How to clean the rubber on X52 Controllers

Unsure where to post his; I'm using FSX.

What is the best way to clean the sticky Rubber, due to handling....on the Saitek X52 controllers ?

Sticky rubber? Is this on a handle? I would use IPA. Isopropol alcohol. Get the good stuff, usually 95-98% pure alcohol not rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol contains oil.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Unsure where to post his; I'm using FSX.

What is the best way to clean the sticky Rubber, due to handling....on the Saitek X52 controllers ?

It is not due to handling (well, maybe partially). Whatever rubber saitek uses degrades over time, and it will break down whether handled, left out unused or in a box. The first 2 are a little worse because the sticky rubber attracts dust.

You could either clean with ISO and elbow grease, or use something oily like goof off followed by a degreaser like simple green. You will have to do it more and more frequently as the stick gets older, but eventually you will rub all of the sticky rubberized plastic away, and you will be left with the slick hard plastic underneath.

You could accelerate the process by using scrub pads or the like, steel wool, emery cloths, but I wouldn't advise trying to remove it all in one shot. I have an old x45 that I did this with and there is hope.. (until the pots start going out, but that's another story.) I used 91% ISO from a local drugstore (strongest I could find) and used the green side of a green and yellow scrub pad. I did that about 4 times and on the last one I followed with the goof off/simple green. I think i used full strength or maybe half dilution.

Just thought of this since I use it on my car's wiper blades to keep them supple. WD-40! It's not an oil and it's not a good lubricant. It's a "Water Displacement" solvent. You can go over it with the alcohol afterwards.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Wrap it with duct tape and you eliminate any wear-n-tear (due to age) and can skip all the 'solvents' and maintenance routine. Use my head (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 3 weeks later...
Sticky rubber? Is this on a handle? I would use IPA. Isopropol alcohol. Get the good stuff, usually 95-98% pure alcohol not rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol contains oil.

Thanks to all of you for advice, have used Isopropyl neat solution and taken all the rubber off down to the black shiny plastic because when partly cleaned and rubber dried, still sticky. conclusion after 10 years of use, the large rubber areas where your hands go have de-composed. The controls have always been as new but the rubber coating failed. I used a "rough" cotton pile tea cloth when the wife was not watching, rubbed carefully but vigorously to remove all rubber down to the black shiny plastic, taking care not to apply the liquid to any other areas, when dried, a small amount on a soft cloth with kitchen spray polish and the controls look brand new. To attempt to dismantle the controls is unadvisable, so clean all the Throttle area of rubber only and clean the Stick rubber area where your hand sits only. Very pleased with the result.

It is not due to handling (well, maybe partially). Whatever rubber saitek uses degrades over time, and it will break down whether handled, left out unused or in a box. The first 2 are a little worse because the sticky rubber attracts dust.

You could either clean with ISO and elbow grease, or use something oily like goof off followed by a degreaser like simple green. You will have to do it more and more frequently as the stick gets older, but eventually you will rub all of the sticky rubberized plastic away, and you will be left with the slick hard plastic underneath.

You could accelerate the process by using scrub pads or the like, steel wool, emery cloths, but I wouldn't advise trying to remove it all in one shot. I have an old x45 that I did this with and there is hope.. (until the pots start going out, but that's another story.) I used 91% ISO from a local drugstore (strongest I could find) and used the green side of a green and yellow scrub pad. I did that about 4 times and on the last one I followed with the goof off/simple green. I think i used full strength or maybe half dilution.

Abolutely correct worked well with mine, now brand new controls in fact I prefer the black to the rubber.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...