Default Lear 45 question

I fly this A/C all the time and being used to the PMDG 737 I engage the beacon prior to turning on to the runway. But this A/C doesn't have strobes. Just two beacons. So now I'm wondering if I should engage the beacon prior to engine start?

Aha! Well, in general it's considered good airmanship to be as clear about your intentions as possible.

The red beacon is used to indicate that an engine is (about to be) running and to keep people out of harms way.

I can't imagine the POH would not advise to turn it on before engine start to be honest.

Grtz., Hans

Looks like I found my answer.

g. APU (if installed) — As desired:

(1) BCN/STROBE Switch — BCN.

(2) APU MASTER Switch — ON.

So prior to starting the APU the beacon goes on. According to that manual, the APU has enough force to suck in people or objects.

This default A/C doesn't have strobes. Only two beacons. So I guess I need to add them.

Hi Folks,

IRL - my beacon and strobes are separate switches - my beacon switch is never turned off - so as soon as the master is on the beacon lights - the strobes when entering or leaving a runway (part of the lights, camera, action ritual)...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Do they both work together? Strobes without beacon doesn't exist IRL.

If that was aimed at me.....I can't really tell if it was!.....They were both on and flashing, but at different intervals so I couldn't get a shot with both on at the same time.

UPDATE: I just did a full test flight with the Lear45 and with all of the normal lights on the strobe is a steady light with just the small red beacon light flashing on the tail assy.

lear.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The thing is that the switch is not present in the default Lear. The hotkey works (CTRL+Something...) but the switch just isn't there.

That caused the confusion. Good point about the exhaust being on eyebrow level btw, I was wondering how on earth someone could get sucked into an APU to begin with.

Speaking of which...I know where the exhaust is, but where's the intake of the APU?

Grtz., Hans

I read in the manual something about the APU sucking in tools and what have you and I posted the check list and indeed it looks like the beacon comes on prior to APU start.

g. APU (if installed) — As desired:

(1) BCN/STROBE Switch — BCN.

(2) APU MASTER Switch — ON.

Hi Folks,

Seriously - if you like Lears - do yourself a favor and spend the $20.00 on the Flysimware model - it's absolutely fantastic - and the developer has maintained support for years - in fact yet another big update was released this week... We've got all the RW documentation (AFM) and checklists as well... Those torpedo like tip tanks make it look - well - just plain bad ass... It's the only bizjet I fly...

PS: It has individual switches for Landing, Taxi, Nav, Strobes, Ice, and Recognition Lights...

84481bd79611b0911531f47ccebd7e41.png

e2bcb9a1fa85f5466758d0f38431b610.png

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Folks,

Seriously - if you like Lears - do yourself a favor and spend the $20.00 on the Flysimware model - it's absolutely fantastic - and the developer has maintained support for years - in fact yet another big update was released this week... We've got all the RW documentation (AFM) and checklists as well... Those torpedo like tip tanks make it look - well - just plain bad ass... It's the only bizjet I fly...

PS: It has individual switches for Landing, Taxi, Nav, Strobes, Ice, and Recognition Lights...

84481bd79611b0911531f47ccebd7e41.png

e2bcb9a1fa85f5466758d0f38431b610.png

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

I just went to this "Pilot Shop" and found the Lear 35 on sale for $41.99 Instant Download. Is this the one you are referring to?

I usually fly with a 2D cockpit and use side monitors to provide additional outside wrap around effect, plus a small monitor for gauges. Does this plane come with a 2D Cockpit??

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I read in the manual something about the APU sucking in tools and what have you and I posted the check list and indeed it looks like the beacon comes on prior to APU start.

That's a common situation jet engines have had since day 1. They will ingest about anything that'll fit down the intake, and a few things that shouldn't. That's why the military is so big on FOD Walks, and tool control. Understandably.

To put it succinctly, jets, including APU's, just suck!

:D :D :p

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

That's a common situation jet engines have had since day 1. They will ingest about anything that'll fit down the intake, and a few things that shouldn't. That's why the military is so big on FOD Walks, and tool control. Understandably.

To put it succinctly, jets, including APU's, just suck!

:D :D :p

Have fun!

Pat☺

Hey Pat,

I was at NAS Memphis the day they shut down the F-1 engine turn-up line. A row of wingless F-1s were tied down from rolling forward by huge chains. And of course the seat, gear retract, and brake release were all disabled.

Would be pilots and mechanics would climb into a F-1, cover up, and under instruction from "ATC," start, idle and finally power those old J-65s to about 40% throttle. There was a huge throttle stop to prevent more power.

One day a sailor in his little sailor hat wandered onto the "flight line" without being noticed and one of those J-65s sucked his hat up and F.O.D.ED itself and three or four other F-1s in the line.

That apparently was the end of the project!!

Hi Michael,

Yes - but if you are interested - wait for a 50% off sale - they have them often - seems like every couple of weeks or so - I'll ping you if I see it...

Sorry - I don't think there is a 2D - but I haven't looked for one - I'll see if I can get a real answer for you...

She's a handful - as she leaps off the runway at greater than 4000 FPM up to 10,000 ft - but no more so than the default or real one for that matter...

It comes with a custom autopilot so the standard keys don't work - you need to have a custom map setup for some of the function - or just use the mouse (but things happen fast which makes mouse use less than ideal) - currently mapped to many of the default G1000 keys - so if that's not an issue - a breeze with FSUIPC - she's fantastic...

Just about all the buttons work as they do in the real plane for normal operations - I don't think there are any custom failure modes which aren't my thing anyway - so you can use a real world checklist - she's passed the test of time with me and is an absolute favorite...

It has support for the F1 GTN's and the MilViz/REX Wx Radar as well...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Thanks Scott,

To me the 2d is a big deal. So I'd appreciate it you check and see if there is one. Looking at the recent add from Nels, there is no indication I could find whether 2d is available or not.

And yes, the more like real responses a plane has the better I like it!! That's why I've about given up on choppers. :o

Michael

The Pilot Shop...in my experience one of the most unreliable webshops in the field. I purchased three items on different occasions; discount codes not applied, a dead download link once and the last time no download link at all. Only after intervention of Mastercard did they reply on my emails and fix it. It took me litteraly six(!!!) weeks, every time!

Not even an apology, only a blank email with the correct download link. Six weeks!!!

Don't buy here unless you're up for a challenge. Try Aerosoft or Aviationmegastore instead.

Grtz., Hans

Thanks Scott,

To me the 2d is a big deal. So I'd appreciate it you check and see if there is one. Looking at the recent add from Nels, there is no indication I could find whether 2d is available or not.

And yes, the more like real responses a plane has the better I like it!! That's why I've about given up on choppers. :o

Michael

Hi Michael,

Just to close this out for us - sorry - no 2D panel included...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Archived