FSX SE on Windows 10

Ryan2208

Hi folks,

This may be something that someone has covered before, but having had a trawl through the previous posts, I can't seem to see anything similar. Hoping someone can enlighten me as to what to do.

I am running FSX SE on Windows 10 and up until last night, had no issues whatsoever. However, on boot up last night, Windows ran a series of updates, after which I ran FSX only to be met with a number of 'not responding' issues. This was particularly noticeable when trying to do a Free Flight with the Just Flight Tornado GR1 add-on, whereby the screen remained frozen, i.e not allowing me to pan around the cockpit, use switches etc and again with intermittent 'not responding' issues.

I am no PC expert by any manner or means, but I'm guessing something has been altered during the Windows update last night.

Is this a common thing when Windows updates happen and more importantly, how do I get it running without issues again?!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Hi folks,

This may be something that someone has covered before, but having had a trawl through the previous posts, I can't seem to see anything similar. Hoping someone can enlighten me as to what to do.

I am running FSX SE on Windows 10 and up until last night, had no issues whatsoever. However, on boot up last night, Windows ran a series of updates, after which I ran FSX only to be met with a number of 'not responding' issues. This was particularly noticeable when trying to do a Free Flight with the Just Flight Tornado GR1 add-on, whereby the screen remained frozen, i.e not allowing me to pan around the cockpit, use switches etc and again with intermittent 'not responding' issues.

I am no PC expert by any manner or means, but I'm guessing something has been altered during the Windows update last night.

Is this a common thing when Windows updates happen and more importantly, how do I get it running without issues again?!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

I'm having the exact same problem with the "NOT RESPONDING" situation. Only difference is my problem is with ANYTHING that I attempt to do with windows 10, even when I tried to search for a solution on Google. I guess I may have to take it to the Geek Squad. My problem started about a week ago.

This is NOT a common thing. I run Win 10 myself, and have done so since 3 months after it came out. I have had no issues with running FSX whatsoever. This is not SE, though, but they should behave the same.

But here's a thing - did you search this forum for tips and tricks on installing FSX, before you installed it? Then you would have seen that one crucial piece of advice is to install it outside the default location, but to someplace like C:\FSX. Also, you should run FSX as Administrator.

I am not saying that these tricks will solve your particular situation right now, but this is something that one needs to heed when installing.

And yes, I have that update - most likely the "Creator's Update" - also, and no problems after updating.

Jorgen

So it looks like it's related to the latest Windows 10 updates. I restored my machine to pre-update and FSX works perfectly fine again. Problem is with Windows 10 doing automatic updates, it's probably a matter of time before it runs them again and I'm back to square one!

So it looks like it's related to the latest Windows 10 updates. I restored my machine to pre-update and FSX works perfectly fine again. Problem is with Windows 10 doing automatic updates, it's probably a matter of time before it runs them again and I'm back to square one!

If it is related to a W10 update then there could be a number of reasons, one of the most likely is that a specific update failed and needs to be reloaded. The failure could be due to an interrupted download or because am update required another specific update to be present for it to update successfully.

Have a look at the update history and see what updates were installed and see if any failed. You may be able to weed out a possible update that may have caused the problem - for example a MS update version of a graphics driver. As you know you have a good restore point available try a manual update run and let it do it stuff. Following the update process check again for any failures and run another manual update BEFORE trying FSX again.

It is worth noting that, if you can ID a specific update that is causing you a problem, you can download a tool from MS that will stop that particular update from being re-installed if you uninstall it - some info on it HERE, HERE and HERE.

FTR I have W10 on two rigs running FSX, both upto date (as of Sat 20th) and I have had no issues.....

Regards

Brian

Hi everyone, My name is Dave and I am just getting back into FSX after being away for a bunch of years due to kids, high school graduations, divorce, blah,blah! I was a member of this forum back when FSX first came out trying to get tips to squeeze the most fps out of my then ASUS ROG laptop with a dual core centrino and Geforce 9800gs! Used to drive me crazy! This week, I decided to reward myself with a new HP Pavillion Power laptop that I had to wait 3 weeks for because they arent ready to ship. Build to order! I7-7700k, gtx 1050,4g and 8 gb of 2400 mhz ram. 15.6 fhd display. So, I bought FSX SE, been messing with it for 3 days now, all settings on ultra,default at 1900x1080, completed the first 10 missions, and took a Cessna out of KISP and flew it through NYC into JFK and never went below 45 fps! Most flying aside from NYC is at 70 fps or higher! I'm very happy! Gonna turn off my fps counter because it will only distract my enjoyment of fluid flight. Granted, I dont have any add on scenery or planes, but I am thoroughly enjoying this sim again! And getting my flight skills back! In HD!on a badass laptop! No issues whatsoever with the SE of FSX!

Hi everyone! I have noted on some other forums, including the discussions for the new Flight Sim World that there appears to be the potential for update issues if you are running Windows 10 INSIDER Edition. I have a support client who had all kinds of issues with the recent updates, mostly not affecting FSX. I updated his machine from the Insider version to the Retail version of Windows 10 and resolved all of his issues. This was just yesterday.

Habu 1967

. I updated his machine from the Insider version to the Retail version of Windows 10 and resolved all of his issues. This was just yesterday.

Habu 1967

That makes sense as I had been running the insider version until recently.

Not sure how common the knowledge is that using the Steam software you can check your FSX files.

Go to Steam Library / Properties

Look for Local Files then Verify Integrity

Archived