Getting clearance and making notes

When I flew in VATSIM I always had to use a notepad and jot down my clearance instructions. There are just too many numbers to remember. Especially taxi instructions from ground. So my question is: Do real world pilots jot down clearance and taxiway instructions on a notepad?

I'm not 100% sure about commercial pilots (they probably have something similar), but just about every private and small aircraft pilot I've seen or known has either jotted down instructions on a notepad, or more recently a tablet.
PC Specs: MSI GE60 (laptop, useful for school)/ Intel I7-4710HQ @ 2.5GHz/ 8GB RAM/ 1TB HDD/ 128GB SSD/ nVidia GTX 850M/ CH Eclipse Yoke/ CH Pro Pedals/ TrackIR 5 Scenery That I Use: ORBX FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC NA, Trees HD, FreemeshX, REX Texture Direct w/ SC.

Yup, as David indicates. It's actually part of your training to be able to write notes about the clearance and, in some cases, write the entire clearance when it's changed from what you filed. Obviously you need some short of shorthand notation, since you can't write fast enough to copy the whole thing out on a single reading by ATC.

That's true enroute, also, as depending on memory for the (next/last) radio frequency, new clearance limit, etc. can result in doing things wrong.

This is a major reason that kneeboards became so popular in real aviation.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 2 weeks later...

I quickly realised when I started training that jotting down info was a good idea. I always had a kneepad ready for that eventuality though it was rare for me to use it in flight. Once or twice I forgot to pack the kneepad and had to remember the numbers for callback (and use). By then I was qualified and practised so it wasn't so bad, as the info was generally the same format every time, just the numbers themselves variable, and I was flying from a relatively unsophisticated airfield. It was practice and concentration that mattered then. In any case, if there was doubt, "Please confirm QNH" or whatever.

I also admit that one airline simulator (an old one, I forget what it was called) had me jotting down numbers because unlike the MS products the info wasn't passed on automatically.

Archived