Pah!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Jan...

I lost my computer about ten days ago; at least that many years of FS9 (and other data) are gone. I tried to get back on with a Lonovo (IBM ThinkPad) laptop running W-10, but that was a disaster. I gave up! No big loss, the computer was a gift from a friend trying to help me out. The problem with W-10 is 1.) it won't run a lot of specialty software I need to run, 2.) Microsoft feels the need to maintain control over your computer, and you can't do anything about it, 3.) and the product itself is counter intuitive. It seems as though it will run FSX, but my beloved FS9 is very difficult. I've got to go elsewhere; probably a Windows 7 Pro 64 box with auto update function turned off (otherwise MS will update the machine to 10 no permission asked for, or apparently required). Anyway, I didn't intend to rant, rather I genuinely wanted to welcome you back. Your absence left a huge void here that none of us were able to fill, it is nice to hear from you again!

Klee, thanks for the welcome back my friend :). Was a hard time, being separated from you all :D W10 also tried to take over my compu, but my PC friends installed a little progam that stops that nonsense. My new compu will be a stand alone, and I will still use W7 64 Professional. No Windows 10 for me, I still want to use my great collection of FS9 port-over props. My old PC had a major crash, but I copied all my files (learned a lot during the years) edit: good luck with your new compu hunt!
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great to have you back Peer!! Thought of you many times.:)

Klee, someone with a bit of knowledge should be able to get your files back with little issue.

One option for example would be to connect an external HD to the box, and then boot using for example a Linux Live CD. Whith the linux OS running, you should be able to copy all your files to the external HD. (Not one file at a time, tediously, but one whole partition at a time.)

Other way. Take the old HDD out of the old pc, and connect it to an existing pc. It will appear in the new PC as a new drive, with all files still on it, and then you can simply copy everything to an External HD as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jan, as I move forward with a 7 pro 64 box, can I contact you via PM with how to questions?

il88pp, you will be interested to know that your suggestion has been tried. The old system will not boot to anything. First we tried a windows recovery disk, then tried to boot to safe mode, then we removed the HD (1t byte) and ran it in a USB case for virus check (nothing there save a small Trojan). Finally we tried the Linux method without result. The files are there and I will be able to recover most, but the issue with the machine is a mystery. When you turn it on, you get the initial messages but that's all, no "windows is starting" no splash screen, no nothing... just black.

Along with the box, the repair guy took my OS disks. He told me he couldn't get them to work anywhere. He indicated the disks had somehow become corrupted. They are read only CDs, how could that be?

(otherwise MS will update the machine to 10 no permission asked for, or apparently required).

No, they won't forcefully update it to Windows 10 any more. That was only happening during the period they were offering it as a free upgrade and they were rightfully raked over the coals for it. It isn't an issue any more though.

Welcome back, famous Peer and great shots of super shiny plane!!

To all people, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO BACK UP ALL FSX FILES AND ALL SCREENSHOTS ONCE EVERY MONTH. Use 50 buck external portable drive for backup purposes.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Welcome back, famous Peer and great shots of super shiny plane!!

To all people, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO BACK UP ALL FSX FILES AND ALL SCREENSHOTS ONCE EVERY MONTH. Use 50 buck external portable drive for backup purposes.

Regards,

Aharon

Uh, Aharon, you do realize that all of your screenshots posted here are all saved in your Settings/Attachments? I keep a virgin install of FSX on an external USB drive just in case!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

We Are Not Worthy!!

What excitement to hear from His Peerness!! I never see or hear of a water crash that I'm not reminded of his flights!

BUT!! I jut saw a couple of screenshots, supposedly under his name, that weren't over or mostly in the water!! :eek::eek:

NO WATER, NO SWIMMING, NO CRASH Could these possibly be from Jan??;)

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I only had a minor incident in Belgium, was NOT my fault. Had nothing to do with water btw.....:mad:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]197699[/ATTACH]

Only because we drained all the nearby lakes before you landed at EBZW !

Welcome back peer, I wondered where you have been. By reading the post, you surely have been missed. I hope all things are getting better for you as for posting pics. Look forward to seeing pics once again. Kenny

P.S. I found my old Connie for FS9 and fly it once in awhile again, I like your Connie that you just posted.

Jan, my god, you are back!!!:):):)

People here were wondering aloud what had happened to you, some said they had seen you being evicted from the royal grounds, then there was the rumor going around that they had seen a plane dive head first into lake Geneva. Nevertheless, mighty glad you are back here, I need you to be my beta tester for some of the scenery I am doing.:D

Well, there goes my money! :mad: I had 'Abducted by aliens and probed' in the pool.

Might have known it was just another computer fiasco. :mad:

You've got to stop powering your machines with your tram wires, dude!

Also, anything bad that was said in your absence is all Adam's fault. :o

Anyhow, welcome back! -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Bernardo, Blair, Adam and Bobbo, THANKS for te welcome back posts! ;):D:o Bernardo, I will be honored to be your Beta tester! Oh, is it possible to create an "Adam Free" zone (as large as possible) in it? Thanks! :D
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived