REX Weather Issue

usb777

Maybe someone here can help me. The folks at the REX support just seem strange. Here is the conversation:

Me:

Reinstalling my REX for FS2004 because I keep getting the Fire Wall window telling my REX does not have permission though I have it listed as being able to so now what updates do I need for this build and will that fix the firewall issue? I only use Microsoft Essentials and the default windows firewall. Haven't had this in the past just showed up.

REX:

1.5.2016.0826 is the latest build. Please download and install the latest updates.

Me:

I see four updates. All of them and it what order?

REX:

Due to the technical/sensitive nature of this topic, we ask that you send an email to our Technical Team at: support@rexgamestudios.com

Please provide a link to this post within your email. One of our staff members will respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for your patience as we try to resolve this quickly.

Me:

what is so sensitive about which update to install? There are only four jeepers creepers Which ones and in what order? How hard can that be?

REX developer/manager times999:

Reed is simply trying to give you a full version of the latest build... take it or leave it.

What a rude answer in my opinion, I have Active Sky anyway. Ten years of trying to get any help from times99 has always wanted my to tell him things I cannot say over thyere anyway. Back to my issue, any ideas?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Here is a picture and I have given permission for this program as well as all my FS programs and files. This has worked fine for five years then suddenly started getting this window.

REX Firewall Alert.jpg

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

If your Router has a built-in firewall, check the settings there as well.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have, it has got to be something with REX. I have two different computers with the program, Both have been working for several years then one day started it up and started getting this window. On both computers connected to the router and on line nothing has changed with my knowledge on my end. I am sure other people have gotten this issue and just wondering what they did. I love the Rex textures but seldom use the weather because of things like this and their support people seem to me to be rude and insensitive because they and their program is perfect and we must be stupid. I just am curious now but use Active Sky anyway. Far superior and better tech support in my opinion.

Mike G.

REX is not likely to be able to change your firewall settings on it's own, surely? It's more likely to have been a windows update or an update to any other antivirus or security software you have.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

My fire wall setting is not the issue, never has been in fact just to make sure I turned it off. I also listed all my FSX and SFS2009 Programs permission through the fire walls. I only use microsoft essentials anyway and I have been running these programs for over ten years now so it isn't something I changed. One more thing, my flight simulators are custom builds and I do not auto update and am very careful if I do choose an update only after careful research on what it is for now unless REX requires an update they haven't told me about.

Mike G.

Maybe someone here can help me. The folks at the REX support just seem strange. Here is the conversation:

[snip]

As I read it, the upset in your exchange with REX started when you chose not to follow their guidance by contacting them by email. It seems reasonable to me that they will not publicly announce a URL where you can download the latest full version, because the whole world and his wife would gleefully download an illegal copy.

REX offered you a way which you chose to not take - that is of course your choice but their response "take it or leave it" seems appropriate enough to me. To take your issue further they need to know first that you are working with the latest version - that in itself might or might not solve all but that has to be the starting point.

When I purchased REX, I found them nothing but helpful and polite when I had an installation issue, and was invited to contact them further if I had any other problems (which I did not). Personally I couldn't ask for more than that.

You mention Active Sky. Depending on the version you are using (and how you use it), you may find you get served the same "current weather" permanently as it seems their weather server is no longer updated. I believe the archived weather still works.

Best regards,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Happy you have had a good experience with the people from REX. I on the other hand over the last ten years have found them to be very unhelpful. I did e-mail them and am still waiting for a reply. Even tonight I have triple check my computer firewalls and the thing is listed. I am only asking for advice on what might be creating my issue so if you cannot help me with that then please do not entertain your opinion about REX John. My Active Sky is working perfect. My FSX REX is working perfect. So you obviously do not even understand my initial issue.

Best Regards

Mike

Mike G.

Happy you have had a good experience with the people from REX. I on the other hand over the last ten years have found them to be very unhelpful. I did e-mail them and am still waiting for a reply. Even tonight I have triple check my computer firewalls and the thing is listed. I am only asking for advice on what might be creating my issue so if you cannot help me with that then please do not entertain your opinion about REX John. My Active Sky is working perfect. My FSX REX is working perfect. So you obviously do not even understand my initial issue.

Fair enough - you did not say that you had emailed them.

I do understand your issue (although I haven't had to change any firewall settings myself) and am pleased your Active Sky works perfectly - clearly you are not using AS6 then.

The best place for help is undoubtedly the REX forum - there is nothing to stop you asking there if they received your email.

Good luck.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Thhank you for your imput. It really isn't that big of a deal, I only use Rax for theirr textures anyway. Just like everything to work , funny thyat way. As for Active Sky I have AS 2016 as well as Evolution so use it with my FSX FS2004 and Steam. Actually I google everything anyway and have found folks who have had the same issue and tried their cure but didn't help. Who knows. I have had a few issues with REX before and after getting little help from them sometimes the issue just went away. Kind'a like the weather you never know, ha! Ha!

Mike G.

Got a response from REX today. The sent me a link to the latest REX 2004 Overdrive. It did take to attempts on my part but now it's working just fine. Didn't have to change any firewall settings either just installed an went flying. Thank you for all the responses though. It shows that you care. Even for a cantankerous old guy like me!

Mike G.

Archived