Thread: ORBX or UTX

1. Default ORBX or UTX

ORBX has a sale right now, so it's not necessarily prohibitively expensive for me; but I've also seen UTX on the Flight1 website, and I was just wondering what are some of the pros and cons of each software. I'd like to have better rivers, roads, cities, coastlines, etc, so I'm ready to upgrade. Do these FTX/UTX products help with those, or do I have to purchase a 'vector' product?

Also, how do these products interact with photo-realistic scenerly like MegaEarth or an autogen program like Nuvecta or a 3D night scenery?

Thanks for your help. I've only been simming for about 3 months, so I've got a lot to learn from you all who have been simming for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaxPower View Post
    ORBX has a sale right now, so it's not necessarily prohibitively expensive for me; but I've also seen UTX on the Flight1 website, and I was just wondering what are some of the pros and cons of each software. I'd like to have better rivers, roads, cities, coastlines, etc, so I'm ready to upgrade. Do these FTX/UTX products help with those, or do I have to purchase a 'vector' product?

Also, how do these products interact with photo-realistic scenerly like MegaEarth or an autogen program like Nuvecta or a 3D night scenery?

Thanks for your help. I've only been simming for about 3 months, so I've got a lot to learn from you all who have been simming for years.
    Buy ORBX. UTX can mix with ORBX but at the end of the day ORBX is designed to work `wholistically`. As long as you don't use all the options on FTX Vector (I turn off tertiary roads) the combo of FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC is the current sweet spot. There is far m ore ongoing development with FTX.

However, if you had already invested in UTX, or ORBX wasn't on special, the advice would be different.

ORBX has a page on their website to tell you precisely what each product does.

I don't know about ORBX, but I have UTX's complete works, and it works just fine and helps with what you're looking for.

Jorgen

UTX does a decent job in the U.S. ORBX Base and Vector cover the whole world, and make (IMHO) the whole world somewhat prettier in the bargain. Be sure to try the ORBX free demos (PNW and Tasmania, small areas of their respective regions), too. And the ORBX free airports package fits in better with the Base and Vector. Add in OpenLC North America and you have a much better package than UTX can provide, even within the U.S. I have all of those, and I much prefer the ORBX stuff.

In many respects, UTX earlier version was better than the current version, largely because of their goofy looking roads in the latter, even though some features were added to the later version. I still use the UTX Alaska for areas not covered by the Southern Alaska region in ORBX.

No doubt you'll get differing opinions from some here, though, as so much depends on what you want out of the package and what type of "flying" you do. If it's mostly airline stuff, the ORBX isn't quite the advantage (other than airports themselves) over UT that it is for those of us who fly lower and slower a lot, though it's still great stuff either way.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Blog Entries

UTX is far cheaper and looks just fine. ORBX's airports and smaller sceneries look great, but their FTX Global, in my opinion, is just better autogen. UTX does the same thing.
    (Also, their FTX Nevada is far too green for my tastes)
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7