Can I somehow get a better GPS into my Addon Planes?

Hello,

I really like flying GA Planes. They only have the default GPS or the one made by Carenado and no FMC. However, the default and even the one by Carenado aren't very good. It is only possible to create "Direct To" Waypoints.

So, I would like to know if there are any nice pay- or freeware GPS Addons. I am fully aware of the RealityXP GTN-Things. Those are really great, but my computer will definitely not like them. When I get a new computer, a GTN 750 will be the first thing I buy :)

Until that, I need a GPS that doesn't need so much resources. It should be possible to create flight plans in the GPS. But I could'nt find something related. I don't even know if it is possible to include a GPS into the VC. I guess it is by hacking around in the panels.cfg ot something like that.

I would really appreciate help. Thanks!

PC SPECS: CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600 @ 3.925Ghz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB MSI ARMOR OC MAINBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-350F Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4-2133 PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W COOLER: EKL Alpenföhn Olymp STORAGE: SanDisk SSD 128GB, WD 500GB 7200RPM

This flight planner may be what you are looking for. That program will let you input waypoints of your choosing into a flight plan. The site also provides intersection updates which allows you to use updated navigation charts. Another way to program a flight plan is to make a direct to flight plan, and then drag the red line to navigation waypoints of you choosing that are on the default map. I often will drag the line to VOR's, NDB's, or intersections for a custom flight plan. Flights are much more interesting flying over cities or other airports than just flying the vanilla gps direct plan. Hope this makes your flights more interesting.

• 6 months later...
I realize this is an old post, but have you considered EasyFMC? http://emarciano.free.fr/En/EasyFMC.htm I haven't tried it, but it does say that it will let you create flight plans directly in the device and then fly them via your GPS. Not exactly a replacement GPS like you asked for, but might get you the functionality you desire.

Thanks for your late answer, but the third paragraph in my question got true. I'm now finally sitting in front of a nice PC. So I gonna pick up the GTN 750/650 Bundle as soon as possible. Expensive but worth every cent.

PC SPECS: CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600 @ 3.925Ghz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB MSI ARMOR OC MAINBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-350F Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4-2133 PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W COOLER: EKL Alpenföhn Olymp STORAGE: SanDisk SSD 128GB, WD 500GB 7200RPM

You're welcome and I hope you enjoy your new system! Also, just in case someone else stumbles upon this thread, I want to add another choice: vasFMC. This is a free FMC for use in "all" airplanes. I'm still just starting to use it, but as a big bonus it can use updated AIRAC navigation data as purchased from Aerosoft NavDataPro or Navigraph. It also looks to be pretty much an entire flight controls and displays suite... not just the MCDU to enter flight plans, etc.

Archived