Commercial Pilot Shadowing Experience

Hello everyone. For graduation at my school, it is required that everyone participates in a career shadow experience. In short, you go to work with someone for a day to see if you have any interest in the career. In my case, I want to be a commercial airline pilot. I've been wanting to be a pilot for years. I was wondering if the community of pilots would know if commercial airlines would allow me to go up in a plane and watch the pilots in action. I understand that I might not be able to due to security reasons, but I wanted to see everyone's opinion. I have not contacted any airline yet because I wanted to see what other pilots have to say. If you could get back to me on if you think this could be a possibility, please let me know :)

My father was a United Airlines pilot for many many years. When I was growing up, he would take me on trips with him. Hawaii on DC-8's, up and down the California coast in 737's on shuttle flights, and so on. Even went to semi-annual training with him a couple times.

Having said all that, from the time the cockpit door closed before push-back until it opened after engine shutdown at the gate, I didn't get to enter the cockpit. It was OFF LIMITS, in capitol letters. FORBIDDEN territory. I sat in the passenger section with the rest.

I got to see the preflight, the planning, all the paper-work, and so on. Every part of what a commercial airline pilot does. EXCEPT the cockpit during flight ops. Only during the semi-annual training did I see the cockpit during flight, and that was a simulator. Not a real aircraft. Honestly, I did pretty good on emergency procedures during a few of those "flights", simulated though they were.

Does that tell you what you might be able to see while shadowing a pilot?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pat gives a good idea of what to expect, except that it might be even more strict today, with all the increased emphasis on security. But let me suggest that you go ahead and touch base with an airline in your area -- the most they can do is say no, and you will likely gain more current information. It's possible you'd even have a pleasant surprise, though I wouldn't hold my breath...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 1 year later...

This is an older post, but since I am new here I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth...

See if you can find a commercial operator that flies Cessna 208 Caravans in your area. There is no cabin door between passengers and crew, and you may be able to talk them into sitting in the next seat back and plugging in a headset to see the whole thing.

If you are anywhere in Western Washington State shoot me a PM and I might be able to help...

Archived