True versus magnetic heading with the GPS

Stanley777

Hi everyone,

My question pertains to what happens when I am driving a boat and not flying an aircraft. However, I don't think that affects the issue involved.

When I use the GPS screen containing the compass rose, or using the compass on the vessel, it shows what I have independently confirmed to be the true heading.

When I use the other GPS screen -- that is, the one without the compass rose -- it shows what makes sense to be the magnetic heading. I am certain that this is the case. For the region of the world where I am driving my vessel, I have determined using NOAA charts what the magnetic variation is, and the GPS screen without the compass rose consistently shows that heading.

So here is my question, please. Why does the screen containing the compass rose refer to the heading as "magnetic"? And it does this. At the top of the screen, it writes down TRK 200°M (I am making up a number). However, I believe that the track is not 200°M. Rather, the track is 200° true.

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Archived