Add-On Scenery Questions

DKPilot

I recently purchased and installed Mega-Scenery Washington V3. When I go into the settings and scenery I see it listed there and have moved it to the top of the list using the arrow buttons on the side. My question is whether I need to do anything else to actually use the scenery. There are two airports that I am very familiar with and they don't really look like the real thing. Now I know that there is add-on software for specific airports but should these airports in the state I purchased look fairly close to the real thing? Also, the rest of the scenery looks good but I don't know that it's as fantastic as it appeared in the pictures and video that made me want to purchase it. I have FSX installed on a second drive on my PC and I did steer the installer to it so I believe that it is finding it, especially since I see it inside FSX. I just don't know that it's using it.

thanks...

Unless otherwise posted in the advertisement for the addon, the airports will usually remain unchanged. What 2 airports are you interested in?

Also keep in mind that the pics or videos you see in an advert will be heavily edited and enhanced to achieve it's goal of a sale! Cha-ching goes the cash register!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The two airports are Paine Field in Everett, KPAE, and Harvey Field in Snohomish, and I don't remember the identifier right off the top of my head. I live very close to Harvey and go by it every weekend and have flown out of Paine and work by it. I'm just familiar and know they don't look like the ones in FSX. The runways information and some things like the fact that Harvey has both a paved runway and parallel grass one is good but the buildings aren't right. I would like to have a realistic version of Paine Field since when I want to try instrument flying that's the place I'd fly in and out of.

Also, I wondered if they "touched up" the pictures but figured it was still probably nicer than the stock scenery in FSX.

Maybe this download in the File Library might just twist yer turnips!

SX - FSX Scenery FSX Scenery--Seattle Airports

[ Download | View ]

Name: seafsxms.zip

Size: 2,602,847 Date: 12-12-2009 Downloads: 5,153

seafsxms.gif

FSX Scenery--Seattle Airports, Washington (WA). A revision of the default Seattle-Tacoma (SeaTac), Boeing Field, Renton and Paine Field airports to work with MegaScenery Earth. The artificial plateau that Seatac is built on has been expanded and the third runway added. Runways, taxiways and various structures have been revised and/or relocated to match MegaScenery Earth ground textures. Default objects have been used in most cases to minimize FPS impact. MegaScenery Earth Washington-001 (KSEA, KBFI, KRNT) and -002 (KPAE) are required. By Al Wheeler.

[TABLE=align: center] [TR=bgcolor: #EFEFEF] [TD]

[/TD] [TD]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [/TABLE]

I recently purchased and installed Mega-Scenery Washington V3. When I go into the settings and scenery I see it listed there and have moved it to the top of the list using the arrow buttons on the side. My question is whether I need to do anything else to actually use the scenery. There are two airports that I am very familiar with and they don't really look like the real thing. Now I know that there is add-on software for specific airports but should these airports in the state I purchased look fairly close to the real thing? Also, the rest of the scenery looks good but I don't know that it's as fantastic as it appeared in the pictures and video that made me want to purchase it. I have FSX installed on a second drive on my PC and I did steer the installer to it so I believe that it is finding it, especially since I see it inside FSX. I just don't know that it's using it.

thanks...

Should come with a full set of instructions. Have you read the manual?

Oh... back to my original question, do I need to do anything else in FSX to have it use the add-on software? I was probably just expecting more than it's able to do.

Thanks.

Nothing more than what the install instructions say in the README file. Most scenery downloads are either added to the Addon Scenery folder and then added to the Sim through the Scenery Library or simply placed in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and then the area is added the next time FSX is started.

You likely know this. But a thing to watch for, is a :building a new data base: . If you add a area in the scenery library, after clicking ok, if you see a bar saying "Building a new data base" then you know that area has been added.

If you have added some BGL's to your addon scenery/scenery, the next time you start FSX you should see this bar adding the new scenery.

You bought an addon airport and installed.

Then you ask:"is something else required to make it work?".

1-the airport you bought, did it look different after installing? Or do you still see the default one?

2-those other 2 airports, on the page where you bought your addon, does it say these 2 are also included as a bonus?

3-do these 2 look different now as well since installing the payware addon?

4-if not changed, you will have to look for addons for those 2. Either freeware or payware.

5-i think mrzippy's suggestion changes all 3 airports.

Try to be precise with your question. That way you get answers that are more clear.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I bought this online and didn't see a manual but I will look again to see if there is a README file that I missed. I used the installer that came with the download and it installed everything in the folder I directed it to. It most likely is working, just not at great as I expected.

Thanks all.

Orbx offers a very nice Harvey Field https://orbxdirect.com/product/s43

Through the normal installation procedures, both an addon airfield, and the Megascenery, should appear in the FSX Scenery Library. They need to be enabled (clicked), and the addon airfield should be placed ABOVE the Megascenery.

When mixing an addon airfield such as Orbx Harvey Field, which is designed to mesh with the Orbx Pacific Northwest region, with Megascenery photoscenery, there's no guarantee that the two sceneries will mesh well. There can be issues such as non-matching of colors where the sceneries meet. And of course Megascenery only has one season, so that season should be used so that Orbx (which has seasons) will match as well as possible. I've found that the meshing of sceneries varies a lot, from pretty poor to sometimes surprisingly good.

• 1 month later...
Maybe this download in the File Library might just twist yer turnips!

SX - FSX Scenery FSX Scenery--Seattle Airports

[ Download | View ]

Name: seafsxms.zip

Size: 2,602,847 Date: 12-12-2009 Downloads: 5,153

seafsxms.gif

FSX Scenery--Seattle Airports, Washington (WA). A revision of the default Seattle-Tacoma (SeaTac), Boeing Field, Renton and Paine Field airports to work with MegaScenery Earth. The artificial plateau that Seatac is built on has been expanded and the third runway added. Runways, taxiways and various structures have been revised and/or relocated to match MegaScenery Earth ground textures. Default objects have been used in most cases to minimize FPS impact. MegaScenery Earth Washington-001 (KSEA, KBFI, KRNT) and -002 (KPAE) are required. By Al Wheeler.

[TABLE=align: center] [TR=bgcolor: #EFEFEF] [TD]

[/TD] [TD]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [/TABLE]

So before I actually got to install this I had computer problems. I got FSX installed again and wanted to install the file you suggested. I've unzipped everything and put it in a folder, SEAFSXMS. When I start FSX and click on Add Area the window opens allowing me to surf to the folder. When I click on it, it fills out the Directory field and the Scene area name field but when I click on OK, it opens the SEAFSXMS folder which shows the scenery and texture folders. It doesn't seem to actually load anything. Am I doing anything incorrectly?

You do realize Megascenery is just a Sat imagery overlay, right?

As far as adding airports. Wins 7 and above are crap with FS2004 and FSX. There's a trick. When you add the airport click inside the white space where the scenery and texture folders are.

Here are a couple of pointers in the readme file :

(and like Zip said as to complexity...):

''Mesh Terrain:

The mesh slider must be set to 5m because of the complexity of terrain adjustments required around the borders of the artificial plateau that SeaTac is built on.

AFCAD Files:

The AFCAD files (XXXX_AFX_AW.BGL or XXXX_ADEX_AWXX.BGL) that contain airport data are used also for many ground textures, markings, exclusions, etc. in and around the 4 airports. Overriding, removal and/or modifications of those files could make an interesting mess of this scenery.''

And folders / path:

Chuck B

Napamule

Seatac_Zip_Path_Folders.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived