Creation of taxiable slipway

GDALE14853

Hi,

I'm trying to create a Flying Boat base (using ADEX by Scruffyduck) - I've got water runways OK and variety of land objects either from downloaded libraries or my own objects created with Sketchup, Model Converter & Library Creator - what I'd like to do is create a slipway from my Aircraft hard-standing area (10ft above water level) down into the lake and make it useable for amphibious aircraft to taxi out of the lake onto the shore. I've built a slipway model using sketchup etc as per other models, and made it sit where I want it, with top flush to my concrete hard-standing and slip going down into water, but so far I can't make it useable for aircraft - if I clear the 'detect crashes' setting my aircraft simply taxies through the object - if I re-select 'detect crashes' then the plane crashes on contact with the object!

Does anyone have any hints as to how I could achieve what I'm looking for? I have some other 'water-aircraft bases' that have useable slipways (not built by me, obviously!)

Regards,

Geoff

I'm guessing maybe there has to be a start where the slipway is level with the water. Like the beach you push on to, and then the wheels pop out.

I'm not sure if you mean switching off crash in fs. But you can also add an object and then switch crash detect off just for that object. You do that in adex.

I have a 2runway airport. One has birds with crashes on, the other runway crashes are off. Goarounds are a gamble there.:)

(actually, it may not work, as I fly right through the non-crash birds. Just sending out some ideas.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I've done a bit more looking up in view of your comments - I had found the 'crash detect on-off' selection in object edit in ADEX - I get the same sort of result whether it's the 'crash detect' in FSX Settings I'm changing, or the setting for the object!

I created my slipway deeper than the 10ft difference there is between my 'airport' apron and the water level, though I'm not the least bit sure if an amphibious aircraft's wheels can contact a surface beneath the water or not!? I just created the object with its 'origin point' suitably levelled to make the top of the slipway appear at the apron 'ground' level - that didn't prove too hard to achieve

On looking at 'hardened' surfaces, the main problem I think I've got is trying to have a hardened 'slope'! - I still haven't found out if this is possible!

Regards

G

• 2 weeks later...

To try and help I attempted to create a slipway as well. But without success.

I'm very new to designing, and still an at the beginning of the learning curve. I created simple default shapes a while back. And managed to texture them, but that was it.

I got close to getting a slipway to test with, but it wasn't really the correct shape, and then the texturing got of fully stuck again.

Then other things took over and working on it further was not an option. If I find time later I'll have a go again, from scratch probably. I find a slipway a very cool idea.

It could be quite a while before I find the time, but if I have success with it I'll surely post/contact you.

In the mean time, good luck with this project,

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks "il88pp" - I've had some help now thanks to "Ryapad" and his friend Doug!

Doug stated "I'm no expert, but I'll forward you on to a guy who can probably help" - this was "Steve" and with his assistance I now have a fully taxiable slipway at my Flying Boat Base (Model Converter X turned out to be the key - it's just knowing what to do with the tools available in that excellent little utility!)

Below is a screenshot of my first aircraft going up the slip

Archdale Dock Slipway-4.JPG

The tower is a somewhat fanciful idea I had for what would suit the location (another sketchup creation)

I had tried to see if the slipway could 'extend below water level' so that the aircraft contacted smoothly, but this has proved not to have worked. She 'bounces' a bit on initial contact coming out, and 'drops in' quite suddenly coming down, but I can live with it!

Thanks to all for the replies

Happy landings!

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

That 'bump' is due to separation, or vertical distance, of 'Gear' and 'Floats'. Essentially you have to put floats no more than 0.2 difference (ie: less) than gear to not get that bump (and drop). Easy fix. I will give sample below including compression ratios. They work best if 'tweaked' at the same time you make changes.

GEAR: Main Gear:Vert pos: -5.000. Tail gear: vert pos: -2.900.

Compression: MainGear: 0.50, 2.5, 0.85 . TailGear: 0.42, 4.0, 0.90.

Floats: MFloats:Vert pos: -4.800. TFloat:Vert pos: -2.100 (closer to fuselage not gear).

Compression: MainFloats: 0.10, 4.5, 1.00. TailFloat: 0.10, 4.5, 1.00.

This is an example of the vert pos DIFFERENCES. But the compression ratios is what I recommend. Try it and see. If done correctly you can hit 'edge' at 20 kts with no jump or bump. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks very much for the info, Chuck - I've never really tried any alterations to the config other than specifics recommended by more knowledgeable guys - I'll give this a bit of a dabble and see how I get on - It'd be nice to have the plane ride out of the water smoothly if I can get it there!

Cheers,

Geoff

I don't know which amphib you are using. If I could get the author, or zip, I could fix it for you. The floats are flexible. So you put them where they will make the ship look good when in the water. With taildraggers you put the tail float(s) FORWARD of the actual tailwheel and against the fuselage so it looks good when in the water. So it could be anywhere from '-2.0' to '-2.7' less vertical than actual wheel position. But, cigerette butt, the tailwheel float COULD be the same (vertically) as main gear floats due to pitch of body. You have to play with it. OK? OK!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 2 months later...

Hi again, Chuck

Sorry for the delay in reply to your last post - been 'off grid' for a while!

The Amphibian I was using mainly was a model of a quite rare Shorts Bros product from the early post-WW2 years, (their last commercial flying-boat product), the Short Sealand. It was a twin prop 'executive-type' aircraft, but not all that many were produced!

I found the zip file 'Sbhsa6.zip' at 'Avsim.com' - author was Peter Larkham

Thanks again

Regards,

Geoff

Archived