Are there any good tools that can migrate C: system disc to another?

munnst

Title says it all really. My SSD 250gb is running out of space.

A full rebuild takes me several weeks of frustration trying to get everything as it was.

Are there any tools that can migrate a drive to another?

Or can I do a system restore onto another larger disc?

Thanks,

Ted.

System restore does not do this.

You can make a System Image. Store that on a external HD, then restore it to the new SSD.

When restoring, disconnect the old SSD. That makes sure you don't restore to the wrong disk.

And that makes sure that if the restore goes wrong you can also reattach the old drive again and try again.

There is an inbuilt System Image function in Windows. (in 7, not sure about 8 and 10).

System Image is not the same as system restore, system restore only tries to fix the existing Windows.

A backup is not the same eitherr. That only saves the files, but restoring it does not give you a booting disk.

When making a Sstem Image it is possible to create an Image that can create a bootable drive. Select the right options.

There is also specific software to create an Image.

I use Acronis. This is payware.

Another program I have installed for this is EaseUS ToDo Backup Free. This is freeware.

There are more freeware programs for this, but many are limited in some way. Make sure the program you choose can make Images of the Main drive only, that also result in a bootable drive.

(The Windows inbuilt option for example has trouble restoring only one drive at a time. And some freewares are only meant for additional drive, and not for your Windows Boot Drive.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Take an image of the 250 SSD and restore it onto a the larger SSD, then with Computer Management (Properties of My Computer) increase the size of the larger disk to its full capacity because I believe the image restoration also sets the new SSD to the size of the images one.

Check out Casper 8. I use it along with Acronis. Windows does have an image creation facility but I never restored form it.

Never trust only one source!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ted,

You may wish to consider moving a folder to the new location and then creating a link in the original folder location. For example you could move the entire "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder and then create a link in the original location. Assuming both drives are SSDs there will be no discernible effect on operation. If this sounds interesting, and you're not familiar with the procedure, I'll post it here. This is extremely simple.

Jim F.

Hi Ted,

You may wish to consider moving a folder to the new location and then creating a link in the original folder location. For example you could move the entire "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder and then create a link in the original location. Assuming both drives are SSDs there will be no discernible effect on operation. If this sounds interesting, and you're not familiar with the procedure, I'll post it here. This is extremely simple.

Jim F.

By link do you mean shortcut? Both my drives are SSD's btw.

In the end I settled for the freeware Macrium Reflect.

Been using it a few weeks now and is it very good and fast.

I've reduced my backup time from 18 hours (using MS) to 2 hours using Macrium Reflect.

Incremental backups are just a few minutes.

Hi Ted,

Not like a shortcut. If you moved FSX to a different location and then created a shortcut the registry entries would not be correct. Double clicking a shortcut would just bring you to the relocated folder and any installer would just be confused. By moving the folder and creating a link (or junction) EVERYTHING works as if the folder was still in the original location. The only perceivable difference is that the link will still have the folder icon but there will be a tiny arrow added to it. As you only mention backing up in your latest post I don't know if you've solved your space problem. Post if you'd like more info.

Jim F.

Archived