but I have yet to add my gauges file. I fully expect that there will be gauges that will need to be switched.

I want to thank everyone who offered advice, suggestions, support via this thread. This is a daunting task under normal circumstances, but when you add a new and strange OS to the mix, well it's a great help to have the wisdom born of experience. Thank you all!

Yes, My FS9 now says FS9.1. Have, since last post, added gauges folder from prior install, all panels are correct and working properly, all gauges reading accurately. Have yet to add any payware planes or scenery; that will come soon. Again, many thanks!

Thank you, Mark, for the tutorial on how to properly install to 7 Pro 64. I think I did it mostly the way you described save for the 4gb patch. Unfortunately, by the time I read the instructions, I had completed them for the second time and had no interest in starting over again.

I have added several of my add-on aircraft, and all work properly excep for the CLS Arrow II Patched with Tiger 1962's wonderful patch (can't get proper power-RPM from the engine). Also, the other payware, a Caranado Seneca III has a similar problem, toho not as severe.

I'm about to stop testing and add... 1.) Ultimate Terrain, 2.) FSGenesis east coast free ware, and 3.) Ground Environment. Number 3 at the top, followed by 2, with number 2 at the bottom. It occurs to me that this is where I will probably need the 3 gig patch. Can that be added now, after all I've done? Or, must I start over?

Well, that most recent post was a bit premature... I just tried to install Ultimate Terrain to a fresh FS9.1 install on a win 7 Pro 64 machine. The results were a disaster. All terrain is now made up of squares and triangles, no more realistic coast lines, even after removing UT. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever be right.

I'm considering yet another uninstall/reinstall... I'm getting sick of this fast!

Guest lavochkin

WOW, I almost bought that scenery. But after Airwrench, I decided not to. Flight1 is on my no fly list for now. Sorry, to hear this, KCD.

Hope you can fix it. Good luck with Flight1 support. Not very good.

Win 7 is great, shouldn't cause too many issues with FS9. If you reinstall again, I would suggest you install FS9, install the patch and then add the NOCD. At this point just do a quick check to make sure everything appears to be working well. Next add the aircraft, not too much that will go wrong with aircraft. Check again to make sure everything appears to be working. Next add Ground Environment, again should be relatively safe to not upset too much and check. Then add Ultimate Terrain and check. Finally, add any mesh and check.

Do it this way you should hopefully avoid any issues or if you do come across one you will know exactly where the problem came from. Finally you could add the 4GB patch and anything else you have.

Edit: To be completely safe, create your new install in a differently named folder. eg if you installed into a folder called FS9, install into a different folder and say name it FS2004.

Mark Daniels

Archived