How Do You Slave the GPS to the AP in the Alabeo Corvalis G1000

Ike Kant

I can get the hdg, alt and nav settings to work but can't figure out how to set the AP to fly the flight plan. Maybe you can't. I just assumed that since the default Mooney Acclaim has a switch for this the Corvalis must also. Any ideas? This is a marvelous airplane btw.
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. - Mae West

I can get the hdg, alt and nav settings to work but can't figure out how to set the AP to fly the flight plan. Maybe you can't. I just assumed that since the default Mooney Acclaim has a switch for this the Corvalis must also. Any ideas? This is a marvelous airplane btw.

Simply change the PFD to the source as GPS

Okay, I have it now. I just punched the CDI soft button on the PFD until it read GPS. Thanks much! Glass cockpits are a new thing for me. When I flew years ago it was in old '70s Cessnas and Pipers. This has been quite a change and getting comfortable with the new instruments hasn't been easy. You read everywhere that the new glass cockpit is easier and less distracting than the old analog instrument panel. I have to disagree since I spend more time staring at the LCD displays than looking outside.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I have it now. I just punched the CDI soft button on the PFD until it read GPS. Thanks much! Glass cockpits are a new thing for me. When I flew years ago it was in old '70s Cessnas and Pipers. This has been quite a change and getting comfortable with the new instruments hasn't been easy. You read everywhere that the new glass cockpit is easier and less distracting than the old analog instrument panel. I have to disagree since I spend more time staring at the LCD displays than looking outside.

Actually that's only an indication that further training and practise is required, not a fault of the electronics. The instrument scan of steam gauges has been proven time and again by ergonomists and pilots to be less effective and more time consuming. When you add GPS to the equation that CAN cause longer time `eyes in`.

When I transitioned to glass IRL I thought as you did.

40 hours later I didn't, and never have again.

Now looking forward (sic) to GA HUD and VR glasses that display key info in front of the eyes while still `eyes out`. With voice-activation and automated phase setting things are going to get very interesting with the amount of data and how it is quickly processed by the PIC over the next few years.

I think I can understand the efficacy of the new instruments and will practice. In the real world if I didn't have osteo-arthritis in my thumbs I'd be totally happy building and flying a simple Skystar Kitfox. I just really like old things given that I own three classic Euro sports cars and a retro looking motorcycle (Suzuki TU250X). kitfoxpanel.jpg

Archived