Ireland Scenery Products Question

Hello,

Can anyone tell me which of these is the better product for the entire island of Ireland (North + Republic)?

https://orbxdirect.com/product/IRL

Or

http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=886

Or

These two volume set...

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/dvds-flight-sims-c346/flight-sim-software-c499/microsoft-fs2004-add-ons-c815/vfr-photo-scenery-vol-10-p2788

I appreciate your time and input - Thanks advance

I haven't tried that VFR scenery. However, I was flying near Shannon a few minutes ago Real Weather & RT with ORBX EU Ireland. I also have Northern Ireland and all their UK products.

This is EICN.

EICN appr.jpg

Two shots of the Limerick area.

Limerick 2.jpg

limerick.jpg

A nearby refinery.

Refineary.jpg

Finally, two shots at Shannon. One of final, the other while taxiing.

shannon final.jpg

shannon taxi.jpg

Hope this helps!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

If you want autogen, you will want ORBX. If you want to fly over your house, you will want VFR photo scenery like Megescenery or the other photo scenery you showed (which, by the way, is for FS2004).

I recommend ORBX regions, as it really fixes up the whole FSX world. ORBX adds objects to local airports, adds landmarks like Rupert showed, fixes shorelines and re does landclass. The screenshots on their webite area a little out of proportion in quality, but even on my super low end computer it looks great

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://gac16.blogspot.com/

I haven't tried that VFR scenery. However, I was flying near Shannon a few minutes ago Real Weather & RT with ORBX EU Ireland. I also have Northern Ireland and all their UK products.

Hope this helps!

Michael

Hello,

Thanks for the replies and screen shots.

I would be interested to see some pics around the Donegal Lough Derg and river networks around that region. I flew around there once tracing rivers around the Foyle. The default scenery used to start off a lot of rivers but most ran dry somewhere along their path - must have been a drought when they were getting mapped! LOL! :)

Hos well represented is Belfast?

I will think about the packages. I do like the phot realistic scenery for GA flying. But I generally turn off autogen becuse it used to place buildings and trees in funny places, like the middle of a runway!!!

All the best :)

The biggest problem with photo-real scenery like MegaSceneryEarth is that it looks good when you're flying above about 2000ft but the closer to the ground you get, the more pixelated it becomes and the more flat and featureless it looks without autogen. Even if you spend most of your time at medium/high altitude, it still looks strange during take-off and landing - a total immersion killer for me. I had Orbx Ireland on my old system (haven't got round to installing it on my new sytem yet) and don't recall any problems with badly placed autogen.

+1!!!!:cool:

Hello,

Thanks for the replies and screen shots.

I would be interested to see some pics around the Donegal Lough Derg and river networks around that region. I flew around there once tracing rivers around the Foyle. The default scenery used to start off a lot of rivers but most ran dry somewhere along their path - must have been a drought when they were getting mapped! LOL! :)

Hos well represented is Belfast?

I will think about the packages. I do like the phot realistic scenery for GA flying. But I generally turn off autogen becuse it used to place buildings and trees in funny places, like the middle of a runway!!!

All the best :)

OK. Now I know what you want. You want the entire world to look as it looks from outer space (ie Google). That's a common issue I've run up against especially among Brits and Irishmen who live and die by their Ordinance Survey Map..

If it isn't exactly where it is on the OSM, it isn't correct! That's a yes and no answer. If it is "photoreal," it shows everything exactly where it is seen from outer space and your OSM. You are correct in that respect. However, "photoreal," being a shot from outer space has no depth definition. Yes your favorite boozer, your school, etc. are exactly in the spot they actually are as shown by the OSM. But they look like Gulliver had trod upon them during a walk through Liliput!!!!

So if you choose to enter your boozer for a pint, you'll have to get down on your hands and knees and crawl in. Then have your lid while laying flat because your favorite pub is displayed as less than 2' tall!!

Is that a good or a bad thing? It's your call. But before you spend a ton on one type of scenery or another, you need to decide what works best for you!!

If depth perception isn't as important as location, "photoreal" is probably something you should consider. However, unless you fly at FL20 or higher, it will look as though you are flying over Liliput!.

ORBX regions will fix autogen in weird places and randomly stopping and starting rivers. It's hard to fly anywhere else once you have flown in one for a while. :)

Read a lot of comments online on other forums about some not so good MS Ireland issues - strange pieces of land appearing, mix ups with defualt and VFR textures, and coastline issues - dont know if they were ever fixed but I'd like to read better things.

I have flown a lot of manmade scenery like Voz and The Very Singapore and have been very impressed. VOZ is especially good. Wasnt ORBX made by the Voz team?

Would like to see some screen pics of the Sydney and Newcastle/Port Stephens re Orbx Australia scenery. I am becmoing interested.

Playsims scenery is quite breathtaking - nice rendering of the scenery with the terrriain mesh. No complaints from me there. Great company, but if only someone did a good rendition of Ulster :)

Thanks for your feedback and support. I am leaning more toward upgrading to FSX and looking at Orbx.

Ulster? Do you mean like EGAD Newton Airds?

egad appr. jpg.jpg

egad runway jpg.jpg

Or perhaps EGAC Belfast City?

jpg EGAC APPROACH.jpg

jpg EGAC DEPART SOUTH.jpg

I've not been that far north, so I can't say how accurate this is. But this ORBX scenery does look pretty good to me.

Hope this helps,

Michael

• 3 years later...