When do you drop your landing gear?

I always dropped the landing gear at about 10 miles out, but there is a real world 737 pilot that does YouTube tutorials and he dropped the landing gear 4 miles out. So I have been doing that, but it seems awfully close to the airport to be doing so. I'm referring to the sim of course.

Do whatever you like. If o like to be configured and stabilised sooner, go right ahead. Safety matters, there are no fixed rules, other then "safety first". There's plenty stress already in that last bit of the flight.

Oh, and don't believe everything you see on youtube.;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some of us who are real world pilots will do things in the sim that we'd do different in the real world. But about the gear, so long as you are at or below the max gear speed, you can put it down any time, just keeping in mind that the extra drag requires extra power, therefore extra fuel burn, and it may affect your handling of the unexpected (probably won't run into much of that in the sim).

As il indicated above, the main thing is to have a stabilized approach by the time you get to the FAF.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Depends what plane i am in. Some of my low wing tail dragger's i have the gear set so one drops before the other, simulated slow lazy gear on one side. outer marker is always my reminder pretty much.

Well, I usually fly the FSDT Hornet. I usually drop my gear and flaps at 800' as I go around the boat's bow, as I slow below 250KIAS.

Works the same for shore based recoveries too. Just that the runway's a LOT longer, and not moving. None of the LSO's giving me a hard time, either :D

That's just me, though.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Flying jetliners, Gear Down at the Outer Marker (or ILS Glideslope Intercept if there is no outer marker). Once the gear drops you just work the throttle to stay on the ILS glideslope. If there isn't an ILS but a VASI, massage your throttles to keep the proper ratio of red to white lights as you "slide down the rails."

Fair skies and following winds,

-Frank-

PROUD FS RTWR Pilot since 2015!

Kick the tires and light the fires! We's goin' FLYIN'!:D

I'll drop my gear for a really pretty gal, but never for a guy.

Of course, the drunker I get, the prettier the girls get. Got me in deep trouble one night. Almost had to chew my arm off to get away the next morning...

:D :D :p ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...
I was always taught to lower the wheels during the downwind phase of approach. Arriving 'straight in' requires a little more judgement, but there's no actual rule about it as far as I know, other than it would be a good idea if at some point you remembered to do it.

Archived