Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can't get Saitek Cessna Trim wheel trimming

  1. #1

    Default Can't get Saitek Cessna Trim wheel trimming

    Gang,

    I searched for the answer to this problem in this forum and the developer's corner for X-Plane. I'm trying and failing to install my Saitek Cessna Trim wheel.

    The machine I am using is a Dell Precision M90 17" Gaming Laptop @ 2.0GHz with 4GB RAM and a 250GB harddrive plus FX 2500M video card with 1663 MB total available graphics memory (all of it shared, it says). It says I have this: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz. It is an x64-based processor.

    I'm running on top of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version. Last night it said I was up to date. I am running Steam and FS X SE that I downloaded about a month ago. I have both Southern California MegaScenery USA V. 4 packages installed and consider sightseeing via air a pleasant diversion.

    I have downloaded:

    Pro_Flight_FSX_Plugin_7_0_50_1_x64_Software

    Pro_Flight_Cessna_Trim_Wheel_7_0_47_1_x64_Drivers

    Pro_Flight_Cessna_Trim_Wheel_7_0_47_1_x64_Software.

    Here is the problem. When I double-clicked on the drivers, I eventually got an error message that said this:

    "You will need to upgrade the .NET Runtime to version 3.5 before you can install the ST software.
    "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&DisplayLang=en"

    When I go to that link, it offers me something called ".NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x64)", which is different. As an aside, Google when asked to find .NET Runtime acts as if it never existed and offers at least the first ten results that are related to this .NET Framework, whatever it is.

    I tried to install .NET Framework 4.6.1, but it said I already had it or a newer version.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Sean

    P.S.: I know this machine is not up to the task of running FS X. When the sky has 8 bands of different shades of blue running horizontally and my older laptop didn't have that when running FS9, it's painfully obvious. But, it's what's available to me. I find that it seems to be able to keep up with the scenery when I fly the Goodyear Blimp at 9 knots.
    Last edited by N33029; 05-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N33029 View Post
    Pro_Flight_FSX_Plugin_7_0_50_1_x64_Software
    Pro_Flight_Cessna_Trim_Wheel_7_0_47_1_x64_Drivers
    Pro_Flight_Cessna_Trim_Wheel_7_0_47_1_x64_Software.
    You don't need any of this stuff to run the trim wheel, just plug it in and Windows will see it as a joystick (HID) device. Your sky banding problem will not be related to the power of your computer, you most likely have set a 16-bit graphics mode. Go to the options/settings/display and set the full-screen resolution to something that ends in 32 (not 16). If this also happens in windowed mode, you will need to change your Windows display settings accordingly. It is inconceivable that your laptop can run Windows 10 but can't display 32-bit colour.
    MarkH


  3. Default

    Does your trim wheel appear under controls within FSX?
    If it does and you are having trouble assigning it to the `elevator trim` axis within FSX try the following.
    When assigning the trim wheel to your desired axis turn the wheel (at the point you want fsx to recognise the assignment) but then keep turning the wheel.
    Two things I've noticed with mine.
    1) It seems to take FSX a lot of turning before it recognises the device and assigns it. Not instant like a button push.
    2) Within game sometimes first use of the wheel takes a while for the device to enable and it to start responding. You sometimes hear the `ping` as if a new device has been plugged in.
    I get that with my one but once assigned and once detected works okay.
    Have it in your pre-flight to turn the wheel a few times to engage it :-)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munnst View Post
    Does your trim wheel appear under controls within FSX?
    If it does and you are having trouble assigning it to the `elevator trim` axis within FSX try the following.
    When assigning the trim wheel to your desired axis turn the wheel (at the point you want fsx to recognise the assignment) but then keep turning the wheel.
    I can see the trim wheel under assignments, and when I turn it the cursor (a plus sign) moves left and right. Elsewhere, it said the trim wheel is assigned to the elevator trim. There was a position available for the rudder, but no way to assign the trim wheel to the rudder trim tab.

    I got into the Beech Baron and turned the trim wheel a lot - I was using my forearm and hand to turn it over and over. None of the indicators (that a/c has three-axis trim controls) moved and I couldn't see the trim tab on the left wing close to the fuselage (if I'm remembering the position correctly.)

    Before that I confirmed that the trim wheel didn't adjust the elevator in the C172.

    Quote Originally Posted by munnst View Post
    Two things I've noticed with mine.
    1) It seems to take FSX a lot of turning before it recognises the device and assigns it. Not instant like a button push.
    2) Within game sometimes first use of the wheel takes a while for the device to enable and it to start responding. You sometimes hear the `ping` as if a new device has been plugged in.
    I get that with my one but once assigned and once detected works okay.
    Have it in your pre-flight to turn the wheel a few times to engage it :-)
    It seems that Flight Simulator recognizes the wheel, it just won't do what I want with it.

    Anybody got any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Sean
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

  5. #5

    Default

    I wish people would quit installing these F***'ed up Saitek drivers. Use Spad. Do not install ANY Saitek drivers. Spad works great and if you want to customize any specific controls use FSUIPC.

    You can get SPAD here http://fstools.weebly.com/

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrUnSavory View Post
    I wish people would quit installing these F***'ed up Saitek drivers. Use Spad. Do not install ANY Saitek drivers. Spad works great and if you want to customize any specific controls use FSUIPC.

    You can get SPAD here http://fstools.weebly.com/
    SPAD has nothing to offer the Cessna trim wheel, which present as an analogue device. SPAD is for panels. SPAD.neXt is a different matter, but as I have already said it's not necessary (and is also now payware). Windows handles HIDs natively and this present as a simple HID.
    MarkH


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N33029 View Post
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Have you actually programmed it to one of the trim axes? You mention checking whether it operates any of them but I can't see where you mentioned programming an axis. (I will assume you know how to do this.) I don't have FSX open but I am not sure native FSX presents an analogue axis for the rudder trim. (FSUIPC does.) Did you calibrate the trim wheel? That may be your problem. It is a pain to calibrate as it takes many winds of the wheel.
    MarkH


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hurst View Post
    Have you actually programmed it to one of the trim axes? You mention checking whether it operates any of them but I can't see where you mentioned programming an axis. (I will assume you know how to do this.) I don't have FSX open but I am not sure native FSX presents an analogue axis for the rudder trim. (FSUIPC does.) Did you calibrate the trim wheel? That may be your problem. It is a pain to calibrate as it takes many winds of the wheel.
    I've the trim wheel working now. I just did it a few minutes ago. Here's what I did:

    [Stuff like calibrating that I don't remember]

    and then:

    Settings - controls

    Elevator trim

    click 'New assignment' button

    turned wheel until it said something like "Saitek trim wheel assigned"

    When I calibrated it, it just took half a turn for the plus sign to slide all the way from one edge to the opposite edge, like left to right or right to left.

    But adding the new assignment button is what finally got it to work.

    Thanks,
    Sean
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Ah, now it stopped working. I had what looked like a problem with the null zone and did something, don't remember what, and now I need to start over.
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

  10. #10

    Default

    I unplugged the throttle quadrant but I can't get the trim wheel to work correctly. When I test it, the plus sign cursor only goes left, never right.

    I'm trying a restart. I'd like to use both of these controllers at the same time.

    Sean
    Last edited by N33029; 05-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
  3. Saitek Cessna trim wheel
    By submarine007 in forum FSX
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 12:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •